Scale Patterns
edguy
Jun 10 2009, 08:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Andrew,

i have a question about different scale patterns. I read your Major Scale lesson (with the G Major example) and i thought i want to get the scale on a diagramm from here: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
Now i discovered that they're more than one possibility how to play the notes of this scale. For example I can play it with the 3 note per String patterns. In your theory lesson you used the Vertical Pattern (it's how the site calls it).

What i want to know is what are the advantages of the 3 note per string patterns vs. the vertical. And in which musical situation it makes more sense to use the one or the other? Or is it just another way for the fingers to play the scale?

Another quick question is why are so many patterns listed on this site. Am I understand it right that you say in your lesson there are 7 boxes but because of some of them are to close to another we miss these out?

Thanks for your help

Edguy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
edguy
Jun 28 2009, 01:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Andrew are you still alive? Hope it's all fine with you

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2009, 10:20 PM
Instructor
There are actually lots of possibilities for making all kinds of combinations, but there are two main methods that are in common use when starting to learn the patterns, and these two methods are CAGED and 3 note-per-string methods.

CAGED is what you refer to "vertical" patterns and there are 5 of them.
Second one is 3nps method and it has 7 patterns.

Difference here is that 3nps patterns have 3 notes per string (no kidding!? biggrin.gif ). This is important because you can make them sound good using triplet notes, so they are useful for runs and various other applications as well. In 3nps method you start from every note of the scale. So 7 notes in the scale, 7 patterns you can make.

CAGED system has 5 patterns and it is more traditional, jazz oriented method of learning the notes of the diatonic scale, but very important as well. Since it has only 5 patterns it is easier to learn the whole pattern over the neck effectively and it is somewhat good to go through it cause you can shift these positions fast and play them without stretching. This allows comfort and speed. The problem is some strings have 3 and some 2 notes, so if you alternate pick you must rehearse several different string crossing combinations (instead of only 2 that you have with AP on the 3nps patterns).

having this said, I actually made recently two good lessons that cover these two methos. My suggestion is: Learn the CAGED patterns first and then learn the 3NPS patterns as well. Both are equally important and useful, regardless they are actually one big pattern that is the same.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/master...n_caged_method/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/master...string_method_/

let me know if I can help further with this matter or any other. Cheers

Ivan

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:02 AM