Announcement: Tabs Of Copyrighted Somgs
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 25 2008, 01:59 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Dear all,

In a couple of threads in the last 24 hours we have had discussions about publishing of tabs on GMC for various reasons - the moderators have brought this to Kris attention and we have discussed what we can and can't do from a legal standpoint. So, here are the guidelines that came out of this - we'd be grateful if you could help us by keeping these in mind!

In general, posting a tab of a copyrighted song, even if it is your interpretation is a legal grey area. The record companies believe that they have the rights to the tabs and have on many occasions forced sites to stop publishing tabs by issuing cease and desist letters. Whilst there are fair use exclusions in copyright law, these are limited, and it is not clear how far even an educational site such as GMC could go. Claiming that a tab is your own interpretation doesn't impress the recrd companies, even though this may not have been tested in law, they will certainly try to enforce their copyright even in this case. These guidelines are about preventing GMC falling foul of any of these areas, and potentialy being told to cease and desist, or worse, being shut down for copyright infringement. So with that in mind, here are the guidelines!

1. Tabs of your own music, or music that is not copyrighted, or music for which you own the copyright are absolutely fine to post for any reason

2. Long or full length tabs of copyrighted songs are to be avoided, and shouldn't be posted in any form on GMC.

2. Small snippets of tabs - lets say a couple of bars, to ask questions on techniques, how to play, or if you have transcribed correctly are still technically copyrigh violations, so please keep these to a minimum and use them only if the purpose is clearly educational.

That's it - thanks for reading!

Regards,

Andrew, Kris and the Moderator Team

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
steve25
Jun 25 2008, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
Good points, although doesn't copyright only stand for a maximum of 25 years? Or am i maistaking this for trademark? I believe copyright has to be renewed every 5 years with the initial starting copyright lasting for 5 years. So if it is a fairly old song i think copyright no longer stands on it.

Also sites like UG are in an area where the tab copyright does not apply to them so accessing tabs is fine from there. If you buy tab though could you then put some of it here on GMC you know for educational purposes because you've bought legal tab? I take it putting in the style of with similar tabs would not be illegal and doing covers for educational purposes only would also not be illegal.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:19 PM