Scale Shapes, Correlating pentatonic and diatonic shapes
Satchstet
Sep 6 2011, 02:17 AM
GMC:er

So I'm wanting to get even better at knowing where I am on the fingerboard and how to play over key changes......like E Ionian to E Lydian for example. I've been thinking a lot about how to approach this and i have discovered something. The pentatonic shapes and diatonic shapes as I have learned them don't mesh very well thanks to the interval between the G and B string. Sooooooo......to compensate for this I have decided to modify the diatonic scale shapes. They will be 3 nps on the E A D strings and then 2 nps on the B string and then back to 3 nps on the B and E strings. This makes it to where I can then "overlay" the diatonic shape on the pentatonic shape and i don't have to shift "out of position" when I play the straight 3 nps shapes. Pretty damn handy I think. It makes it A LOT easier to slip in and out of pentatonic and diatonic playing when doing this.

I've never seen diatonic scales taught like this. I've only seen them taught 3nps with the position shift on the B and E strings and I've seen the CAGED method where there are only 5 positions taught....even though there are 7 notes in the diatonic scale. The CAGED system also has 2nps on inconsistent strings as well.....sometimes on the B string sometimes on the A string etc......no consistency. Anyways just a little revealation I had when trying to switch between the diatonic and pentatonic scale. It makes it easier to stick to the "safe" notes of the pentatonic scale but know quickly where the "color" notes of the diatonic scale is so you can spice up your playing........ smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:27 PM