When Should Beginners Start Learning Scales?
ChiefOtto
May 2 2011, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMCers,

I'm wondering when should I start learning scales?

I have friends I play with, most have been playing for years and are pros, and they say I should learn several chords, songs, strumming patterns, and basic to intermediate theory before I learn scales.

Regarsds,

Chief Otto

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
bill95
May 11 2011, 10:04 AM
GMC:er
Hello there m8, im also a begginer like you (been playing for something more than 3 months), i started learning scales on my very first days, scales are 1 of the most important things to learn on the guitar,cause u can understand the guitar better and when you learn how to play a bit u'll be able to improvise.Something that can also help u understand the connection between scales is the circle of fifths, check it out, it will help u understand how scales are related together.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bill95: May 11 2011, 10:06 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 26 2011, 09:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bill95 @ May 11 2011, 11:04 AM) *
Hello there m8, im also a begginer like you (been playing for something more than 3 months), i started learning scales on my very first days, scales are 1 of the most important things to learn on the guitar,cause u can understand the guitar better and when you learn how to play a bit u'll be able to improvise.Something that can also help u understand the connection between scales is the circle of fifths, check it out, it will help u understand how scales are related together.

Very good advice Bill, this is true, and I support the idea of learning theory in parallel, so there is clear awareness why scales exist and how they are structured together.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:07 PM