Sliding From Sweep Shape To Sweep Shape, How is this done/good practice techniques?
Stratman58
Jan 30 2008, 02:00 AM
GMC:er
Wassup fellow GMCers wink.gif
Been away for quite a bit and WOW!.... what an improvement in terms of site layout, features, and more teachers/users now then ever!

Anyway, cutting to the point..
A friend and I are always going at it during our 2nd period in high school. We have one big amp, he has his jackson, and I have my ibanez, and we'll just trade back and forth the cord to show off tongue.gif

Today he pulled off some killer sweeps. It wasn't just ascending and then descending, but rather he would ascend and on the high b or e string, slide over to another spot on the neck, and descend! It sounded absolutely awesome. Of course, out of courtesy we don't ask eachother how we do certain licks, but just show off tongue.gif

So are there any sweep shapes/patterns to practice this with? Any good lessons on this?
Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jan 30 2008, 04:50 AM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Jan 30 2008, 02:00 AM) *
Been away for quite a bit and WOW!.... what an improvement in terms of site layout, features, and more teachers/users now then ever!

A friend and I are always going at it during our 2nd period in high school. We have one big amp, he has his jackson, and I have my ibanez, and we'll just trade back and forth the cord to show off tongue.gif

Today he pulled off some killer sweeps. It wasn't just ascending and then descending, but rather he would ascend and on the high b or e string, slide over to another spot on the neck, and descend! It sounded absolutely awesome. Of course, out of courtesy we don't ask eachother how we do certain licks, but just show off tongue.gif

So are there any sweep shapes/patterns to practice this with? Any good lessons on this?
Thanks

I know exactly what you are talking about, for example Tornado of Souls or Sea of Lies. First of all since the types of slides you are talking about occur with the pinky and maybe ring finger, you need to be able to slide fluently from any fret to any fret with all 4 fingers. Just practice sliding with the pinky from the 3rd fret to the 17th or something very fast until you accuracy is dead on and you never miss or stop early before it. Once you get this down, you can incorporate it into sliding between arpeggio shapes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 30 2008, 05:00 AM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Jan 29 2008, 07:00 PM) *

Thanks

its really hard to do and takes alot of practice, usually you manage to do it easily with 3 string sweeps, but with 5 strings its really hard, at least for me. take a look at Pavel's 5 string sweeping lesson, i think you can find what you need there. smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jan 30 2008, 05:00 AM
Nice nice, I'll give that one a shot!

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jan 30 2008, 05:04 AM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Jan 30 2008, 05:00 AM) *
Nice nice, I'll give that one a shot!

Oh yea, whenever you feel up to the challenge learn the intro to "Smoke and Mirrors" by Symphony X. It consists of sliding between 5-string shapes over and over and I believe it incorporates the three major and minor shapes.

Here is a tab, just play it slow. They are sixteeth note triplets, or 6 notes per beat.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/symp...mirrors_tab.htm

Play that at a fast speed and your friend will be impressed in no time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 30 2008, 05:09 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 29 2008, 10:04 PM) *
Oh yea, whenever you feel up to the challenge learn the intro to "Smoke and Mirrors" by Symphony X. It consists of sliding between 5-string shapes over and over and I believe it incorporates the three major and minor shapes.

Here is a tab, just play it slow. They are sixteeth note triplets, or 6 notes per beat.

sounds interesting, ill check that song out, i know that was addressed to stratman, but i wanna see those sweeps if you dont mind, after all, Symphony X rocks biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Stratman58
Jan 30 2008, 05:11 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 29 2008, 08:04 PM) *

Holy! I just youtubed a couple vids of this live, and of dudes playing the intro..definitely a challenge!
Thanks for the heads up man, gonna attempt this one smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:58 PM