> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar1969 Mixed Guitarts Thread
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2012, 11:00 AM
Instructor
Hey there Michael! Here is your personal thread! I named it so, because your goals are various and if pursued they can turn you into a guitARTIST biggrin.gif

we can improve anything, as long as you are ready to improve - patient and focused, so that progress may occur naturally wink.gif

Hillsong United biggrin.gif are you a part of that group? I have heard about them from my Baptist friends - I listen to a lot of Christian bands smile.gif

Now, let's see:

Speedpicking - I use AP, or more like economy picking across strings. Not looking to be a shredder but would like to add some faster runs here and there. I can probably only do 95-100 bpm on sixteenth notes right now.

Improvising melodically

Learning to change timings - going from 8ths to 16ths to triplets.

Use partial chord shapes - varying chords, like on highest and middle strings

Learning to use intervals in my playing (goes along with partial chord shapes)

Spice up my rythmn - Learn how to be proficient at extensions and licks while playing rythmn - Like Hendrix.

Better articulation fretting and picking - I seem to miss alot of notes, so I always just play it safe.

All of these are mainly phrasing related, but I was curious how much time do you have for practicing? In respect to this, together with you, I will think up a practice routine so that you may progress one step at a time.

all the best

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Feb 26 2012, 07:27 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 26 2012, 02:00 AM) *
Hey there Michael! Here is your personal thread! I named it so, because your goals are various and if pursued they can turn you into a guitARTIST biggrin.gif

we can improve anything, as long as you are ready to improve - patient and focused, so that progress may occur naturally wink.gif

Hillsong United biggrin.gif are you a part of that group? I have heard about them from my Baptist friends - I listen to a lot of Christian bands smile.gif

Now, let's see:

Speedpicking - I use AP, or more like economy picking across strings. Not looking to be a shredder but would like to add some faster runs here and there. I can probably only do 95-100 bpm on sixteenth notes right now.

Improvising melodically

Learning to change timings - going from 8ths to 16ths to triplets.

Use partial chord shapes - varying chords, like on highest and middle strings

Learning to use intervals in my playing (goes along with partial chord shapes)

Spice up my rythmn - Learn how to be proficient at extensions and licks while playing rythmn - Like Hendrix.

Better articulation fretting and picking - I seem to miss alot of notes, so I always just play it safe.

All of these are mainly phrasing related, but I was curious how much time do you have for practicing? In respect to this, together with you, I will think up a practice routine so that you may progress one step at a time.

all the best

Cosmin

Cosmin:

Thanks for setting up.

I am not part of Hillsong United - They are actually a very popular worship band that is
geared for the younger generation, that is internationally recognized. Very riff oriented, dotted 8th note delay, ambient type stuff. Kind of U2 - Edge style which is my favorite guitarist. Some other Christian bands to check out that I think you would like are : Kutless - their older stuff, Switchfoot - newer stuff.

I think at this point I can safely dedicate 20-30 min a day of practice, and sometimes more - Definitely more on weekends. Because my time is limited I really want to focus my practice time to get the most out of it.

Your the boss, so lead the way.

Michael

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Feb 26 2012, 07:29 PM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2012, 12:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Feb 26 2012, 06:27 PM) *
Cosmin:

Thanks for setting up.

I am not part of Hillsong United - They are actually a very popular worship band that is
geared for the younger generation, that is internationally recognized. Very riff oriented, dotted 8th note delay, ambient type stuff. Kind of U2 - Edge style which is my favorite guitarist. Some other Christian bands to check out that I think you would like are : Kutless - their older stuff, Switchfoot - newer stuff.

I think at this point I can safely dedicate 20-30 min a day of practice, and sometimes more - Definitely more on weekends. Because my time is limited I really want to focus my practice time to get the most out of it.

Your the boss, so lead the way.

Michael

Hey Michael,

since your time is limited, I would suggest going for 3 lessons/ month, based on the things you wish to improve - is that a too much?

First of all, my mind is taking me to Ben Higgins' wonderful https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

this one will give you a wonderful and on the spot understanding and exercising of subdivision shifting wink.gif

Once you're done with this one, we can tackle another subject from your list biggrin.gif

what say you mate?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Feb 28 2012, 04:22 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 27 2012, 03:43 AM) *
Hey Michael,

since your time is limited, I would suggest going for 3 lessons/ month, based on the things you wish to improve - is that a too much?

First of all, my mind is taking me to Ben Higgins' wonderful https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

this one will give you a wonderful and on the spot understanding and exercising of subdivision shifting wink.gif

Once you're done with this one, we can tackle another subject from your list biggrin.gif

what say you mate?

