2 Pages V  < 1 2  
New 09 Malmsteen Strat – Quick Analysis
Hammerhead
May 14 2009, 04:54 PM
GMC:er
Gary,
I have to say it is heaven... we are an active family, my wife runs marathons and we all like to play hard so we felt like we needed to live somewhere where we could spend a lot of time outside!

I posted this issue of the straight neck on the Fender forum and have been getting some hits. One guy said this is the 3rtd post he's read regarding the issue with the Malmsteen guitar. I will forward what I find out. THere have been some suggestions... but you can look also on the Fedner Forum under stratocasters. cool.gif I'm Hammerhead in that forum also...

Hey Robert,
We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village hotel. It is pricey there but very nice.. . I really enjoyed our stay. I have been to Maui a few times as well.. man you are living in heaven cool.gif !

I have decided that I am going to take the Malmsteen over to a guy that did some tune up work on my older Strat. He is very knowledgable and has a large list of well known pro clients that he provides service to. He is also a Fender authorized tech so I feel confident he can dial it in. I will ask him if this is a common problem and such as well. I probably will not make it there until next week some time. I will post back after I get his input.

Gary
[/quote]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
May 17 2009, 11:09 PM
Gary,Gary Gary.... cool.gif

I have done it! I was able to follow the advice given to me on the Fender forum and adjust the neck!!! Yep loosen all the strings, then loosen the screws on the back of the neck. Just loosen them, don't take them too far out. For me the strings slowly angled down the neck towards the floor or towards the volume knob. So I pulled the neck up...towards the ceiling and with just a bit of resistance... the neck moved. I think that there may have been a bit of paint or something holding the neck to the body. It made a sound when it freed up. then I was able to move readjust the angle of the neck, and screw it back into place. I alternated, tightening each screw just a bit, (like when you change a tire on your car) so there was even tension on the neck plate as I tightened it. The I tuned her back up a Voila! Not very hard at all. wink.gif

I suspect that Fender just pushed these guitars out the door faster than they should have. I was told that this can be an issue with any bolt on neck! So there you have it. Takes 15 minutes and you're gonna love it!!!!

R ph34r.gif bert

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hammerhead: May 17 2009, 11:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
May 18 2009, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Man, it seems kind of strange that an expensive guitar like this has the neck set wrong, it isn't hard to fix sometimes simply loosening the screws and slightly pulling on the neck fixes the issue.

I tried playing this guitar, and although the scalloped helps the vibrato a lot, it just didn't feel right, I guess I'd have to get one and practice on it until it feels natural.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Gary
May 19 2009, 02:25 AM
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ May 17 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Gary,Gary Gary.... cool.gif

I have done it! I was able to follow the advice given to me on the Fender forum and adjust the neck!!! Yep loosen all the strings, then loosen the screws on the back of the neck. Just loosen them, don't take them too far out. For me the strings slowly angled down the neck towards the floor or towards the volume knob. So I pulled the neck up...towards the ceiling and with just a bit of resistance... the neck moved. I think that there may have been a bit of paint or something holding the neck to the body. It made a sound when it freed up. then I was able to move readjust the angle of the neck, and screw it back into place. I alternated, tightening each screw just a bit, (like when you change a tire on your car) so there was even tension on the neck plate as I tightened it. The I tuned her back up a Voila! Not very hard at all. wink.gif

I suspect that Fender just pushed these guitars out the door faster than they should have. I was told that this can be an issue with any bolt on neck! So there you have it. Takes 15 minutes and you're gonna love it!!!!

R ph34r.gif bert

Excellent News Robert biggrin.gif
I called the guitar tech today before I read your post and explained the situation to him. He stated it was a common issue that was resolved via a simple neck adjustment. I will do it myself as you have done. Appreciate the effort you put into posting on the Fender board and returning the information here. As Jose stated it's a bit of a bummer that a guitar at this price point was not set up exact from the factory... but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Cheers and Thanks~
Gary

This post has been edited by Gary: May 24 2009, 09:05 PM

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
May 23 2009, 12:50 AM
I'm glad I could help... Gary can I ask, are both of your tone knobs the same. I seem to have one "Delta Tone" I think they call it, where there is a a bypass of the pot at the 10 position. The second tone knob doesn't have this? I looked on the fender site to get the specs but they only list one tone knob for the guitar? SO... I thought I'd check with you to see what you've got? cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gary
May 24 2009, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ May 23 2009, 12:50 AM) *
I'm glad I could help... Gary can I ask, are both of your tone knobs the same. I seem to have one "Delta Tone" I think they call it, where there is a a bypass of the pot at the 10 position. The second tone knob doesn't have this? I looked on the fender site to get the specs but they only list one tone knob for the guitar? SO... I thought I'd check with you to see what you've got? cool.gif

