Hit A Bad Note Live? Act Like You Meant It., What other option do you have?
derper
Jun 9 2012, 06:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
Though I intend to start working out more defined, and arranged solos in the future....I come from a background of playing more "in the moment". Thanks to GMC, I'm starting to bridge the 2 styles. But it may be years before I play an entire set with fully arranged solos, so in the meanwhile, there will be "mistakes.

My solo starts around 3:15 and is going alright. Nothing too special, just my personal blend of too much blues/rock/funk influence, played at a higher tempo with more gain to achieve a "metal-like" effect. wink.gif At about 3:40 hang out on a bend just a bit too long and hit a "bad note". Not enough to ruin everything, but noticeable.

I've been playing gigs for years now, and have learned (the hard way...not easy, and not a quick lesson) to just push on. I don't think I even flinch. My mind just learned to embrace that note and work off of it, somehow. If I allow my brain to process the note as a negative action, things tend to go worse. Also, the crowd will notice you "wince" at your own note, and may notice you stiffen afterwards. Also, your playing can start to be less confident. Such as my weaksauce bend to end this solo run.

I'm not getting down on myself, but it helps to learn from the good and bad. I don't expect "perfection" live if I'm "improving" a solo. But I still go back and analyze the good and bad. In this case, I even found some "good" in the "bad"!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:38 PM