Apprentice Bushido Task 14
Ben Higgins
Apr 27 2012, 06:11 PM
Instructor
This is the first Task under the newly renamed Apprentice thread, however we will treat it as number 14 still because this is the continuation of the Beginner thread.

You've spent a long time working on specific areas of guitar playing. Alternate picking, bending, legato. Now I wanted to let you guys have a real piece of music this time to put it all together and see how much you've improved.. and also just to enjoy and reward yourselves with. It'll be a nice way to round out April smile.gif

Task 14: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/theme_...ds_of_fantasia/

Don't be worried that it's a 4. I think you guys can handle it. Also, I wanted to draw attention to a really fast bit at 0:45. You don't have to play that run. Instead, feel free to either ignore it completely or just take a few of the notes and create a slower run up to the next phrase.

I hope you guys enjoy it, as this is the way it's intended. You deserve to kick back and play something nice with a great melody. And notice how the first thing you encounter is our old friend, picked arpeggios ! wink.gif

Deadline is, of course, next Friday 4th May !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoom
Apr 29 2012, 06:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Nice - It seem easy enough but to get it smooth and nice is another story. See you in a week. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 29 2012, 08:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Apr 29 2012, 06:01 AM) *
Nice - It seem easy enough but to get it smooth and nice is another story. See you in a week. smile.gif

Great, I hope you guys enjoy this one ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 1 2012, 09:26 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
I do, but my vibrato is quite bad. And on this kind of tune, it's a real problem. I'll do my best, but I don't have a lot of time this week. sad.gif

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 2 2012, 09:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 1 2012, 09:26 PM) *
I do, but my vibrato is quite bad. And on this kind of tune, it's a real problem. I'll do my best, but I don't have a lot of time this week. sad.gif

Time ??? Time bends for you, guitar warrior ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
May 3 2012, 03:59 AM
Learning Roadie
Mr Ben -- I'm back again smile.gif

So I really enjoyed this one. Lot of different stuff going on.
It's not prefect. But I feel it's getting there. Tone not really happy with. I was using headphones and thought it sounded ok but when after I
rendered it and through my speakers, not so great.

Looking forward to your feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/quarterworlds-of-fantasia

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 08:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ May 3 2012, 03:59 AM) *
Mr Ben -- I'm back again smile.gif

So I really enjoyed this one. Lot of different stuff going on.
It's not prefect. But I feel it's getting there. Tone not really happy with. I was using headphones and thought it sounded ok but when after I
rendered it and through my speakers, not so great.

Looking forward to your feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/quarterworlds-of-fantasia

Zoooooooooooooooooooooooom - it's always epic to see you ! smile.gif

Let me congratulate you on being the first to complete this mountainous Task, you did a grand job and let me tell you why...

Your bending was good and you solved the problem of the fast run.. you did exactly what I would have done if I needed to simplify it. Instead of straight 16th notes, you changed it to slower triplets which works brilliantly - you solved the riddle ! biggrin.gif

Have yourself a Donut of Celebration and bask in your glory ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 10:17 AM
Instructor
On the subject of Donuts, I've made an exciting new addition to Guitar Bushido so check it out ! biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=44186

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 5 2012, 10:40 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 2 2012, 10:34 AM) *
Time ??? Time bends for you, guitar warrior ! biggrin.gif

You werer right. I've bent time ! It still thursday ! biggrin.gif

Ok, here is my take. I didn't spend a lot of time on it but it's not as bad as I first thought (hope you will agree with that wink.gif )
I can tell I've made a lot of progress working with you thes last few weeks, I never could have recorder a song so quickly before. Thank you Sensei smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/theme-from-quarterworlds-of/s-q2qup

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 5 2012, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Haha ! You have learnt the secrets of bending time !

I find that I'm still living happily in 1984 (which was before I was even born, but hey !) biggrin.gif

Great submission double G.. I really like it. This is a nice piece to listen to and if I'm still enjoying listening to it then your guitar playing had to have been good wink.gif

I like the way you nailed those micro bends at the beginning of the opening phrases too.. they're important to the phrase ! Good work !

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 5 2012, 01:29 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 5 2012, 12:11 PM) *
Haha ! You have learnt the secrets of bending time !

I find that I'm still living happily in 1984 (which was before I was even born, but hey !) biggrin.gif

Oouch ! That wasn't nice, it makes me feel really old ! ohmy.gif
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments anyway, I really appreciated it.

I'm gonna try to earn a donnut now ! Zoom, take care, I'm on my way. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 5 2012, 02:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 5 2012, 01:29 PM) *
I'm gonna try to earn a donnut now ! Zoom, take care, I'm on my way. wink.gif

Donut Wars !

It was only a matter of time.... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MossRoller
May 22 2012, 04:30 PM
GMC:er
Good Morning Ben,
I only have 20 more 6-day weeks, then I'll be in the shadows ready to clutch one of those mystical confectionery delights.

btw, will you eventually be giving away one of these Doughnut Guitars?
Is it true that I'll be able play better with those strings vibrating through my wrist?

Attached Image

Anyways, here's my take. When looking at these videos, it seems on some vibratos, I'm not returning the string back to it's original pitch.
(It's like I'm pulling down on it)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 22 2012, 04:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MossRoller @ May 22 2012, 04:30 PM) *
Good Morning Ben,
I only have 20 more 6-day weeks, then I'll be in the shadows ready to clutch one of those mystical confectionery delights.

btw, will you eventually be giving away one of these Doughnut Guitars?
Is it true that I'll be able play better with those strings vibrating through my wrist?

Attached Image

Anyways, here's my take. When looking at these videos, it seems on some vibratos, I'm not returning the string back to it's original pitch.
(It's like I'm pulling down on it)

Yes, it is true that Donut power will increase your guitar skills !! smile.gif

(may not be medically proven.)

This sounds really great, Moss. I didn't notice any out of tune vibrato actually so all is good ! That downward technique is quite popular and even Emir himself appears to use it too. I prefer to have some 'down and out' wrist angle to it but that's just me. You can make that style work too ! smile.gif

Nice work. When you catch up with the other guys they're gonna start feeling the pressure ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:43 AM