Rush: Alex Lifeson, No Cabs On Stage.
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2012, 08:15 AM
GMC:er
Watched this video about RUSH and their stage setup. All their Amps/Heads run in to rack mount speaker simulators and there are NO CABS/SPEAKERS active on stage! So what are those MASSIVE amps behind them? PROPS! ARRGGHHH!!

I know they are not young men anymore, but prop amps I did not expect. At least they look spiff. They use in ear monitors and evidently have very low stage volume.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 14 2012, 08:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ben Higgins
Jun 14 2012, 10:03 AM
Instructor
Cool video, Todd ! I think it makes sense to clean up as much of the on stage sound as possible, so if they can get the same massive sound out of the front of house and reduce noise on stage I think it's a great idea. Even Metallica don't have a working amp up on stage according to my engineer mate. There's just 1 amp off stage, mic'd. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2012, 09:45 AM
GMC:er
I agree 100% Ben. Having silly loud stage volume is something that you almost have to work through to realize it isn't a good thing and can cause many more problems than it solves. Being deafened on stage is almost fun at first. At first.

I didn't expect it from Rush or Metallica but I probably should have given how much road time they have put in. The in ear monitoring systems are really amazing these days and everyone gets their own mix. So more and more, I think the amp racks on stage will just be for looks for big shows.

Todd
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 14 2012, 05:03 AM) *
Cool video, Todd ! I think it makes sense to clean up as much of the on stage sound as possible, so if they can get the same massive sound out of the front of house and reduce noise on stage I think it's a great idea. Even Metallica don't have a working amp up on stage according to my engineer mate. There's just 1 amp off stage, mic'd. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 16 2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 16 2012, 09:45 AM) *
The in ear monitoring systems are really amazing these days and everyone gets their own mix. So more and more, I think the amp racks on stage will just be for looks for big shows.

Todd

Yeah, I remember an interview with Bruce Dickinson saying how in-ear monitors had really changed things for him and improved everything. Rob Halford said the same. It was mainly down to them being able to hear themselves better so they didn't have to blow their voices out whilst trying to be heard through their monitors. As we all know, Bruce and probably most of the rest of them had problems throughout the 80's with overdoing it with their voice. You'll notice after the Powerslave album that Bruce's voice had changed a lot, especially live. It was just too much to go through.

(Although, having said that, I think the vocals on Seventh Son are the finest in his career)

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jun 16 2012, 10:07 AM) *
I have to agree. I like Opeth's "new" approach best. They have their amps on stage behind these sweet stage props that are a bit hard for me to describe. if you look behind The Drummer(Michael Axenrot) and the Keyboardist(Joakim Svalberg) you will notice the two devils from the album cover. Their halfstacks and racks are located directly behind these.

Basically, the prop is some type of fibrous material that is on a metal frame. They have lights positioned directly in front as well because depending on the colour of the light, the prop displays a different image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n8foto/6198019771/lightbox/

Yeah that does look good smile.gif

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:19 PM