Locking Myself In A Room
shatterd
Aug 15 2010, 02:58 PM
GMC:er
I'm locking myself in a room until I master Daniel Realpe's 'Overture 1928' by Dream Theater. I will not quit until I completely master that song. I hope to post a video when I'm ready to record it. Thanks Daniel for this awesome lesson. This will be my first complete song lesson on GMC. I've done shorter lessons here but this is the longest one so far......a complete song. This song is a perfect choice for me because Dream Theater and John Petrucci is/are my biggest influence. Also this song is an instrumental. There is only one guitar track(no concurrent rythm/solo) so that also makes it perfect because I can play the entire song one track. Finally it is only a level 6 lesson. I'm an intermediate player...probably a level 5. So that makes this song within my reach to accomplish. OK gotta get to work on this brilliant song. I think it is one of those songs where you can really impress people by playing it perfectly because it sounds much more complex than it really is. Thanks for listening!

P.S...the backing track for this lesson is incredible. It almost sounds as if it was made by Dream Theater themselves...LOL!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shatterd: Aug 15 2010, 03:04 PM

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Aug 15 2010, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Good luck man !!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 15 2010, 03:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, good luck! I've been wanting to learn it, but my difficulty range is within 3-4. So it will require a lot more effort on my part. But heck, I've gone far with Canon Rock (7) and it is a harder song! biggrin.gif

This topic has just now motivated me. I'll have to work on it as well. smile.gif

+Quote Post
shatterd
Aug 15 2010, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 15 2010, 02:25 PM) *
Yeah, good luck! I've been wanting to learn it, but my difficulty range is within 3-4. So it will require a lot more effort on my part. But heck, I've gone far with Canon Rock (7) and it is a harder song! biggrin.gif

This topic has just now motivated me. I'll have to work on it as well. smile.gif

Fireball....just do it. The lesson will challenge you. Ultimately that is how we improve. We are pulled up to that higher level by getting out of our comfort zone. You can do it. It's going to be a challenge, but it's so much more stimulating playing songs that WOW you....songs that you love to listen to. Those are the songs that you are drawn to.

I'm thinking this is going to take me about a month to learn. Maybe more to master it.

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 15 2010, 10:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (shatterd @ Aug 15 2010, 03:58 PM) *
I'm locking myself in a room until I master Daniel Realpe's 'Overture 1928' by Dream Theater. I will not quit until I completely master that song. I hope to post a video when I'm ready to record it. Thanks Daniel for this awesome lesson. This will be my first complete song lesson on GMC. I've done shorter lessons here but this is the longest one so far......a complete song. This song is a perfect choice for me because Dream Theater and John Petrucci is/are my biggest influence. Also this song is an instrumental. There is only one guitar track(no concurrent rythm/solo) so that also makes it perfect because I can play the entire song one track. Finally it is only a level 6 lesson. I'm an intermediate player...probably a level 5. So that makes this song within my reach to accomplish. OK gotta get to work on this brilliant song. I think it is one of those songs where you can really impress people by playing it perfectly because it sounds much more complex than it really is. Thanks for listening!

P.S...the backing track for this lesson is incredible. It almost sounds as if it was made by Dream Theater themselves...LOL!!!

This is a very good approach! Choosing goals that are within our reach not only that will help us get better fast but also they will provide great motivation for development! Good luck and looking forward to hear how its going smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2010, 11:32 PM
Practice, practice, practice smile.gif Go for it! Just don't injure yourself! Take frequent breaks, do some gentle wrist stretches, hand stretches, etc. Maybe ice your forearms down with an ice cube after along practice session to reduce inflammation. Take care of your arms and hands smile.gif But as long as you aren't in pain, keep playing!

Todd

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 16 2010, 12:37 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Excellent man, I'm sure you'll make it with hard work!

Oh, and eventually get someone to bring you some food through the window or something wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Aug 22 2010, 12:46 PM
Jazz Instructor
Good luck! smile.gif
There is no point locking your self, when you got the key. But great attitude, great discipline, Rock discipline! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 22 2010, 06:53 PM
Instructor
good stuff!!! keep at it!!

challenging yourself is the only way to get better at anything,

let me know if you need help on anything!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Aug 23 2010, 12:44 PM
Jazz Instructor
Your story got the press coverage! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 23 2010, 12:49 PM
Instructor
Go for it man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 23 2010, 01:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Aug 22 2010, 01:46 PM) *
Good luck! smile.gif
There is no point locking your self, when you got the key. But great attitude, great discipline, Rock discipline! wink.gif

Well, You can always eat the key. Then it will take at least some 16 hours before You got it back, if You havent learned the piece by then, its only to.... (censoring myself)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 11 2010, 04:33 PM
Instructor
how is it going with the lesson?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:15 AM