3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Chris S. Home Studio Bootcamp!, Blood, Sweat, and E.Q.!!!!
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2014, 04:20 AM
GMC:er
!!RECORDING BOOTCAMP!!

Welcome!!! This is your own private Idaho!!! Your very own window in to the soul and mystery of "HOME RECORDING" and "MIXING/MASTERING". I'll be your guide, and we will be asking other GMCers to join us as we guide you on your journey of discovery.

There has NEVER been a better time to build your own STUDIO. The time is NOW!!! Let's GO!!!!!!

For starters, let's cover the basics. Please respond to these questions.

1. PC or Mac?
  2. What is your Audio Interface/Soundcard?
  3. What is your DAW/Software of Choice?
  4. Do you Have any Microphones?
  5. Do you have a Good pair of Headphones? ( not earbuds)
  6. Do you have a pair of good audio monitors?
  7. Do you have any experience recording?
  8. Do you have a video camera/Web cam?
  9. Do you have a soundcloud.com account?
  10. Do you have a dropbox.com account?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 23 2014, 04:22 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Oct 23 2014, 06:36 PM
Learning Roadie
OH YEAH!! Time to bring the pain... I mean gain! tongue.gif

I would like to start off by thanking you for helping me out with this, I really do appreciate it - the days of random EQ sliding is over!

PC or Mac?

PC. Samsung Laptop - mostly for personal use no flashy hardware, but it hasn't had any lag issues while running Pod Farm, Reaper and Beatcrat all at the same time (although I have to disable my Wireless Network Adapter when using Pod Farm or it cuts in and out randomly)

Windows 7

Intel Core i3CPU M 380@ 2.53 GHz (whatever any of that means blink.gif )
3 GB of ram (2.86 usable)
64-bit operating system

What is your DAW/Software of Choice?

Reaper for two reasons:

1) Essentially free
2) I'm not at a level where I'm writing songs beginning to end, mostly little snippets so I feel like investing in Pro Tools or something would be a bit of a waste until I develop my songwriting capabilities further.

Do you Have any Microphones?

Only a Samson Go Mic, a little $50 mic that clips onto a laptop - designed mostly for podcasts and acoustic playing.

Do you have a Good pair of Headphones? ( not earbuds)

Just bought Sennheiser HD380 headphones, a big upgrade from the $10 pair of Sony's I've been using laugh.gif

Do you have a pair of good audio monitors?

I do not, but I am on the hunt and should have a decent pair in the next few months.

Do you have any experience recording?

I record a lot of riffs/licks and such to keep as both a reference and to track my progress, but very little editing. Mostly just random Volumes, Panning, and EQ settings.

Do you have a video camera/Web cam?

My iPhone 5 seems to do pretty well capturing video, I can always use my Samson for any voice overs and there are plenty of freeware Screen Capture programs out there to record my screen that I can download.

Do you have a soundcloud.com account?

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic

I use it mostly to upload little snippets or ideas to post on my mentoring thread with Cosmin for him to give me advice on.

Do you have a dropbox.com account?

Nope, but if it's free I have no problem signing up!

Right now my recording setup looks like this:

Guitar > Line 6 UX1 > Pod Farm 2.0 > Reaper > Headphones

I also use Acoustica Beatcraft from drums (want to upgrade to EZ Drummer as soon as possible) and Acoustica Pianissimo for any midi piano.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks Todd!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info!!! From the sound of it you are READY TO GO!!!!!!

MISSION #1

Soldier,
it's time to go on your first MISSION!!!!

MARCHING ORDERS:
*Make your first Recording Bootcamp Track. Dealers choice on instrumentation and structure. Just a recording to get things going.
*Post it to Soundcloud and make it downloadable, AND embed it in a post HERE in your thread.
*Post the MP3 of the track, and your Reaper project (zipped/compressed in to one file) to dropbox.com (make an account) in the PUBLIC folder and put the link in the same post in this thread.

Essentially you are going to record something, and post it so that we can hear it and download it. GO!!!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Oct 23 2014, 07:59 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Oct 24 2014, 04:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Todd!

I'm new to Dropbox and I don't see a folder that says PUBLIC dry.gif

I did compress the file and put it in my files section but I don't know if this is correct:

DROPBOX:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki35kshfajugnqa/H...urCries.7z?dl=0

SOUNDCLOUD:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/hear-our-cries-snippet

(I tried pasting the embed code but it just comes up as the code when I preview the post and not the actual player, I'm sort of new to this as well tongue.gif )

Just a little snippet of an idea to show how uneducated I am in mixing/editing cool.gif

EDIT:

You'll notice that the drum track is just on a loop a long with the rhythm, I did it to make things easier - if I were to ever record a serious piece start to end I would actually develop the drums and play the rhythm beginning to end but I cheated for the sake of getting an example to you biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Oct 24 2014, 04:48 AM

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Oct 30 2014, 09:04 PM
Learning Roadie
I really need to invest in some studio monitors dry.gif

I created a drum track and it sounded pretty decent with my headphones but once I unplugged them and the sound came out of the laptop it was ear piercing mad.gif

EDIT:

Thanks for helping me with the input issue on the Eleven Rack, I feel kinda silly since it was such as simple fix but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me!

