Suggestions On Metal Learning
Tsuki
May 29 2007, 12:28 PM
GMC:er
Hello there...

I am playing electric (I play acoustic aswell) to learn how to play metal. Not necessarily shred but i'm looking to learn complex sequences and to be able to improvise and construct. This is all in the style of progressive metal such as Tool.

I like dark and brutal metal, though not necessarily fast or hard, so not going for death or black metal rampaging lol.

What I would like is for someone to suggest an order of lessons / skills / scales / modes etc to learn to bring me too my destination.

Any help would be appreciated, please feel free to ask questions if your not sure as to my focus....

Thank you all!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 29 2007, 01:14 PM
Instructor
You can get much further than that by mastering all techniques - there is no such thing like "technique for metal" - there IS such thing like "i can play it or not" so basically you'll have to practiec all techniques.

As for lessons - everything - alternate picking, sweeping, legato, my metal riffing series will give you some insight into riff writing!

Have fun!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Tsuki
May 29 2007, 01:28 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 29 2007, 01:14 PM) *
You can get much further than that by mastering all techniques - there is no such thing like "technique for metal" - there IS such thing like "i can play it or not" so basically you'll have to practiec all techniques.

As for lessons - everything - alternate picking, sweeping, legato, my metal riffing series will give you some insight into riff writing!

Have fun!

Hey Pavel, Cheers for answering.

I absolutely agree and I will be going about learning all I can in time to come, and I will practice all techniques, I was just wondering if you could give me a suggested procedure of lessons as it isn't always easy to distinguish which lesson would be most beneficial to learn next.

For instance, I quite like the style from speed metal rigging but I am not good enough yet and I guess a few lessons previous to that to improve before I get there would be good, but there's so much to choose from. So a suggestion of how best to go on would be great!

Cheers

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 29 2007, 01:32 PM
Instructor
Go for all alternate picking lessons you can find on GMC! Picking is the most important stuff to handle especially for riffing!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 29 2007, 02:35 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yes, i would start there, a good picking technique can create some really great riffs.

And like Pavel said, learn everything, Metal is probably THE Most diverse Genre of music, it incorporates elements of pretty much every other kind of music (Classical, Blues, Jazz, Country, Rock N' Roll, and other metal genres of course) so learning all the techniques will give you a better understading of how those musicians are using their instruments, and you'll be able to pick up on some subtle things that they do that really "Spice Up" there riffs.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: May 29 2007, 02:35 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
May 29 2007, 04:34 PM
I just use major, minor, sus and powerchords. I never use scales when making metal riffs, I have a couple of patterns that I use sometimes though. When it comes to soloing I cant do anything else than blues.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 29 2007, 05:28 PM
When it comes to me, i use alot of Major and Minor as well, and alot of Phyrgian and Ionian as well. i love Phrygian so much biggrin.gif

Oh, and i have this thing with playing in F# Alot.

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 29 2007, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 29 2007, 06:28 PM) *
i use alot of Major and Minor and Ionian as well. i love Phrygian so much biggrin.gif

Ionian IS Major! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tsuki
May 29 2007, 06:21 PM
Cheers guys.

Alternate picking and phrygian....

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 29 2007, 07:02 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 29 2007, 12:32 PM) *

It is? Damn! Well at least we can still use Aeolian and Minor scales to get some variety ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 29 2007, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 29 2007, 08:02 PM) *
It is? Damn! Well at least we can still use Aeolian and Minor scales to get some variety ...

You got to be kiddin'!!! Are those really the same??? Oh, noooooooooo sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Good one Andrew!!! hahahahahaha

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 29 2007, 07:10 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 29 2007, 02:06 PM) *
You got to be kiddin'!!! Are those really the same??? Oh, noooooooooo sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Good one Andrew!!! hahahahahaha

Still, at least we can use relative minors to change things around from Aeolian a little ... oh, wait ...

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 29 2007, 02:10 PM) *
Still, at least we can use relative minors to change things around from Aeolian a little ... oh, wait ...

Its the new thing - Modal Comedy laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 29 2007, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 29 2007, 10:10 AM) *
Its the new thing - Modal Comedy laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

stick with guitar tongue.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 31 2007, 12:04 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 29 2007, 12:32 PM) *

laugh.gif

I should probably think about what i type before i type it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 31 2007, 02:28 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 30 2007, 07:04 PM) *
laugh.gif

I should probably think about what i type before i type it smile.gif

No, don't apologise - you created a new genre of comedy with your prophetic words (and I know that Eat-Sleep-andJam is just jealous that Pavel and I got to it first!!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 31 2007, 02:31 AM
Yeah i didnt really realize what i typed, i got carried away.

But this is a new form of comedy, which only a select few know, the comedy of....

MUSIC THEORY!!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 31 2007, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 30 2007, 09:31 PM) *
Yeah i didnt really realize what i typed, i got carried away.
But this is a new form of comedy, which only a select few know, the comedy of....
MUSIC THEORY!!

Yes!!! You have to study for years before you get the jokes smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:37 AM