Question About "outside Notes"
TheKeplerConject...
Jun 30 2009, 05:09 AM
GMC:er
Hi Muris,

I'm finding that the majority of the solos I really like don't stay strict to a particular scale/mode. So this is something I've been trying to get my head around recently. I was wondering if you could help. Under what circumstances is it okay to deviate from the "proper" scale or key, and how do you select which "outside notes" are most acceptable.

I've read that you can look at the current chord and select a mode that will fit that chord if build from it's root. For example, you could use the lydian mode over a Maj7 chord based on that principle, as the lydian mode contains 1,3,5,7. Is this a valid approach? I sort of think that in such a short period of time, the listener would remember which notes don't fit. I feel like it should be more complex.

Also, how would one select chords that contain notes that are not in key. This occurs in your Pull-offs Lesson, where the key is E minor, the scale played is E harmonic minor (in which the 7th degree differs) and it contains an E Major chord. I can't make sense of how this works and ends up sounding good.

Any wisdom you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! (And thanks for all the great lessons. I just got E Minor Melodic Solo down pretty good. Hope to post a vid at some point for REC.)

PS. I think the scale diagram in that lesson may be incorrect.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:45 PM