I love the on board tuner, it's actually slightly better than my head stock tuner that I usually use - which surprised me.

How does the FX loop respond to gain based effects? That's one of the few things I haven't tried out yet - I was wondering if using an overdrive would give you a realistic result or just your standard OD into a Solid State tone.

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Oct 30 2014, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2014, 11:07 PM
Nicely done!!!! My first recordings sounded nowhere near that good smile.gif Can you give me a breakdown of what you used for each track? software/hardware/fx.

Also, which patch on the 11 rack? or is it custom?

As for gain based effects, I haven't tried it yet, I"m buying a gain based preamp and plan to use it either on the front end or the fx loop whichever sounds better smile.gif Put a tubescreamer or something in the loop and give it a test. So far, I"ve been very happy with all of the gain based stuff inside the 11. One trick. The PRE EQ.

You can download one of my 11 Rack patches in my 11r thread and see how I pre eq the signal before gain to get more out of it before it turns to mush.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=699684

P.S. to embed soundcloud files, click the dropdown menu that says INSERT SPECIAL ITEM then click SOUNDCLOUD and past in the link in the pop up window. smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Oct 30 2014, 04:04 PM) *
I really need to invest in some studio monitors dry.gif

I created a drum track and it sounded pretty decent with my headphones but once I unplugged them and the sound came out of the laptop it was ear piercing mad.gif

EDIT:

Thanks for helping me with the input issue on the Eleven Rack, I feel kinda silly since it was such as simple fix but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me!

I love the on board tuner, it's actually slightly better than my head stock tuner that I usually use - which surprised me.

How does the FX loop respond to gain based effects? That's one of the few things I haven't tried out yet - I was wondering if using an overdrive would give you a realistic result or just your standard OD into a Solid State tone.

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 1 2014, 03:03 AM
Learning Roadie
Nicely done!!!! My first recordings sounded nowhere near that good smile.gif Can you give me a breakdown of what you used for each track? software/hardware/fx.

Also, which patch on the 11 rack? or is it custom?

Don't be fooled! I was actually surprised myself at how it turned out but I promise that anything I usually record doesn't sound anything like that tongue.gif

I actually did this particular snippet with Pod Farm 2.0 - which surprised me as well because everything usually sounds pretty fizzy from Pod Farm.

I ran my Michael Kelly Patriot > UX1 > Pod Farm 2.0 > REAPER & Acoustica Beatcraft for drums.

I used a JCM-800 with a little bit of grit for the rhythm and then cranked the gain and added a touch of reverb and "analog" delay.

Any future takes will be with the awesomeness that is the Eleven Rack! cool.gif

You can download one of my 11 Rack patches in my 11r thread and see how I pre eq the signal before gain to get more out of it before it turns to mush.

Thanks! I will definitely check this out!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2014, 08:30 PM
Maybe use that project as a template for future work. Thats what I do smile.gif I have a template that I start from and it saves a lot of time setting up projects. Especially if you have one that works well. You can always add/subtract tracks. My default project has 16 tracks of different bits ready to go.

Your gonna dig recording with the 11 smile.gif Always record a clean track too as you record so you can reamp later with whatever you like, 11, or plugins. You can add this to the original guitar or replace it. You never know what a mix will need smile.gif It changes as you build it.

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2014, 12:05 AM
Bit of news! TOONTRACK, the guys who make the killer drum vst called EZDRUMMER are having a 40% off sale for METAL MONTH in November smile.gif For you and anyone who doesn't have EZ drummer, this is good time to buy, and anyone who has it, this is a great time to get the METAL expansion drum pack.

here is the link.

http://www.toontrack.com/metal-deals/

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 5 2014, 02:58 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 4 2014, 11:05 PM) *
Bit of news! TOONTRACK, the guys who make the killer drum vst called EZDRUMMER are having a 40% off sale for METAL MONTH in November smile.gif For you and anyone who doesn't have EZ drummer, this is good time to buy, and anyone who has it, this is a great time to get the METAL expansion drum pack.

here is the link.

http://www.toontrack.com/metal-deals/

NICE! Hopefully I can scrape up enough dough to finally replace Beatcraft cool.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 6 2014, 02:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Toddinator!

I was creating a little improvised idea in REAPER using my 11 Rack and I noticed that when I played the recording back there were a lot of pops and other strange sounds here and there - but when I rendered the mp3 they were gone blink.gif

Is this something that is normal?

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2014, 05:07 AM
Sounds like it could be coming from your USB pathway? When you notice this, try to shut down your computer, let is sit just a minute, and restart. Don't start anything but your daw and see if it's still there smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 5 2014, 09:36 PM) *
Hey Toddinator!

I was creating a little improvised idea in REAPER using my 11 Rack and I noticed that when I played the recording back there were a lot of pops and other strange sounds here and there - but when I rendered the mp3 they were gone blink.gif

Is this something that is normal?

