Mixing Tips?
Socky42
Jul 1 2012, 02:20 PM
GMC:er

While all my end results sound decent, most of my mixes only seem to work with some heavy compression and a limiter on the master track. I just feel like im almost 'cheating'.

Also, I find it very hard for any bass to come through in mixes without making them stupidly loud.

Any advice?

laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 1 2012, 05:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
[quote name='Socky42' date='Jul 1 2012, 02:20 PM' post='593051']

While all my end results sound decent, most of my mixes only seem to work with some heavy compression and a limiter on the master track. I just feel like im almost 'cheating'.

[/unquote]

You shouldn't normally put a limiter on the main when mixing at all. Leave the limiting for the mastering engineer.

You should also generally only put a comp on the 2 bus if you mix into it and even then the compressor needs to be suitable for 2 bus (many aren't). Many engineers would go further and say that you just shouln't put limiters and compressors on the 2 bus, ever. In all seriousness it is often best to leave things off the main bus - particularly compressors and limiters - when mixing unless you have a considerable amount of experience.

[quote]

Also, I find it very hard for any bass to come through in mixes without making them stupidly loud.

Any advice?

laugh.gif
[/unquote]

The issue may well be more to do with your monitors. Most 2 way ported monitors that are commonly used for recording/mixing just do not reproduce bass particularly well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 1 2012, 08:39 PM
Instructor
Make sure you're not boosting the kick drum and bass at the same frequency otherwise they're fighting for space and creating a boomy mess.

To be honest, the best thing you could do (and what I do) is to make specific searches and find the info from recording/mixing/gear forums.. I've found a lot of info that way. Putting it into practise is a different matter though wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2012, 02:58 AM
Nice! Some really fine playing here and a great sounding mix! And it looks like a nice DSLR for video? Seriously fine job man, it all comes together really well.

Our resident Mix Master, as always has given some great tips. Can't wait to hear your next mix!

Todd

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 1 2012, 09:20 AM) *

Any advice?

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 3 2012, 03:04 AM

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 3 2012, 03:22 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 3 2012, 02:58 AM) *
Nice! Some really fine playing here and a great sounding mix! And it looks like a nice DSLR for video? Seriously fine job man, it all comes together really well.

Our resident Mix Master, as always has given some great tips. Can't wait to hear your next mix!

Todd

Yeah, I use a Canon T2i/550D.

I really overdo it with the blurry background thing but it's just so cool. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 3 2012, 04:06 AM
Learning Roadie
Really great job, there! I have a Canon T3i and I need a faster computer to handle my videos. It takes HOURS to render.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:12 AM