Cheap Amp For Metalcore? (practice + Small Gigs), Round 500$
Daniel Realpe
Jan 7 2010, 04:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 6 2010, 09:49 PM) *
[attachment=19820:stfu_noob.jpg]

hhahahah biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 7 2010, 08:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (shredmaster1393 @ Jan 6 2010, 11:40 PM) *
i think it will because i have a 15 watt and i have to keep volume on level 1 and if i put it on 10, i am pretty sure i could break a window or somethin. and thats just the 15 watt viper, it would be alot louder if i had the 30 or 75 watt viper.

No it will certainly not!
No offense but volume can't be set into relation. For example your 15 watts are way to loud cranked in your home but that is in relation to the loudness level you have at home: None.

While 15 watt seem to be too loud at home, next to a drummer they are barely hearable! Now add another guitar, bass and a singer - maybe an audiance of a couple of hundred people and you wont be able to tell if you amp is on or not!
Also Solid State Amps of the same wattage are not as loud as Tube amps, dunno why, maybe the tube amps just cut better and feel louder but not really are...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 7 2010, 08:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 7 2010, 08:09 PM) *
Also Solid State Amps of the same wattage are not as loud as Tube amps, dunno why, maybe the tube amps just cut better and feel louder but not really are...

watts is just a measure so 100 watts from a solid state or tube amp is infact the same.
The sound wave is built up differently between the two so the tube sound is picked up by the ear in another way than the solid state sound.
Interpreted as louder though it's not. I suppose the dynamic and harmonic tones makes the sound wider and fuller hence picked up as louder as far as I can understand.

One other reason that I never seen debated but I can think if is that the cranked 100 watt solid state puts out 100 watt through the speakers while a cranked and distorted tube amp puts out something like a maximum of 150-180 watts or so. AB testing the two with the same volume dialed in could be misleading. Needs a measuring instrument to determine the output for a fair comparance. Still ith the instrument measuring an equal output the tube amp would be understood as louder by ones ear.
A win win situation for the tube amp. smile.gif

And true. 30 watts is too little. I've played a 30 watter in a ~30 sqm room which was alright. Also in a 100 sqm room where it was way too weak, + the single 12" speaker didn't spread the sound well at all.
50 w tube amp (concidering it'll put out more wattage than the stamped lable says) or a 100 watt SS I guess would be fine.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 7 2010, 09:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 7 2010, 08:34 PM) *
50 w tube amp (concidering it'll put out more wattage than the stamped lable says) or a 100 watt SS I guess would be fine.

Pretty much what I said 20 posts ago! It feels good to have you oppinion supported by a pro biggrin.gif

Randall will work in the Metal Ballpark for sure although I haven't played that model - the bigger heads sure do!
I suggested the 6505 because I just love the amp for Metal (I am going to buy the combo as soon as it is released) and so many great Metal and Metalcore bands get their sound from the Peavey 5150/6505 amps:

Arch Enemy
Killswitch Engage
Machine Head
In Flames
Bullet For My Vallentine
Trivium
Gojira
Soulfly
Chimaira
August Burns Red

And many more!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 7 2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Reading this i am really considering buying a 6505 combo

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 7 2010, 10:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (superize @ Jan 7 2010, 09:43 PM) *

I am going to buy one for home use and to have a portable amp for jam sessions as it really is a pain in the lower back to move my halfstack arround for just a quick jam with a drummer or so...

60 Watt tube is really loud though! It is too loud for using it at home when you have picky neighbours, even on volume one!
I will use it only on daytime and switch to guitar-rig and headphones for the evenings...

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 7 2010, 10:30 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (superize @ Jan 7 2010, 09:43 PM) *

Me too... If they make a 5 watter for home recording laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2010, 10:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 7 2010, 08:34 PM) *
watts is just a measure so 100 watts from a solid state or tube amp is infact the same.
The sound wave is built up differently between the two so the tube sound is picked up by the ear in another way than the solid state sound.
Interpreted as louder though it's not. I suppose the dynamic and harmonic tones makes the sound wider and fuller hence picked up as louder as far as I can understand.

One other reason that I never seen debated but I can think if is that the cranked 100 watt solid state puts out 100 watt through the speakers while a cranked and distorted tube amp puts out something like a maximum of 150-180 watts or so. AB testing the two with the same volume dialed in could be misleading. Needs a measuring instrument to determine the output for a fair comparance. Still ith the instrument measuring an equal output the tube amp would be understood as louder by ones ear.
A win win situation for the tube amp. smile.gif

And true. 30 watts is too little. I've played a 30 watter in a ~30 sqm room which was alright. Also in a 100 sqm room where it was way too weak, + the single 12" speaker didn't spread the sound well at all.

True. Tube amp is not louder than SS one (if we presume that the cabinet used for both is the same). It just produces more pleasant harmonic overtones so it sounds better on high volumes, thus allowing the players to crank it and still sound good. SS amp would be just as loud, but nobody wants to use it cranked, this is the main reason it's "less loud". So, some headroom is needed on the SS one, I would agree 100% with the 50W tube/100W SS statement, it's a good comparison.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 8 2010, 01:10 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Well... the 6505 looks like very decent choice... I might even wait for a while and go right for it, but the problem is, it costs twice the price in Czech Republic (neighbouring country..... what the hell???)

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Jan 8 2010, 01:15 AM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 8 2010, 01:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Jan 8 2010, 01:10 AM) *
Well... the 6505 looks like very decent choice... I might even wait for a while and go right for it, but the problem is, it costs twice the price in Czech Republic (neighbouring country..... what the hell???)

Make sure you are looking at the 1x12 Combo! There is also a 2x12 combo which has 120watt and costs 1100 Euros!

I am pretty sure Thomann ships to Czech Republic!
Also there are no taxes or customs within Europe, why not take a trip over the border and just buy it in Germany and drive right back?

EDIT:

Just checked, Thomann ships to the Chzech Republik, shipping is 15 Euros!

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 8 2010, 01:41 AM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 9 2010, 05:19 PM
Instructor
If you can wait for a while to get a hold of the 6505, I also advise this, because it's a great tube metal amp. I haven't tested the combo, I only played 6505+ head into JSX cab, and that indeed grinds.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 9 2010, 05:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 9 2010, 05:55 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Throwing in another amp for you to concider, preamp tube in it, Randall RG200 G3 Plus. Listend to a few sound clips and it sounds pretty metal core to me cool.gif I was a little bit surprised over how mean-good it sounds, the sound clips I mean.

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 10 2010, 01:22 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Well that Randall is even more expensive than that peavey and its way over my budget biggrin.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2010, 01:25 AM
Instructor
I agree with Micke, although the 200W version is a 212 combo, which means it is a bit heavier, so it may be a bit of a transporting problem. It will give away more fuller range than 112 combo on the other hand.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:48 AM