6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Quitting My Job And Dedicating 8 Hours A Day For Practicing Guitar
maharzan
Apr 13 2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great to see updates rhoads. Its always great when you are into music than hardcore technique stuff that I am into right now. smile.gif Make some music. I am sure you can find some people over the internet who have similar interests and you can relocate in future. There are other ways to earn making music too, even if you just have to stay at home. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 13 2012, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Welcome back Rhoads. It sounds like you had a lot of really valuable experience and learned things about music/band chemistry and yourself that couldn't be learned any other way.

Instead of seeing the band break up as a negative, you can look back at what you did and realised that you did successfully achieve what you set out to do which was dedicate your time to guitar, play in a band with people who were at a higher level than you and get experience. You were a success.

The situation now isn't a setback, it's an open door and the keys to the next chapter smile.gif I think you've already recognised as well that to realise your ambitions you're going to have to find the means to look beyond Sibiu and you will do what you need to make that happen.

Come along and look at our Arnold thread ! This is just perfect right now biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry579257

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 13 2012, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
Great to hear that you kept your promise and practiced a lot! I find that most (if not all) guitarists have to go through a phase of cleaning up their technique before they can really begin to shine. Having practiced technique, you have solid ground to continue working off.

Look at players such as Richie Kotzen, in his younger years, he simply showcased his technique, but no matter how perfectly he played, it wasn't all quite there. These days, Richie isn't into the shred so much, but his writing and soulful playing has improved so much that he's great to listen to (my opinion, of course).

If you feel that you've reached a technical level that suits what you'd like to play, then that's great! Start writing music more and jamming, improvising, developing your musical side rather than technical. A guitarist requires some technique, as well as a musical side - you've done well smile.gif Learning guitar is a lifelong task, though. The greats that we all know and love say this frequently, they keep on learning new things to help their music - enjoy the journey.

If you can't find any bands locally, try some virtual bands, or collabs with people over YouTube. Such is the technology these days that these things are possible - make use of the technology. If you can't find a band, join in with all the collabs on GMC that you can, get a mentor to help you feel the music more.

This post has been edited by dark dude: Apr 13 2012, 04:22 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 13 2012, 06:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 13 2012, 04:07 AM) *
Come along and look at our Arnold thread ! This is just perfect right now biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry579257

You stole my words! mad.gif mad.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 13 2012, 07:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Rhoads ~ as you've experienced, playing live is nothing short of completely different in almost every way, than sitting in a chair and practicing for REC takes. Congratulations!

Some observations I'm sure you've come away with will include the fact that learning a song does not happen over night. In fact, even after memorizing the parts, if you find yourself fast-forwarding in your mind to the next part because you want to make sure that you don't miss it, means you haven't really learned the song, even though you can play the parts.

There comes a point in the process of learning a song where the music you're playing causes the words you need to sing or the part you need to play, to make itself apparent at that moment, and it will come out because it's supposed to. It's a little odd, but true. When you don't have to fast forward in your mind to the next verse before singing/playing it, then you've arrived at "knowing" that song.

There's a saying I've heard ~ "you have to own the music you're playing", which means, it needs to come from you, and if you have to think about what needs to come out before singing/playing it, then it's not owned by you ~ you're borrowing it.

In a live setting, you're dealing with a lot of variables, nerves being chief among them. It is difficult to enjoy the music you're playing when you're nervous or apprehensive. If you can't enjoy the music you're playing/singing, then you won't be able to focus on the music, which is what you have to do on stage. It's like forgetting the audience is there, and all that exists on stage is you listening to your music and playing along with it. If you can get to the point where your focus is entirely on the music, then the songs that you "know" (see above) will come out naturally and with personality. You'll enjoy the music, and the audience will respond in much the same way people respond when you smile at them ~ they'll smile back.

The only way you can get comfortable on stage, is "knowing" the songs and getting used to the stage. You need at least 100 live gigs under your belt (everyone's different, but I think that's a realistic numberr) for you to really get the experience and confidence going. Every show, open mic, etc., you should remind yourself to listen to and focus on, the music. If that means closing your eyes for the first few shows, then do it ~ let the music drive you, and then you'll be able to express yourself, instead of just hitting the right notes at the right time.