Cosmin

Sounds Good - I should be able to manage 3 lessons a month, and then we can determine down the road if I can take on more. Ben's lesson sounds like a good place to start to determine what I already can do regarding AP and speedpicking. I do want to work on being able to switch timings fluidly for soloing - alternating easily between 8th notes, 16th notes, and 8th note triplets.

So should I only work on one lesson at a time or should I possibly do 2 at a time for variety. Also, how do I determine when I am ready to move on to another lesson?

I will get going on the lesson you gave me.

Thanks for all your help.

Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Feb 28 2012, 03:22 AM) *
Sounds Good - I should be able to manage 3 lessons a month, and then we can determine down the road if I can take on more. Ben's lesson sounds like a good place to start to determine what I already can do regarding AP and speedpicking. I do want to work on being able to switch timings fluidly for soloing - alternating easily between 8th notes, 16th notes, and 8th note triplets.

So should I only work on one lesson at a time or should I possibly do 2 at a time for variety. Also, how do I determine when I am ready to move on to another lesson?

I will get going on the lesson you gave me.

Michael

Good morning Michael - well, if you could record yourself while playing it would be a great way for knowing when you are ready to move on to a different lesson, so, tell me, can you video record? The quality does not matter, as long as I can see and hear what you are playing wink.gif

all the best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Feb 28 2012, 11:19 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 27 2012, 11:25 PM) *
Good morning Michael - well, if you could record yourself while playing it would be a great way for knowing when you are ready to move on to a different lesson, so, tell me, can you video record? The quality does not matter, as long as I can see and hear what you are playing wink.gif

all the best

Cosmin

I think I can figure out how record video and audio together - I have been reading the posts and such on this as I was planning to get going on the REC and Collabs at some point. I have the equipment and the interfaces, just need to figure out how to combine a separate audio and video feed so my guitar part and backing will sound better than what my Webcam would produce audiowise (Looks like I can do it in Movie Maker)

So how does the mentoring work on an ongoing basis - Do we just touch base weekly or so, unless I am having a problem with the current lesson and reach out

I am all set at this point and am getting down to practicing that first lesson.

Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 29 2012, 08:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Feb 28 2012, 10:19 PM) *
I think I can figure out how record video and audio together - I have been reading the posts and such on this as I was planning to get going on the REC and Collabs at some point. I have the equipment and the interfaces, just need to figure out how to combine a separate audio and video feed so my guitar part and backing will sound better than what my Webcam would produce audiowise (Looks like I can do it in Movie Maker)

So how does the mentoring work on an ongoing basis - Do we just touch base weekly or so, unless I am having a problem with the current lesson and reach out

I am all set at this point and am getting down to practicing that first lesson.

Michael

Hey Michael - mentoring means that we'll have a good time together improving your playing wink.gif that means everything is a free discussion and I will be here whenever you feel like asking anything biggrin.gif so, feel free to ask away whatever you'd like to know mate! The REC will be a very important point as, it's your measure of progress biggrin.gif I plan on having only straight 10s with you as with all of my team tongue.gif

Let me know how it goes, k?

all the best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Feb 29 2012, 10:15 PM
Got it - On that first lesson I am okay with the 8ths and pretty much the triplets to tempo(120bpm), but not able to do the 16ths at tempo yet, which I knew would be a problem based upon my past work on speedpicking. I for some reason just can't go fast (I tense up) and I know to keep the pick angled to cut through the string, and also to not dig too deep into the string.

I also find I anchor my pinky on the pickguard, and am trying to break that habit as it seems it might be limiting.

I know I just need to spend time on it, using proper form.

mh

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2012, 09:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Feb 29 2012, 09:15 PM) *
Got it - On that first lesson I am okay with the 8ths and pretty much the triplets to tempo(120bpm), but not able to do the 16ths at tempo yet, which I knew would be a problem based upon my past work on speedpicking. I for some reason just can't go fast (I tense up) and I know to keep the pick angled to cut through the string, and also to not dig too deep into the string.

I also find I anchor my pinky on the pickguard, and am trying to break that habit as it seems it might be limiting.

I know I just need to spend time on it, using proper form.

mh

Exactly, since you have spotted your problems, now work your way through the tempo starting very slow - you can control everything at slow speed and gradually work your way up till your newly formed habits. Indeed, not anchoring the pinky gives you way more mobility. What's the highest speed on which you can alternate pick the 16th notes being relaxed and confident?

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Mar 2 2012, 08:07 PM
Cosmin:

I actually have been focussing more time to practicing these last few days as I want to get past this.

