2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Advanced Vs Pro Playing, How to get that extra bit of mojo which makes all the difference?
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2014, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 31 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Thanks a lot Rod - it's always good to know a song is approved by a headbanger! =)

For sure - experiment with both. Generally if I can achieve a similar attack/tone while still being relaxed I will go for it - since I find that control comes form a relaxed technique.

However there are some extremely aggressive picking styles that probably can't be done without applying a bit of tension - I am not exactly sure how they are done though.

Sometimes when riffing or playing funk for instance, I discovered that I need to have a very loose wrist and let the forearm behave like the handle of a ball and chain - loose in the swing and snap the strings firmly when hitting them - it gives that specific attack in funk music smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 1 2014, 08:08 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 31 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Sometimes when riffing or playing funk for instance, I discovered that I need to have a very loose wrist and let the forearm behave like the handle of a ball and chain - loose in the swing and snap the strings firmly when hitting them - it gives that specific attack in funk music smile.gif

Very good description! The goal should be controlled tension whenever you do choose to apply tension, and this is a good way to visualise it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2014, 10:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 1 2014, 07:08 AM) *
Very good description! The goal should be controlled tension whenever you do choose to apply tension, and this is a good way to visualise it.

Thanks Kris! I always like to help people out by making them visualize or hear something they know well about smile.gif For interval training, I like to make them think of sounds which are familiar to them and associate them with certain intervals - for instance, the 5th sounds like a medieval trumpet announcing the arrival of someone at the castle smile.gif Think a bit and let me know if you can hear it - play it two times in a row biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:05 PM