Welcome back ~ don't give up. You've only just started!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 14 2012, 09:24 AM
Instructor
Wow I read your post from the beginning and I must give you a lot of respect! You are a very brave person!
Turning music into a full time job is one of the hardest things to do! I have been trying to do so for many years and still have a lot of things to work on smile.gif
I have a few suggestions that might help you out!
first of all you have to decide what type of musician you want to be?
There is a few categories and of course you will have to combine them all in order to get somewhere, but you have to have a main goal in front of you!
My first advice will be go to school and get an education! It will help you move out from your town, you will learn music and will become a better player and if things will get tough you can always start teaching!
I have been through all this stuff for many years I moved from my town and had to start over in a new country!
Let me know if you need help or advice I will be more than happy to help you out!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 14 2012, 11:22 AM
You should take it as is - at least you have kept your job RRhoads ,I'm sure in the future you'll gain more experience by learning new songs or your meet some gang that you'll work with wink.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Apr 14 2012, 11:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Mate welcome back, I remember when you first posted this thread.

The main theme i got from your thread was, That you have learnt and expieranced alot off things that you wouldn't have if you didn't take a chance or risk. Your a better player for it and a wiser person it.

All the best

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 14 2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Hey Alex! The romanian Alex I mean biggrin.gif but hello to Alex Feather as well tongue.gif

I am glad you are active in here again man! Unfortunately, the music school in romania is a dead end and the people coming out of there are mostly brainwashed unfortunately.

Practicing and making music on your own, or better yet, with people who inspire you is what you should aim for and GMC will most likely be a place where you can hone these skills up to a certain point. Playing live and with other people is a different experience which you have most definitely improved during all this time.

I say, keep up the good work man! It's not easy to make it in this world and a lot of the big guys in the field in Romania are not faring so well financially so, for some time it may be a better idea to work hard and prepare yourself while also gaining money from another source smile.gif

You are a programmer out of what I know - how about some freelancing? Take projects on which you can work from home, make money out of that and practice on the guitar till you're able to rip it apart! biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 14 2012, 02:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank you guys,

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 13 2012, 11:07 AM) *
Instead of seeing the band break up as a negative, you can look back at what you did and realised that you did successfully achieve what you set out to do which was dedicate your time to guitar, play in a band with people who were at a higher level than you and get experience. You were a success.

Yeah, I am looking at it the same way, otherwise.. smile.gif

QUOTE (dark dude @ Apr 13 2012, 03:20 PM) *
If you feel that you've reached a technical level that suits what you'd like to play, then that's great! Start writing music more and jamming, improvising, developing your musical side rather than technical. A guitarist requires some technique, as well as a musical side - you've done well smile.gif Learning guitar is a lifelong task, though. The greats that we all know and love say this frequently, they keep on learning new things to help their music - enjoy the journey.

I keep telling me the same thing smile.gif

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 13 2012, 06:16 PM) *
Some observations I'm sure you've come away with will include the fact that learning a song does not happen over night. In fact, even after memorizing the parts, if you find yourself fast-forwarding in your mind to the next part because you want to make sure that you don't miss it, means you haven't really learned the song, even though you can play the parts.

There comes a point in the process of learning a song where the music you're playing causes the words you need to sing or the part you need to play, to make itself apparent at that moment, and it will come out because it's supposed to. It's a little odd, but true. When you don't have to fast forward in your mind to the next verse before singing/playing it, then you've arrived at "knowing" that song.

There's a saying I've heard ~ "you have to own the music you're playing", which means, it needs to come from you, and if you have to think about what needs to come out before singing/playing it, then it's not owned by you ~ you're borrowing it.

After all this experience I know exactly what you mean. And this is what I am struggling with.

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Apr 14 2012, 08:24 AM) *
Wow I read your post from the beginning and I must give you a lot of respect! You are a very brave person!
Turning music into a full time job is one of the hardest things to do! I have been trying to do so for many years and still have a lot of things to work on smile.gif
I have a few suggestions that might help you out!
first of all you have to decide what type of musician you want to be?
There is a few categories and of course you will have to combine them all in order to get somewhere, but you have to have a main goal in front of you!
My first advice will be go to school and get an education! It will help you move out from your town, you will learn music and will become a better player and if things will get tough you can always start teaching!
I have been through all this stuff for many years I moved from my town and had to start over in a new country!
Let me know if you need help or advice I will be more than happy to help you out!

Thank you Alex. As Cosmin said, music schools in Romania wouldn't help me in any way. I cannot afford a foreign one and to be honest I am not sure if I would like to. Maybe if I was 19-20 years old, but now.. maybe its just a bit to late for such and endeavor.
Anyway, I am proud to say that I already have to students biggrin.gif. They are beginners and I teach them chords and you know, the beginner stuff.

QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Apr 14 2012, 10:38 AM) *
Hey Mate welcome back, I remember when you first posted this thread.

The main theme i got from your thread was, That you have learnt and expieranced alot off things that you wouldn't have if you didn't take a chance or risk. Your a better player for it and a wiser person it.

