2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tips For Playing Live
JOhn
Sep 11 2007, 06:38 PM
GMC:er
im playing in front of my whole school next week but im not very nervous yet but iv heard you can play alot worse when playing live. This is my first time so i have no idea what to expect but i just can't wait to play infront of my school and i don't want every one to think i suck at guitar. Can any one tell me what it will be like and how i can cope?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JOhn: Sep 11 2007, 06:39 PM

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 11 2007, 06:54 PM
Get to da Chopper!
just remember that they'll be enjoying it as much as you are!

what are ya playing?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 11 2007, 07:07 PM
I'm playing free bird with a friend of mine. I decided to start with something easy so i don't look to bad laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 11 2007, 07:43 PM
Instructor
You'll be fine John,don't worry smile.gif
Just try to be relaxed as usual and still play for yourself,not only for the audience.
Main thing is that YOU have a great time with it and if you enjoy,
the audience will as well. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 11 2007, 08:10 PM
another thing john, dont even pay attention to the crowd, go in a zone where its just you and your buddie playing and no one else that way it will gurantee you do your best smile.gif

- John

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Sep 11 2007, 08:10 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 11 2007, 09:00 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Its usual to be a little nervous, and that sometimes gives you a bit of an edge. The trick is not to be so nervous that you can't play - the best way around that is thorough preparation, and, you guessed it, practice!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 11 2007, 11:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Seems like you figured one important thing out already, choose a song you're comfortable with to start with.

And when you're on stage playing you should just know that 99-100% of the audience can't play better than you so what you're doing is something they can't... unless your shool is a school for musicians. laugh.gif

Imagine the audience naked... don't get it backwards and imagine yoursrelf naked, that won't help one bit. tongue.gif

Don't think so much about it, chase the thoughts away, just go out there and rock.

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 11 2007, 11:46 PM
You'll get really nervous when that day comes, but thats completely normal. Being nervous makes it all much better, gives you a rush. But dont worry, as soon as you enter the stage and start playing you wont be nervous anymore. Its just before the show.

Try to not look at your feet trough the whole concert, becuase thats what most people do in the start. I used to stare at the floor, it looked so stupid. Dont be afraid to let go.

Good luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 12 2007, 07:44 AM
Make sure you've got muting down, don't want to have a bunch of noises going off when you only want one.

Good luck, hope the performance makes you really popular!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Sep 12 2007, 11:02 AM
Main thing is havin fun, the more fun your having, the more the better you'll play and the crowd will like you.

And when playing don't think in your head like "o man this really hard run is comin up. O man o man o man what am i gonna do?" Other musicians i have played think this way and they end up being nervous and not really enjoying it.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 12 2007, 03:29 PM
thanks guys i feel even better about playing now smile.gif . But one problem i can see now is people throwing stuff at me laugh.gif one of my best friends Just came up to me and said "i hope we all stand up so i can throw stuff at you" laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
strat_daniel
Sep 16 2007, 03:34 AM
Don't worry about it, man. The first time i played live, I was nervous as hell right up to it, but as soon as I started my mind went blank. I didn't think about anything, my hands just did what they were supposed to, it was complete autopilot. If you're really comfortable with the song, the same will probably happen to you, too. Just watch your tempo! I always want to speed up. And about your friend, just throw it right back wink.gif And don't forget to tell us how it goes! Good luck, you'll do fine.

This post has been edited by strat_daniel: Sep 16 2007, 03:36 AM

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 16 2007, 01:17 PM
yeh i will a 3 days till i perform.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aerohit
Sep 16 2007, 03:11 PM
And never forget that despite all the confidence that you have gained, if you still mess somewhere (if only a little bit) , the audience won't even notice.

--------------------
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

-Vincent Van Gogh

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Sep 16 2007, 04:13 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hmm.. i can tell, that some members of my band have some kind of "Stare to ground" instinct.. and it works pretty bad..
Dont be afraid that you will look funny.. sometimes embrassing yourself can save whole situation:-P
For example when we had our first gig, it was kind of metal night in a pub.. people were expecting something hard and heavy.. and we played Brian Adams and Def leppard.. so you guess, how much fun they were having - none.
So I got stupid idea, to play air guitar (I was non playing singer that time)... People started to laugh really hard, I had to look like an... idiot:-D But the atmosphere has changed radically and people really started to get up from chairs and started to dance:-D
What I wanted to say is:
If you play rock, act like rocker
If you play metal, be a metal head
If you want to play boring classical music (respect.. its just different kind of fun;) ) or anything... act like an artist - be serious etc. But dotn expect people, to dance or anything.

Its more about how you look, your stance and your moves - people will pardon your mistakes.. but wont go over "crippled-stanced-megaserious artist"

PS: You are making music and music = fun. Enjoy it;)
Good luck, have fun:)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Sep 16 2007, 04:14 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Sep 19 2007, 01:29 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm also performing within 3 days, HELP unsure.gif

I'm nog sure what to play caus i'm only playing for a couple of weeks lol tongue.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 19 2007, 06:07 PM
I did the performance today and it was pretty good i wasn't really that nervous which was strange. I made alot of mistakes laugh.gif but i don't think anyone really noticed. But i think alot of people didn't like it because after school one of my friends said "why would you listen to music with out lyrics" then my other friend said "yeh its kinda boring" i thought every one loved guitar solos huh.gif. but even with that said alot of the teachers liked it and my other guitar buddies though it was awesome smile.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 19 2007, 06:11 PM
Instructor
That's great John!! smile.gif

Main thing is that you had nice time on stage! smile.gif

This post has been edited by muris: Sep 19 2007, 06:11 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 19 2007, 06:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 19 2007, 07:07 PM) *
But i think alot of people didn't like it because after school one of my friends beat me up real good

blink.gif
That was what I expected to read laugh.gif (fake quote btw)

Anyway, well done! What's good is that now you've been on stage. The next time will be easy.

+Quote Post
Francis Viviers
Sep 19 2007, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 11 2007, 07:38 PM) *
im playing in front of my whole school next week but im not very nervous yet but iv heard you can play alot worse when playing live. This is my first time so i have no idea what to expect but i just can't wait to play infront of my school and i don't want every one to think i suck at guitar. Can any one tell me what it will be like and how i can cope?

Something that causes a bit of a issue is standing and playing ( "The guitar hanging and not directly close to you as normal" ). Practice all you song standing or jumping or which ever way you gonna play live. Im am worse playing live cos im not used to standing and playing the songs.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:21 PM