I Am Osiris
osiris
Jan 21 2013, 08:21 AM
GMC:er
Hi, I'm Anders from Stockholm! I bought my first electric and started playing seriously about five years ago. With two small children practice time is scarce, and I often have more time posting on my blog OSIRIS GUITAR than actually playing guitar. I have a masters degree in computer science so my approach to guitar playing is very digital - so ask me about amp modeling and DAWs, not about vintage Marshalls :-D.

I'm currently struggling with solos, so I look forward to learning a lot about lead playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 10:11 AM
Instructor
Hello Anders! Welcome to GMC! We are always glad to help out so please let us know what exactly are you interested in about solos biggrin.gif Some recordings would help enormously biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 21 2013, 10:22 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 10:11 AM) *
Hello Anders! Welcome to GMC! We are always glad to help out so please let us know what exactly are you interested in about solos biggrin.gif Some recordings would help enormously biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Thanks!

My biggest gripe is getting lead play to flow effortlessly, everything feels forced somehow and like it's a mechanic block (my finger just don't move fast enough). For me there's this breakpoint where a song is suddenly in my fingers instead of a concious effort. You know, when you can play stuff relaxed and without looking at the fretboard. I always get there with rhythm with enough practice but seldom with solos...

Here's one of my songs, happy with most of it except the solo ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/osirisguitar/song-5-final

This post has been edited by osiris: Jan 21 2013, 10:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Hey man - I think it doesn't sound that bad as you say smile.gif

The thing which you are speaking of, will occur in time with lots of practice on ear training and applied theory. In lesser words, being able to transpose what you hear in your head, on the guitar, in real time, allowing your ears to guide you. After practicing something long enough, it will become a second nature to you, so you'll be able to use it at will. It's the same with soloing smile.gif

We can develop this subject further more if you'd like smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 21 2013, 12:50 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Hey man - I think it doesn't sound that bad as you say smile.gif

The thing which you are speaking of, will occur in time with lots of practice on ear training and applied theory. In lesser words, being able to transpose what you hear in your head, on the guitar, in real time, allowing your ears to guide you. After practicing something long enough, it will become a second nature to you, so you'll be able to use it at will. It's the same with soloing smile.gif

We can develop this subject further more if you'd like smile.gif

Cosmin

Yeah, I'm totally on board with that practice is what I need :-).

Currently there's a big gap in the transposition process - I always write better riffs by dreaming them up in my head and humming them into the Soundcloud app on my phone, and then map them out on the fretboard later. With guitar in hand I always get stuck in the same old keys/licks/riffs I always play. I think I'll try the same with solos, sing them first and map them out second - with time that will hopefully translate into my hands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2013, 01:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Anders! Welcome to GMC! I'm checking your blog and there is a lot of interesting and inspiring stuff there! Regarding soloing, Cosmin give you they key for this, ear training is VERY important for composing and improvising. Learning and experimenting with scales is another important thing for this as well as learning licks from your favourite guitar players.

Ok mate, enjoy the site and let us know if you need some help.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 02:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (osiris @ Jan 21 2013, 11:50 AM) *
Yeah, I'm totally on board with that practice is what I need :-).

Currently there's a big gap in the transposition process - I always write better riffs by dreaming them up in my head and humming them into the Soundcloud app on my phone, and then map them out on the fretboard later. With guitar in hand I always get stuck in the same old keys/licks/riffs I always play. I think I'll try the same with solos, sing them first and map them out second - with time that will hopefully translate into my hands.

Good call mate - how about if we make a deal smile.gif You work on a solo, without touching your guitar in the conceptual stage - hum it in the phone or any other recording device, ok? THEN lean how to play it on the guitar and record it with the guitar, make a movie and post it here biggrin.gif

How does this sound? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jan 21 2013, 03:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
Welcome, fellow Swede! smile.gif

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 21 2013, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 02:28 PM) *
Good call mate - how about if we make a deal smile.gif You work on a solo, without touching your guitar in the conceptual stage - hum it in the phone or any other recording device, ok? THEN lean how to play it on the guitar and record it with the guitar, make a movie and post it here biggrin.gif

How does this sound? smile.gif

Cosmin

Haha, sounds like a challenge! I'll do it, I just can't guarantee how long time it'll take with my current situation wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 11:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (osiris @ Jan 21 2013, 10:05 PM) *
Haha, sounds like a challenge! I'll do it, I just can't guarantee how long time it'll take with my current situation wink.gif

Take your time buddy! No hurry - it will get better and better, but let's see what you get smile.gif We can do this in a mentoring thread if you'd like !

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 22 2013, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the forum Anders. smile.gif

I wish I'd realised the importance of ear training and being able to really "listen" to what the backing track / other players are doing. I spent years in the wilderness making recordings which totally lacked any quality at all on the lead work. Playing with the different scales and flavours you can get with those also took me years to unlock - David Wallimann took the mystery out of scales and modes was a key influence there (explained in a way that related to physically playing and not with regard to mountains of theory).