All the best

Yes, I also re-read the whole thread and it was very interesting to see some differences in my way of thinking between now and a year ago smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 14 2012, 10:52 AM) *
Hey Alex! The romanian Alex I mean biggrin.gif but hello to Alex Feather as well tongue.gif

I am glad you are active in here again man! Unfortunately, the music school in romania is a dead end and the people coming out of there are mostly brainwashed unfortunately.

Practicing and making music on your own, or better yet, with people who inspire you is what you should aim for and GMC will most likely be a place where you can hone these skills up to a certain point. Playing live and with other people is a different experience which you have most definitely improved during all this time.

I say, keep up the good work man! It's not easy to make it in this world and a lot of the big guys in the field in Romania are not faring so well financially so, for some time it may be a better idea to work hard and prepare yourself while also gaining money from another source smile.gif

You are a programmer out of what I know - how about some freelancing? Take projects on which you can work from home, make money out of that and practice on the guitar till you're able to rip it apart! biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Thanks man, that is exactly what I am going to do. I worked from home before and it works. Luckily I can take advantage of this. I started to dig up all the contacts that I have made during the years I worked and see what projects are available. smile.gif And in the free time, write something on my own and collaborate online. Also I feel like doing a couple of RECs smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 11:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi all,

This was my first week of working again smile.gif Somebody up there must really love me because I got some consistent projects from one of the contacts I had before. Surprisingly, I haven't forgot much and it looks like I will be able to do my job without problems. I can work from home, but I think I will go to an office at some friends of mine because I don't think I can do this anymore. I have to leave home when I get up in the morning smile.gif

I will wait a month or so to see that it goes well and then I want to leave Sibiu. Hopefully in maximum three month I'll be out of this place smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2012, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Heading my way, man? smile.gif If you want, I can try to hook you up on things if I hear about some band needing a guitarist.

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 11:53 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 29 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Heading my way, man? smile.gif If you want, I can try to hook you up on things if I hear about some band needing a guitarist.

Yep smile.gif. I was also considering Cluj, but I've pretty much made up my mind for Bucharest. Hopefully I'll be living there until the RHCP concert.

And YES PLEASE. You would have been the first one to ask for help anyway smile.gif

This post has been edited by rhoads: Apr 29 2012, 11:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2012, 05:15 PM
Instructor
Alright mate biggrin.gif well, if I hear about something I will let you know wink.gif if you are into coverbands, let me know so I can ask around and see what spots are available, k?

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 29 2012, 07:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 29 2012, 04:15 PM) *
Alright mate biggrin.gif well, if I hear about something I will let you know wink.gif if you are into coverbands, let me know so I can ask around and see what spots are available, k?

Am not only into coverbands, but I don't mind earning some money from that so sure, whatever is available. As I said, hopefully in three months I will be there if nothing major comes up and it's good to know something in advance.

Thanks a lot Cosmin ! As I said, you would have been the first to ask for help. Can't wait to grab a beer together smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2012, 08:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rhoads @ Apr 29 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Am not only into coverbands, but I don't mind earning some money from that so sure, whatever is available. As I said, hopefully in three months I will be there if nothing major comes up and it's good to know something in advance.

Thanks a lot Cosmin ! As I said, you would have been the first to ask for help. Can't wait to grab a beer together smile.gif

I'm here mate wink.gif let me know when you arrive biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
graymic
Apr 30 2012, 09:44 AM
QUOTE (rhoads @ Nov 15 2010, 07:44 PM) *
Hi everybody,

This will be a long post so I put the idea in the title to get your attention because I really need your opinions and advice on this.

On short: I want to save some money, give up my daily job and practice about 7-8 hours a day for one year.

To me it's clear now, playing guitar is what I like to do the most and I never stopped dreaming that one day this is what I will do this for a living also. I know it is possible (even here in Eastern Europe) because I have lots of examples and I am willing to pay the price to get there, but for this, there is one essential condition: to be VERY GOOD at it. You don't need to be a guitar god but to be VERY GOOD at it. And here is the problem. I discovered this instrument (and all the related stuff) at 22 years old. Now I am 26.

It's been almost 3 years now since I have taken practice seriously which means that I invested 90% of my free time to this. I tried to get to a an average of 4 hours a day for practice but, unfortunately these are after about 6-8 hours of programming which is what I do for a living for 6 years now. All this is starting to be really toxic because a have very little time to spend with my family and fiends, read a book, watch a movie and the list can go on and beside this, I kinda feel that most of the time was just wasted because you cannot really assimilate much after working a day in front of a computer. As a result: my skills are still pretty low. (you can check out my REC takes if you like: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...p?showuser=8284 or https://www.youtube.com/alexandrugeorgescu)

So, my plan is to save some money until around March next year that should last me for about 6 months, quit my job and start practicing 7-8 hours a day after a efficient agenda which I am sure I can find on GMC. Of course, to take some private lessons from a teacher in my town and there are some local bands which I can jam with. (I don't plan to practice alone for the whole time). So this will be the main activity of the day, just as I would have gone to a music school tongue.gif, and this way I will progress a lot better.

