Full Range Guitar Cab/speakers?
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2015, 03:50 PM
GMC:er
I put this old P.A. to good use using it as a full range speaker system for guitar with a gnx3 multi fx processor. I gotta say it was pretty darn amazing. The 15 inch driver had bass for days and the horn had great sparkle, especially on clean tones. When I switched back to guitar cabs it almost sounded like there was a blanket covering the cab preventing treble and it sounded like the bass had been sucked out.

I added a second cabinet to help with bass and a BBE processor to add treble back in and now it's closer to sounding like the P.A. but it did take two guitar cabinets of different design and a bbe processor just to sound like two old P.A. cabs did.

Before
Attached Image
AFTER

Attached Image
ANYONE ELSE TRY FULL RANGE SPEAKERS WITH A PROCESSOR?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamB
Mar 18 2015, 03:58 PM
My main rig is a Pod HD Pro rack unit and two of the smaller stagesource speakers to make a sort of half stack setup. I love it. But now I'm curious about what I can do if I run it in conjunction with a conventional tube amp, so I've picked up a Laney IRT60 half stack and am going to mess around with wet/dry/wet and other such things to see what can be done.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 18 2015, 09:44 PM
Well cool wink.gif Record some stuff when you get a chance and let us hear how it turns out! The stage source speakers are a great way to go. They are powered so you don't need to lug a power amp, just plugin and go. You can take just one and have a great mono live rig. Folks are getting used to see rigs like that on stage finally. At first, folks looked at ya a bit sideways when you brough something other than a 2x12 or 4x12 to even a jam session. After using full range speakers, it really does show you how limited the frequency range of a guitar cab can be, which is why so many vendors are making full range cabs that look like standard guitar cabs smile.gif

here is one from JETCITY

Attached Image

QUOTE (AdamB @ Mar 18 2015, 10:58 AM) *
My main rig is a Pod HD Pro rack unit and two of the smaller stagesource speakers to make a sort of half stack setup. I love it. But now I'm curious about what I can do if I run it in conjunction with a conventional tube amp, so I've picked up a Laney IRT60 half stack and am going to mess around with wet/dry/wet and other such things to see what can be done.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 18 2015, 10:44 PM
Nice, my luthier (who also owns a small guitar shop) uses 2 PA speakers with a line6 processor/soundcard.

Its for general use but got to say isn't very good. The sound is big and nice with distortion or listening music but on DI/clean signal every guitar in the shop sounds the same cause of lack of high freq.s smile.gif he also mixed his albums with those and the symbols are too loud when I listen with headphones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 18 2015, 11:26 PM

Left is my old, right is my current.

Then there is someone like me. I wish I didn't get rid of my PA speaker tho it was just a cheap thing. Nothing feels like a good tube amp on a cabinet to wail in a room at 11. At the same time nothing has that nice already set in the mix sound of a PA speaker.

Two totally different tones and feels. Each have their own pros and cons. I may end up with both in the end tho. laugh.gif Kinda digging the idea of (2) Mesa 1x12s to give a full stack look on a lunchbox. Then maybe a 12" PA off to the side as it would take up about the same room as a horizontal 2x12 would.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 18 2015, 11:56 PM
Just remembered; in the 90's when I was a beginner my teacher (it was a guitar shop but more of a club...) sat on a PA speaker for a while biggrin.gif

I remember he sometimes played duke nukem with volume cranked full and whenever he launched a missile I could see him shake biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 18 2015, 11:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 19 2015, 08:04 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm using a Mackie SRM450 on stage

These are the ones to go for with amp modellers http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 19 2015, 08:58 PM
These are perfect smile.gif And I think they are honestly the wave of the future. More and more I think we will start seeing major vendors putting full range speakers in their lineup. Folks like MARSHALL and LANEY won't stand on the sidelines for long IMHO. smile.gif

Here is a vid from the atomic amps site. Using a processor or a live amp in a room, either way, you ultimately have to get your tone through your speakers/monitors where you are doing your recording and mixing. So as a point of fact, we are ALL Using full range speaker systems as the last point in our chain. smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 19 2015, 03:04 AM) *
I'm using a Mackie SRM450 on stage

These are the ones to go for with amp modellers http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 19 2015, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
Mith
Mar 23 2015, 01:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
All I do is full range and I play in true stereo, I run my rig into 2 EV 112 PA speakers and it is amazing

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2015, 02:32 AM
Those are a fine choice smile.gif Have you ever tried the 115? The two peavey speakers I was running had dual horns and a 15 inch driver and WOW. It lets you hear your 7th and 8th string like you would not believe. The only guitar cab I have had heard come close is the Genz Benz Gflex series which have huge ports and speakers that can take bass down to 60Hz. Dealing with ERG gear brings the guitar almost in to the bass guys space.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mith @ Mar 23 2015, 08:11 AM) *
All I do is full range and I play in true stereo, I run my rig into 2 EV 112 PA speakers and it is amazing

+Quote Post
Mith
Mar 24 2015, 03:54 AM
The 15 in the EV's tend to get a little woffy, I tend to be tuned to drop C and its pretty clear and defined

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2015, 05:53 PM
Makes sense smile.gif The 12s are quite punchy! having the power amp built in is a great bonus. Also, you can carry just one and have a very portable rig, or tote both and have stereo.

QUOTE (Mith @ Mar 23 2015, 10:54 PM) *
The 15 in the EV's tend to get a little woffy, I tend to be tuned to drop C and its pretty clear and defined

+Quote Post
Mith
Mar 25 2015, 01:39 PM
Yeah I have passive and a 800w matrix power amp. Also means if for some reason I can plug into a cab if I need too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 25 2015, 06:53 PM
Fine choice on the amp!! That unit is simply the best unit available imho on price/performance per pound. The MATRIX folks started out making great PA amps and then started making killer full range guitar amps. That amp with an axe fx is the "rig of moment" for a good reason.

QUOTE (Mith @ Mar 25 2015, 08:39 AM) *
Yeah I have passive and a 800w matrix power amp. Also means if for some reason I can plug into a cab if I need too.

+Quote Post
Mith
Mar 26 2015, 10:14 AM
Yeah I've got my POD HD Pro I ise it with. Maybe when the funds agree with me I'll upgrade to a AXEFX just at the moment the small improvement in tone doesn't seem justifiable. But the matrix is a great buy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 26 2015, 03:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_o...mpact/index.jsp

Any of you guys heard or played this?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 27 2015, 12:52 AM
These are great for one man band type deals, and for singer songwriter/accoustic folks and such. Just one of these is a complete P.A. which is handy smile.gif They do great on vocals and and accoustic instruments. However, they are not quite as great on high gain guitar stuff IMHO. But as a playback system, and or portable P.A. i'd say perfect smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Mar 26 2015, 10:07 AM) *

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 27 2015, 01:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 26 2015, 07:52 PM) *
These are great for one man band type deals, and for singer songwriter/accoustic folks and such. Just one of these is a complete P.A. which is handy smile.gif They do great on vocals and and accoustic instruments. However, they are not quite as great on high gain guitar stuff IMHO. But as a playback system, and or portable P.A. i'd say perfect smile.gif

Yeah something told me there is a reason for a guitar loudspeaker. Those are real sexy though, if I was a singer/songwriter Id probably love this.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:53 AM