Legato
AIB234
Jun 16 2007, 12:47 AM
GMC:er
I know I've heard this in Pavel's video, but I really just want to check it over to be sure.

I am not supposed to be doing pull-offs with legato, right? It's more like tapping?

Also, my legato is fainter than my regular playing, but hopefully this will develop with time also?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 16 2007, 03:38 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 15 2007, 06:47 PM) *
I know I've heard this in Pavel's video, but I really just want to check it over to be sure.

I am not supposed to be doing pull-offs with legato, right? It's more like tapping?

Also, my legato is fainter than my regular playing, but hopefully this will develop with time also?

Hammer-ons and Pull-offs is legato!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 16 2007, 04:26 AM
I recall in Pavel's video he says that you should not need to pull off, it is more of a tap.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 16 2007, 04:40 AM
lol hey dude let me explain something to you. Hammer-ons are with the left hand of hammering down a fret without picking to make the sound. Pull-off would be just the opposite of a Hammer-on. And tapping is with your right hand or picking hand. In which you use your middle, or index or whichever finger and fret any note, and pull it off!! Trust me your either explaining what your trying to say wrong, or your just recalling wrong!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 16 2007, 05:12 AM
I know the difference between tapping and pull offs/hammer ons.

What I am trying to say is that when you play legato, is there an actual 'pulling off' motion, or do you simply lift your finger off the string like I interpreted from Pavel's video?

Look at: http://guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/l...esson/index.htm

Second video around the 2 minute mark.

I hope this helps clear things up.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 16 2007, 05:30 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 15 2007, 11:12 PM) *
I know the difference between tapping and pull offs/hammer ons.

What I am trying to say is that when you play legato, is there an actual 'pulling off' motion, or do you simply lift your finger off the string like I interpreted from Pavel's video?

Look at: http://guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/l...esson/index.htm

Second video around the 2 minute mark.

I hope this helps clear things up.

ok i see you do actually pull-off!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 16 2007, 09:37 AM
Instructor
Hey AIB234!

You got it wrong. I said that LEGATO is hammer-on and pull-offs. But usually when players do pull-off it's a huge pull-off - that's what you have to get rid of. What i said is once you perfect the pull-off you won't even have to pull off the string! wink.gif Practice makes perfect!

Keep rockin'!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 16 2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks Pavel.

I'll work on making my pull offs neater

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jun 16 2007, 05:14 PM
The Dark Canuck
AIB234 I'm not trying to take over your thread but I have a legato question...is there a standard as to how many frets you span while playing Legato? I may be wrong but in Pavels video it looks like he's spaning 5 ( 8th to 12th included) with 4 frets I can use the tops of my fingers like Pavel said but the second I try to span 5 my fingures are fine with the exception of my pinky...I use the side. This is making it very hard for pull offs and I'm not getting the sound I should plus I keep touching the other strings.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 16 2007, 05:36 PM
Instructor
That's why i said that sitting the classical way - with the guitar on your left leg is the best for your technique because than you don't have any limitations for your left hand. I don't know how you sit with guitar but half of the problems people have with stretches and legato come from wrong sitting.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jun 16 2007, 05:48 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 16 2007, 01:36 PM) *
That's why i said that sitting the classical way - with the guitar on your left leg is the best for your technique because than you don't have any limitations for your left hand. I don't know how you sit with guitar but half of the problems people have with stretches and legato come from wrong sitting.

Thanks Pavel...I tried playing the classical way and it did help a bit...still having a some problems with my pinky but I think it's a strength issue.

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 24 2007, 01:35 AM
Thought of another question:

Is it cheating to turn my gain up?

I was just playing around with the settings on my amp and notice that when my gain is higher, my playing and legato are the same volume.

Or should I aim to be able to play my legato just as loud without gain? Seems impossible, but hey, I'm not the expert!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 24 2007, 03:26 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 23 2007, 06:35 PM) *
Thought of another question:

Is it cheating to turn my gain up?

I was just playing around with the settings on my amp and notice that when my gain is higher, my playing and legato are the same volume.

Or should I aim to be able to play my legato just as loud without gain? Seems impossible, but hey, I'm not the expert!

I can play legato just as loud with no amplification at all on my electric, so I would say, keep practicing. But It's okay to turn up your gain now and then tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 24 2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks JVM.

I don't turn my gain up, just a certain setting turned it up and then suddenly it was all the same smile.gif

Wondered if this was how it was done or whether I should aim to be playing just as loud with my amp off.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 24 2007, 04:42 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jun 23 2007, 09:13 PM) *
Thanks JVM.

I don't turn my gain up, just a certain setting turned it up and then suddenly it was all the same smile.gif

Wondered if this was how it was done or whether I should aim to be playing just as loud with my amp off.

Well okay, lemme clarify. My legato isn't quite as loud as the pick strike (depends on how hard you strike), but I don't think I can make it any louder. I've tried tongue.gif I'd aim for that, but it came naturally to me without actively practicing it over time.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 3 2007, 02:50 AM
Instructor
Probably the coolest sound for legato is on high gain.
But just be sure in your abilities,practice it on low gain,clean or even unplugged too. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 3 2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah legato is really a great technique. If you wanna see a legato master. Then well......prepare your self .......

http://video.google.com/url?docid=-1748881...fS37Yae2OD3oMgw

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jul 3 2007, 05:50 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:19 PM