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 11 2014, 03:03 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Todd!

I have run into another slight problem.

I bought a beautiful Classic 50s Series strat with old school style single coils.

The problem is the noise. I mean even the slightest amount of gain and the 60 cycle kicks in, regardless of the selector position - the pickups sound great and I'd rather not swap them out which brings me to my question:

Have you tried running a noise suppressor into the fx loop of the eleven rack?

I was thinking of getting a Boss NS-2 to tame the hum. The guitar sounds amazing when I kick the overdrive on in the eleven rack but I'd rather not have to listen to the hum in between my blues licks tongue.gif

Spanx!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2014, 02:02 AM
Yup. Single coil pickups can be very noisey. sad.gif I run a noise suppressor actually before going in to my 11 rack. There is a noise gate inside the 11 rack and it's fine for most things, but I"ve found that using one before the 11 for finer control works great while using the internal one for broader adjustments.

I"ve tried several anti noise solutions and the only one I have kept is the MXR SMART GATE. It's got very fine controls and is the best noise gate I've yet tried. As I always say, your mileage may vary but I"d suggest looking at one smile.gif

I've never tried one in the loop though.

Here is a vid about the smart gate. I'd suggest avoiding the rocktron products for noise suppression as I've tried several and none had the control or power to work properly especially under high gain conditions. The rocktron HUSH products have been meh IMHO. Also, skip the ISP dedimator IMHO, as it just didn't have fine controls at all.

I've heard good things about the boss unit but I found the mxr before trying one out.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 10 2014, 10:03 PM) *
Thanks Todd!

I have run into another slight problem.

I bought a beautiful Classic 50s Series strat with old school style single coils.

The problem is the noise. I mean even the slightest amount of gain and the 60 cycle kicks in, regardless of the selector position - the pickups sound great and I'd rather not swap them out which brings me to my question:

Have you tried running a noise suppressor into the fx loop of the eleven rack?

I was thinking of getting a Boss NS-2 to tame the hum. The guitar sounds amazing when I kick the overdrive on in the eleven rack but I'd rather not have to listen to the hum in between my blues licks tongue.gif

Spanx!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 12 2014, 02:07 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2014, 05:36 AM
!!!!STUDIO MONITORS!!!!

*What are "Studio Monitors"?
*Why do I need them?
*Etc!!!

Here are three of your best options for the price, compared in one vid smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 12 2014, 05:40 AM

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 19 2014, 10:07 PM
Learning Roadie
WOW! Thanks Todd!

This really cleared up the questions I had with why studio monitors instead of headphones (other than going deaf with headphones tongue.gif )

What is your opinion on these?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR305

They're 5 inch (I have a small room), and the reviews seem pretty solid. A pair of those fit right into my budget.

EDIT:

So I downloaded some new plugins for REAPER to try and experiment and I came up with this:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/city-lights-idea

The problem is that I have all the tracks set to fade out, but the synth and midi drums don't fade out at the end. Do you have any idea why this may be?

Thanks Toddinator!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Nov 20 2014, 06:58 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 22 2014, 12:20 AM
Those JBL speakers are a GREAT choice!! The 5 inch should be more than enough smile.gif I've listened to your REAPER work (well done on getting it going!) and you are well on your way to being a home recordist extraordinaire smile.gif Just like guitar practice makes perfect so record every day!

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 19 2014, 05:07 PM) *
WOW! Thanks Todd!

This really cleared up the questions I had with why studio monitors instead of headphones (other than going deaf with headphones tongue.gif )

What is your opinion on these?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR305

They're 5 inch (I have a small room), and the reviews seem pretty solid. A pair of those fit right into my budget.

EDIT:

So I downloaded some new plugins for REAPER to try and experiment and I came up with this:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/city-lights-idea

The problem is that I have all the tracks set to fade out, but the synth and midi drums don't fade out at the end. Do you have any idea why this may be?

Thanks Toddinator!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 22 2014, 12:57 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Todd!

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading through some threads here to get some tips.

On the City lights track I just posted, there is a synth string VSTi and a synth drum VSTi that I use.

I set both of those tracks to fade out but when you listen to the track everything fades out but it sounds like those two tracks won't fade out - so while the guitar and everything is slowly fading out the synth drums and synth strings stay at a consistent level, do you have any ideas why this may be?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2014, 03:51 PM
I'll give it a listen. You should be able to fade the midi tracks as well smile.gif Can you zip up the entire project and share it via drop box and I"ll take a look?

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 21 2014, 07:57 PM) *
Thanks Todd!

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading through some threads here to get some tips.

On the City lights track I just posted, there is a synth string VSTi and a synth drum VSTi that I use.

I set both of those tracks to fade out but when you listen to the track everything fades out but it sounds like those two tracks won't fade out - so while the guitar and everything is slowly fading out the synth drums and synth strings stay at a consistent level, do you have any ideas why this may be?

Thanks!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:29 PM