Seems like you're going to find some great help here - hope it all goes well. I've only just joined the forum and I have the feeling there's a huge amount of help to be found here.

I took a break form playing completely for many years when the family were growing up - I can understand very well how you find difficulty finding time / opportunity for guitar.

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 09:47 AM
Instructor
Good words smile.gif And yes, we are here to help out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 22 2013, 11:06 AM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC Anders smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 02:12 AM
Boy o boy have you come to the perfect place. If GMC can't get you to that magic spot of flowing lead playing, no place can smile.gif As the guys have mentioned, there is a good bit of practice sitting between you and your goals, but as a computer science guy, I"m sure you can see the formula/sequence involved in getting there! Bit by bit, line by line.

I'm a big fan of playing solos smile.gif I LOVE playing solos. I honestly like it better than just about anything. And as with most things, it's something that comes with "Doing". Playing scales, patterns, learning theory, etc. all can contribute, but over the many years I've spent playing, I"ve found the best results I've seen on playing solos has actually come from, PLAYING SOLOS!!! To that end, I"d say join as many of our COLLABS as humanly possible to essentially force you to summon your talent, create a solo and submit it by deadline. This discipline is not for everyone. But it is invaluable IMHO in order to see measurable progress in a timely manner.

Here is a recent solo I did for one of our recent collabs, for example. wink.gif

QUOTE (osiris @ Jan 21 2013, 02:21 AM) *
Hi, I'm Anders from Stockholm! I bought my first electric and started playing seriously about five years ago. With two small children practice time is scarce, and I often have more time posting on my blog OSIRIS GUITAR than actually playing guitar. I have a masters degree in computer science so my approach to guitar playing is very digital - so ask me about amp modeling and DAWs, not about vintage Marshalls :-D.

I'm currently struggling with solos, so I look forward to learning a lot about lead playing.

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 25 2013, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2013, 01:12 AM) *
I'm a big fan of playing solos smile.gif I LOVE playing solos. I honestly like it better than just about anything. And as with most things, it's something that comes with "Doing". Playing scales, patterns, learning theory, etc. all can contribute, but over the many years I've spent playing, I"ve found the best results I've seen on playing solos has actually come from, PLAYING SOLOS!!!

Absolutely - agreed 110%. An improv solo (when it goes well) takes my head to a place as near as paradise as I'm likely to get.

Though it'd take me several recording to string as many note stogether as you've got in that collab Todd - nice playing there! smile.gif

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post
osiris
Mar 25 2013, 10:20 AM
Hey! I'm not dead or anything, but I've been completely swamped at work and the two daughters have been sick in various intervals.

Noodling around this weekend trying out my new audio interface I suddenly realized I play lead sooo much better when I crank up gain. I generally like to keep distortion down a bit when playing rhythm to preserve dynamics, but with too little distortion I just pick too hard and press strings too hard when playing lead. With distortion up I let the guitar do more of the work and my playing is just so much faster when I pick and fret lighter...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2013, 05:58 AM
Bingo smile.gif

QUOTE (osiris @ Mar 25 2013, 05:20 AM) *
Hey! I'm not dead or anything, but I've been completely swamped at work and the two daughters have been sick in various intervals.

Noodling around this weekend trying out my new audio interface I suddenly realized I play lead sooo much better when I crank up gain. I generally like to keep distortion down a bit when playing rhythm to preserve dynamics, but with too little distortion I just pick too hard and press strings too hard when playing lead. With distortion up I let the guitar do more of the work and my playing is just so much faster when I pick and fret lighter...

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 26 2013, 01:47 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome aboard! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 27 2013, 04:05 AM
My reply on that was probably too short smile.gif I was trying to say I agree on the concept of gain. While I appreciate a LOW GAIN setting in certain circumstances, for most of my lead work I honestly prefer higher gain since it lets the hand no over work or over commit to any one strike or fret. So I'm with you there smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (osiris @ Mar 25 2013, 05:20 AM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2013, 09:26 AM
Instructor
Regarding gain - I started preferring lower gain settings in many contexts simply because it's the best way to bring out the dynamics in your playing.

The first time i had to deal with this, felt very awkward: I was at the rehearsals before a show with the orchestra and everyone had to lower their gain because the guitars were simply too loud for that context laugh.gif Imagine what we ALL felt like. As we were each taking turns playing our parts, the organizer - who is also a musician - came by and lowered the gain to the point that he felt was satisfactory for the context. I had one day to re-organize my approach towards playing my parts. Otherwise I would've failed the gig. It served me incredibly well, in the end and I am grateful for the experience, but at first it was hell, because of the context.

On the other hand, if I would've been put in to situation of doing it at home and having it one on my own terms, I probably wouldn't've done it too well. Sometimes pressure does good as well wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:41 AM