Recording With A Green Screen
Marc_Maiden
Jan 2 2010, 01:22 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys! i finally got my green screen!

ive played a little with it enough to know that lighting is the most important part of using green screen techniques.

but i have some questions maybe someone can answer:

How do you achieve the best results?

I bought a green screen cloth (muslin) not the paper kind...will this effect my quality?

The cloth has a few wrinkles in it...should i iron it out?

can anyone give me a few cheap lighting solutions? I definitely need white light solutions...the lights in my recording space give off the yellow tint that makes chroma key difficult and inaccurate

thanks for the help guys!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Jan 2 2010, 01:23 AM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 2 2010, 04:33 AM
Instructor
from my own experience, lightening is the most important thing, make sure you avoid all shadows on the green background...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2010, 04:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jan 2 2010, 01:22 AM) *
How do you achieve the best results?

By lighting the green screen equally well throughout the surface and achieving equal color on the entire surface, no gradients, no shades.

I bought a green screen cloth (muslin) not the paper kind...will this effect my quality?

No, muslin is a cloth that is suitable for greenscreen, it should provide no reflection.

The cloth has a few wrinkles in it...should i iron it out?

Yes, the flatter the surface the better. This doesn't mean you cannot try it with wrinkles. Perhaps it will work, depending on the settings in the chroma key filter. But, the flatter the surface, the better results, and more easier to obtain transparency.

can anyone give me a few cheap lighting solutions? I definitely need white light solutions...the lights in my recording space give off the yellow tint that makes chroma key difficult and inaccurate

If you need cheap and strong, I recommend halogen lights. They are cheap, and you can get a bunch of them. I recommend at least 4 halogen 500W lights on stands for optimum results. You will also need some light diffusers too to achieve soft light in order to prevent shadows on the screen.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 2 2010, 04:48 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 2 2010, 05:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
Since Im looking into exactly this right now I will add that it is most important to have separate light for the background, eg. the screen in order to get an even color tone. Then can the lights on the main object go from aside or from above - but not straight in front...

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 2 2010, 05:09 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes, you need to pull the screen tight with clamps so it has no wrinkles.

Light the screen separately from your subject as evenly as possible, and place your subject 6 feet in front, light the subject diagonally so the shadows fall off the actual screen. For some information on how to set up lighting take a look at this:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AY956ucC...d6Z3I&hl=en

Also, Mini DV cameras do not have sufficient color resolution for really good results - a switch to HD will make a large difference.

Finally, not all chromakey plugins are the same - the one in After Effects for instance is streets ahead of the one from Vegas.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jan 2 2010, 07:40 PM
awesome guys thank you! i am going to go to walmart and see if i can get those 500w halogens for a good price!

thanks for all your advice!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2010, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Glad to help mate. Let us know how it went! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jan 4 2010, 09:38 PM
i just bought 2 500w halogen lights from walmart...they are really nice and bright...

i guess what i need to do now is make the light "even"

any suggestions?

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2010, 01:42 AM
Instructor
Andrew posted a great tutorial he made, I'm reposting it:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AY956ucC...d6Z3I&hl=en

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 13 2010, 08:18 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jan 4 2010, 09:38 PM) *
i just bought 2 500w halogen lights from walmart...they are really nice and bright...

i guess what i need to do now is make the light "even"

any suggestions?

What I found that works for me is to actually point the lights at the ceiling there fore illuminating whole room and having no shadows on the background etc. You only want your green screen background evenly lit with no shadows to get the keying effect done. You may need more light in this case (pointed up towards ceiling) but it should work easily. Problem with halogen lamps is that they are very harsh when you lit the subject directly with 'em.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2010, 10:20 PM
For doing green screen work, it's ideal to be able to light the subject (you) then the green screen, and then have a "back-light" on the subject. (A light facing the back of your head for a nice rim light and to help create a clear "matte" to help suck out the green. However, you can get by with just a couple of lights if you practice. Just like guitar smile.gif Try to shoot some tests with the lights in various spots and find out where the best placement is. Also, as was mentioned, keeping the green screen tight will help as each ripple or wrinkle can create shadows that can make it harder to get a clean result.

Todd

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 31 2010, 07:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Also try to add a back light for the subject (you) when recording. Pointing a light source from behind you will enable you to easily cut yourself out of the background as transition will be much sharper from you and green background. Generally green screen shooting is hard at start until you find the sweet spots for the lights then its no problem.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 31 2010, 07:03 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:04 AM