I am working toward not anchoring that pinky. On 16ths I am at around 95bpm - so when I do 8th trips I am at around 120bpm. What I need to focus on is not doing any bigger picking strokes than I need to, trying to pretty much keep the pick tip on the string on the up stroke and downstrokes - more of a tremelo picking (which is what I am striving for).

I was spending a good chunk of time on the 8th note triplets, but then I realized that I might as well work more on the 16ths since there is one more stroke per BPM and if I can do the 16ths, then the 8th trips will be easy.

Hey - I also checked out your Band Vodoo on Itunes - Really some great guitar works and great tone.

Thanks for all your help and have a good weekend.

Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 3 2012, 02:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Mar 2 2012, 07:07 PM) *
Cosmin:

I actually have been focussing more time to practicing these last few days as I want to get past this.

I am working toward not anchoring that pinky. On 16ths I am at around 95bpm - so when I do 8th trips I am at around 120bpm. What I need to focus on is not doing any bigger picking strokes than I need to, trying to pretty much keep the pick tip on the string on the up stroke and downstrokes - more of a tremelo picking (which is what I am striving for).

I was spending a good chunk of time on the 8th note triplets, but then I realized that I might as well work more on the 16ths since there is one more stroke per BPM and if I can do the 16ths, then the 8th trips will be easy.

Hey - I also checked out your Band Vodoo on Itunes - Really some great guitar works and great tone.

Thanks for all your help and have a good weekend.

Michael

Hey Michael! Thanks for the status update and for checking out my band biggrin.gif let me know how things are going and send me some recordings of you playing it smile.gif I'm curious to see how things are evolving wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Mar 8 2012, 12:07 AM
Cosmin:

Just checking in with you. I am still working on the lesson, trying to get as much practice time as I can. I think I am getting a bit faster on the 16ths, but the increased BPM on the 16ths seems to really be coming slow for me. One thing I never noticed before, which is probably no news to you, is that it is easier to play faster picking higher up on the neck where the strings have more tension, like around the 12th fret upward. Seems when I go down to the lower fretss - 7th fret and lower, there is more slop in the strings, and makes it a bit harder to get a consistent even sound. Withi the next week some time I will get a video together at whatever BPM I can do and have you take a look at it and maybe you can give me some feedback if I am doing anything wrong, which may be hindering my ability to speed up (I honestly feel I am just a slow learner at this point).

Thanks again for all your help - Don't give up on me.

Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 09:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Mar 7 2012, 11:07 PM) *
Cosmin:

Just checking in with you. I am still working on the lesson, trying to get as much practice time as I can. I think I am getting a bit faster on the 16ths, but the increased BPM on the 16ths seems to really be coming slow for me. One thing I never noticed before, which is probably no news to you, is that it is easier to play faster picking higher up on the neck where the strings have more tension, like around the 12th fret upward. Seems when I go down to the lower fretss - 7th fret and lower, there is more slop in the strings, and makes it a bit harder to get a consistent even sound. Withi the next week some time I will get a video together at whatever BPM I can do and have you take a look at it and maybe you can give me some feedback if I am doing anything wrong, which may be hindering my ability to speed up (I honestly feel I am just a slow learner at this point).

Thanks again for all your help - Don't give up on me.

Michael

Of course I am not giving up on you man! The coordination between hands is better when they are closer from one another wink.gif this is why you are more comfy in the superior part of the neck, closer to the pickups. I am sure it's just a matter of exercising, so let's see the vid my friend! biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Mar 12 2012, 07:20 PM
Cosmin:

Here is a link to my first video, playing the Basic Picking at 96 BPM. I am still stuck on going any faster on those 16ths without it getting really sloppy. Please review and let me know what I need to work on technique wise as I try to get faster at this lesson. I seem to get a lot of extra pick noise and overtones (Not clean) but not sure if its something I am doingin my technique or if it just the amp model I am using through my Boss BR600 digital recorder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JbQjzC4gM0

Thanks,
Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Mar 14 2012, 07:45 PM
Cosmin:

How's it going? I was just checking up to see if you had a chance to review my video I posted a few days ago.

Let me know your thoughts.

Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 15 2012, 08:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Mar 14 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Cosmin:

How's it going? I was just checking up to see if you had a chance to review my video I posted a few days ago.

Let me know your thoughts.