I know I said 1 year in the beginning but the 6 six months will be a milestone because my fear is that I still don't know if I have real talent at this. All I know I that I like it more than anything else and I want to do this for the rest of my life. I keep blaming it on the lack of time and on tiredness but I don't want to lie to myself and figure out some stuff about me. (I am not in high school anymore, not even college so I it is about time smile.gif. Anyway, if after 6 month of practicing like this I still feel that I am not too far from the level I am now, then.. maybe this isn't my thing after all, or maybe 22 years old it is just to late to start playing guitar. But if is the other way around then I will do anything I can to get another 4-6 month of practice like this. And maybe after one year I will have the necessary skills to join a let's say.. semi-professional band an develop from there on. And on. And oooooon, it's Heaven and Heeeell \m/ !!!. Ok, got a little carried away here smile.gif.

Anyway, rock and blues are the styles that I want to study. Would like jazz also but I haven't tried it before and I know that one year is not enough for this. I will approach it however.

So, please tell me, am I crazy ? is this a good idea ? do you think that one year is enough to get to a decent level ? (please check my REC takes also before answering to this one so you can have an idea of where I am now).

I know there are still lots to talk about, planing, etc but his was just the spark so.. please enlighten me smile.gif

Think very carefully about what you're about to do. The idea of becoming great at guitar is really something quite like nothing else.

However, you say you do a programming career and you have no time for family? Maybe it's the way you are approaching life. I work as a developer (Java & PHP). working 35.5 hours a week, naturally a light/middleweight developer this has a lot of priorities within the work place and often I am tired when I get home at approximately 7pm.

That being said - after a while of working I assessed how much free time I actually had. Considering that going to bed at 12 was really just an average time (unless of course I've had a very stressful day in which case I'd go at like 10 / 11) for people I had about 30 minutes for supper and the remaining evening was spent with a few hours with the family and a few hours on the guitar.

The weekends I would alternate, one weekend at the gym for a few hours the other weekend flying my plane (no, nothing special just a pitts aircraft). There was still LOADS of hours I had in between for guitar. Now, I'm not amazing at all, nothing like the chaps here. But when I was in a band we did accrue some cash from gigs and got some recognition in the few towns with a thousand or so follows on our facebook page. This is with a little dedication and thought to lifestyle.

I'm sure this could be argued in your case that with more time you will be 'great'. But I don't think it's really something one should rush into thinking it will lead somewhere - I think things like this should be weaned into before actions such as this are taken.

Either way, if you can afford it and it won't impede your future career in programming should this route fail, then go for it. But a year out of the technology field is quite risky as there will be people who can attain a lot of knowledge in a year and then be the top of their field making it very difficult to get back into.

Mike

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 2 2012, 06:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Gray!

It was a little too late for your advice lol

Check the date of the first post, he's already had his year off work!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
rhoads
May 2 2012, 07:49 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes Mike. It's a bit to late. The year has passed I already started to work again, but I can say now without any doubt that it was the best decision I could ever take.
If I think about it, it is not so much for what I have learned on guitar, but for what I learned about myself. I had time to experience lots of stuff from the social and emotional point of view. I couldn't do that if I wasn't free so to say smile.gif. 90% of what I learned was in the second half of the year when I got in that band. And I think I could have done that by working 4-5 hours a day, but I wanted to disconnect myself completely (luckily I afforded that).
The greatest achievement is the fact that now I don't care anymore about my technique and all that rigid stuff. I just want to express something and I really feel it. Live my life and sing about what I feel and think of this world. This is actually the main reason that I decided that is no use to continue practicing 8 hours a day, because I could have afforded it for another 3-4 month. There wasn't any point to that at least for the next period. Well that, and the fact that I need money to move out of this place and I will need money where I will go until my future band will be no1 in the charts tongue.gif.

This post has been edited by rhoads: May 2 2012, 07:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2012, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Well, Mr rhoads smile.gif if you wish that, no, let me rephrase, if you truly wish that, chances are you will put in a lot of work, get trampled by all sorts of unworthy people, BUT at one point you will succeed! I strongly believe in hard working people more than anything smile.gif You know, they say talent means about 20% and the rest is work biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:44 PM