Noskill - Mtp Assignment Thread, December 2009
Emir Hot
Dec 3 2009, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Here is the thread for posting assignments. The first one is on Sunday - 6th December.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 6 2009, 06:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
December 6 Assignment. I have an awkward shift to E-Myxolydian and I'm still not entirely safe moving between patterns. My safety net is further in jeopardy when I change keys quickly. I think that I learned a few things with this.

1. Each time I think I'm getting more familiar with the fretboard, I realize there is a way to go yet. wink.gif
2. Pay attention to the chord changes, don't just cross your fingers an hope to land sanely.
3. Playing continually in 16th without any pause, no matter how slow, requires some anticipation of chord changes.

Here's the video, I hope I got the intent of the exercise. I'm a smidge unhappy with the playing, however, I'm told that I have a pathological inability to be pleased with anything regarding guitar. *shrug*

A - Aeolian over Am
D - Dorian over Dm7
E - Myxolydian over E7
A - Aeolian

A- Aeolian
D-Dorian
E-myxolydian
A-Aeolian
C#-Phrygian

F# Aeolian
E Myxo
D Lydian
A Ionian
C# Phrygian

F#Aeolian
E/G# Myxo
D Lydian
E7 Myxo
A Ionian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Dec 7 2009, 12:40 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 7 2009, 10:55 AM
Instructor
That was a pleasant surprise to see that you didn't stop and you covered nearly the whole neck in 16th notes. Very good job.

Now some tips that I told to Dexxter. Here is the copy from his thread:

It is better to play C#7 as mixolydian, not phrygian. The same goes for E7 chord. That's because phrygian is a minor mode - it's got minor 3rd in the scale. Our dominant 7 chord has major third. Actually the best scale to use there would be phrygian dominant. Same as phrygian but with the major 3rd. That's the 5th mode of harmonic minor. We haven't done these yet but I just thought you would hear it. In our case we need to have some kind of a dominant 7 flow over that chord. The easiest option is just to throw a dominant 7 arpeggio (1, 3, 5, b7) and you would hear that you're sounding great smile.gif

Apart from this you did really good. I will soon prepare something more challenging but it won't hurt a lot smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 8 2009, 01:35 PM
Instructor
Assignment 2 - December 13th

The second task is to make charts (like I made for major scales) for arpeggios in 5 positions. Please make 3 charts - maj7, dom7 and min7 arpeggios. I want you to send me the picture on email, do not upload here as some other guys will have to make the same. We don't want stolen work smile.gif You can use Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel or any other graphic program and export jpg picture. You already have my chart so for maj7 arpeggio you can just take out 2nds, 4ths and 6hts, that will leave you with maj7 arpegio. For dom7 the same but change the maj7th interval to b7th and that will give you dom7 arpeggio. You figure out the min7 chart. Paint root notes in black or some different color that the other notes. Play all 3 of them like you did with the major scales in all positions as written on the chart which you will make. Please play all arpeggios over some drum loop or a metronome. You can use one key for each.

Assignment 3 - December 20th
Improvise over the same track that you have made for the first assignment but only with arpeggios that you have made on the second assignment. When I say arpeggio I don't mean the fast sweeped arpeggio. Just normal 8th or 16th notes one after another. Here is the list which you can use. The chords are not in order as on the backing, just the reference which arpeggio you should use over each chord.

Am - min7
Dm7 - min7
E7 - dom7
C#7 - dom7
F#m - min7
E - dom7
D - maj7
A - maj7
E/G# - dom7

Please use as many positions as you can.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 14 2009, 08:50 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Uploading...

I don't even know what to say about this. Not my best effort. I had some difficulties but I continue to work on them.

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Dec 14 2009, 09:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 14 2009, 09:57 AM
Instructor
smile.gif that was funny at some points. The last one wasn't good but nevermind. I think you got this now. Still not comfortable but you'll get there. Just don't give up practicing. Just remember to visualise the root at all times then it's easy to see where the 3rd is and the rest. I thought you would go for one type of arpeggio in all positions then another one but nevermind, this is ok.

Now you know the next task smile.gif I suggest that you practice this is different keys and then give it a try over that backing following the instructions from my previous post.

Good luck smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 25 2009, 01:42 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well, the last two weeks has left me bloodied and bruised. I humbly submit this take for my weekly assignment. I feel shame. I will practice these shapes and visualize the roots, daily as part of my warmup. Improvising this always seemed to leave me about one beat behind, but what a marvelous exercise.

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Dec 25 2009, 02:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 26 2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor
smile.gif Ok man, you got the notes smile.gif Phrasing wasn't very interesting but that will come. I am quite happy with this progress. You shouldn't be that much stressed about all this. You're doing something you've never been through and this sounds ok. For me this was a whole new world when I took this approach.

Some tips for improvement. You start every shape from 6th string down and up. You can also try to develop something in between. If you find your self finishing the bar on the 3rd string then you can continue from there to the next arpeggio. That's the real beauty of this. Also yopu don't need to go note by note in order. Always try to come up with some different paterns. For example play 2, 1,3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4 - that order of arpeggio notes. There are many different ways to make it more creative.

Now to the next one which should be by the end of the month. Learn Dorian modes in 5 positions and play them over a drum loop. This is easy. The same as major scale patterns, just different root. I want you to start position 1 normaly from the 6th string down. The next one play from 1st string upwards. Then the next one again from the 6th string. Also do them all on the way back in opposite direction.

Forget about Melodic minor shape, we're not doing that one, I just took the chart from one of my lessons.

DORIAN SCALES

Also when you do your REC post the link here and I will lock this month thread.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 27 2009, 08:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Submitting early as I had time to do it last night. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to pause or not so I did them at a tempo where I could do all the same note durations with no pause between shapes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 27 2009, 09:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Dorian scale patterns posted above.

December MTP REC Submission

I used my Schecter guitar as it's tuned to Eb for the lesson. Tuning the Jackson to Eb with the FR is a pain.

Original Lesson - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/

Guitar: Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Pod: Toneport KB-37
Modelling: Guitar Rig 4
DAW: Logic
Video: Sony Vegas 9

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 29 2009, 03:54 AM
Instructor
Good stuff man. Thanks for your hard work this month. This thread will be locked now and we're moving to January phase of MTP. Thanks.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:37 PM