Michael

Hey Michael! Sorry for the delay mate, I was sure I already answered you, but it seems I was wrong laugh.gif anyway, the take is pretty good man! You need to give it a little more time and focus on the following aspects:

- hold the pick a bit more parallel with the strings for a cleaner tone and only keep its tip out for best control
- take care with the timing and try to play as tight as possible - there are spots where you dragged behind the beat
- take care when you start playing triplets - anticipate the transition and you'll get it right - in the video, you can see how your hand struggles a bit till it finds comfort in playing the triplets.

that being said, let's see an improved take and aim for that 10 biggrin.gif how's it going otherwise?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Mar 15 2012, 06:59 PM
Cosmin: No worries on the delay - I thought you might have missed it. I knew I had more work to do and have been pressing on, but wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly at this lower speed.

I was and am still confused on the pick angle as I thought the tip needed to be angled to cut through the string easier (I thought I learned that from one of Kris' early lessons - before GMC and I think it was discussed in one of Tod'ds chats recently that I was in. Can you clarify it a bit more so I understand - Maybe a close up Picture of how yours looks on the downstroke and then the upstroke

I do agree that my transition from 8ths to triplets is a bit rocky and sometimes lags as well - I can feel it takes me a bit to get into the groove again

I will press on o for this lesson (I have sped it up a bit)

If possible, I would like to add another lesson at this point on some other aspect of playing to give me some variety in my practicing as I seem to be finding more time and would like some balance, as I have trouble doing this lesson over and over for any length of time. Can we maybe add something in the way of simple short licks along with playing chords, or riffing, or scales , or simple soloing that incorporate some of these changing of temps (8ths 16ths and triplets) as a secondardy lesson. I understand a bit of theory so when I see a solo or riff I always try to figure out on my own what scale it is and why it fits with the progression so I can use it in other musical situations.

Michael

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 16 2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Mar 15 2012, 05:59 PM) *
Cosmin: No worries on the delay - I thought you might have missed it. I knew I had more work to do and have been pressing on, but wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly at this lower speed.

I was and am still confused on the pick angle as I thought the tip needed to be angled to cut through the string easier (I thought I learned that from one of Kris' early lessons - before GMC and I think it was discussed in one of Tod'ds chats recently that I was in. Can you clarify it a bit more so I understand - Maybe a close up Picture of how yours looks on the downstroke and then the upstroke

I do agree that my transition from 8ths to triplets is a bit rocky and sometimes lags as well - I can feel it takes me a bit to get into the groove again

I will press on o for this lesson (I have sped it up a bit)

If possible, I would like to add another lesson at this point on some other aspect of playing to give me some variety in my practicing as I seem to be finding more time and would like some balance, as I have trouble doing this lesson over and over for any length of time. Can we maybe add something in the way of simple short licks along with playing chords, or riffing, or scales , or simple soloing that incorporate some of these changing of temps (8ths 16ths and triplets) as a secondardy lesson. I understand a bit of theory so when I see a solo or riff I always try to figure out on my own what scale it is and why it fits with the progression so I can use it in other musical situations.

Michael

Hey Michael, sure we can! So, I was thinking about this one as it has melody and nice combos of 16th notes which I'd like you to get used to before tackling one which switches between 16ths and triplets back and forth: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/16th_notes_phrasing/

I shall take a pic of my picking angles and show you what my approach is wink.gif

what do you think of the lesson above?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Mar 16 2012, 09:04 PM
Sounds Good. I like that lesson and will get right on it. I was also playing around with this lesson last night:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...dic-solo-in-gm/

But it doesn't have any 16ths so I will concentrate on the one you gave me

On my picking speed, I think a bit of my problem is that I tend to favor thinner picks for chords and such which don't work well for picking (I typically use .60 to .88 mm Nylons). I tried a thicker V-pick last night and immediately had more control, but then hated it for strumming. I need to find something in between.

mh

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 17 2012, 10:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Mar 16 2012, 08:04 PM) *
Sounds Good. I like that lesson and will get right on it. I was also playing around with this lesson last night:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...dic-solo-in-gm/

But it doesn't have any 16ths so I will concentrate on the one you gave me

On my picking speed, I think a bit of my problem is that I tend to favor thinner picks for chords and such which don't work well for picking (I typically use .60 to .88 mm Nylons). I tried a thicker V-pick last night and immediately had more control, but then hated it for strumming. I need to find something in between.

mh

Morning mate!

the thing is, thicker pics are always good for control wink.gif something in between would be a 1.00 pick which is good for tone control and strumming once you get used to it. Usually when strumming, I loosen up my hand so that it'll be very fluid smile.gif

I've used 3mm picks for strumming and it's just a dynamics change, if you focus a bit. Now I think both lessons are useful, so feel free to tackle them both in any order you would like.

The melodic solo lesson is good for tone control, so there you go biggrin.gif two things you can work on in parallel wink.gif

let me know if I can help further with these

Cosmin

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:06 AM