Aloha Robert,

I played with the tone controls a bit and did not see anything that seemed out of the ordinary to me. The top tone control only affects only the neck pick up, while the bottom pot controls the middle and bridge pickups. If I turned either of the tone controls to the ten position it did not seem to do anthing other max out the tone for the associated pick up.
Let me know if there is a certain test for determining the delta tone setup, I will be happy to do it...right now though I am seeing what I would expect to see.

The one thing I discovered is that although the pickup switch has only three positions you can actually place the switch "between" the factory settings, thus picking up two addtional positions (you end up with a 5 position switch). I believe it was common for guitarist to do this before Fender came out with the 5 position switch. If you play with this you see what I mean. Just move the switch to a position between say the bridge and mid pickup, you will not feel the switch engage but it will stay there..you will hear that both pickups are active.

BTW: I adjusted the neck on mine and it came out great.. took a whole three minutes biggrin.gif

Gary

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
May 26 2009, 06:50 AM
Gary,
Thanks for the heads up about the 3 way switch... I will try that! I did buy a 5 way switch and figured this summer I would install it. But this is great to know, I didn't realize that players did this before the birth of the 5 way. I did read that Leo at first didn't think that players would be interested in that many options huh.gif

The tone knobs should have an indent, a very noticeable stop at the 10th position. You have to nudge it in and out of here. If you had it you would know it. I did look on the Fender site again and it seems that both tone knobs are supposed to do this! If you have a local music shop just ask if they have a guitar that has one... you could at least see what I'm going on about.

Hmmm... one of mine does this but the other does not. I wonder... I have to check though "cause I though my tone 1 worked for the bridge only, and tone 2 worked for the neck and middle... I'll have to double check. I have been playing a lot and I have to say this guitar is getting sweeter everyday! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
May 27 2009, 12:42 AM
Aloha Gary,
I copied this review of the "no-load" pot fender uses...I think also called Delta tone...
roduct Description
Product Description
The no load is used on some USA Strats, Teles and Fender basses. Wired like a standard tone control.. From settings 1-9 it works like a standard tone then clicks out out of the circuit at 10 (full clockwise/ bright setting) removing both the pot and capacitor from the circuit. This eliminates the path to ground that exists with standard pots even in the full treble position. By eliminating the path to ground thru the pot, the only load on the pickup is the volume pot. So if 250K pots are used, the load is reduced from 125K to 250K and if 500K pots are used, the load is reduced from 250K to 500K (high resistance = low load) The reduced load allows more power output from he pickup and reduces the amount of high frequencies that bleed off to ground. This gives a noticeable increase in brightness and output in the full treble setting. The no load pot can be used in place of any standard tone control on any guitar or bass. Superior Quality Split, Knurled Shaft With Nut, Lock & Dress Washer. Perfect for a vintage replacement or an upgrade for ohter instruments. Brand new stock.

It's interesting that one of mine works, the other one does not and that it seems neither of you tone knobs "clock" into position. I have to say it does what it's advertised to do, it make the tone stand out more with more brightness and attack. It does cut right through. It's nice with the bridge p.u. since it's a humbucker and doesn't get too bright. I'm gonna keep digging.
RObert cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gary
May 27 2009, 04:15 AM
Aloha Robert...
I now recognize that I made a mistake laugh.gif
The bottom tone control felt a bit tighter than the one above it. After taking a closer look I noticed that when I place this control it in the ten position it does feel as if there is slight detent in the shaft. I also notice that the knob drops down just a bit towards the pick guard. Suffice to say I think I have the Delta Tone system too rolleyes.gif

I have been playing though a very small Epiphone pratice amp along with the Pandora PX5D for distortion. I usually play after the family goes bed and therefore play at low volume. Due to this I have not noticed a significant difference when the bottom tone control is maxed out. I do have a early 70's Fender Super Reverb tube amp that that has been stowed away for 20+ years.. hehe. I am thinking I need to bust that baby out and properly test this issue.

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
May 27 2009, 05:46 AM
Yep! I think it's time to crank that amp up cool.gif Send the family to the store... I had a Fender Twin rRverb, back in the old days. Man I could just kick myself for getting rid of it!

Robert

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:23 PM