3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Advanced Bushido Task 2
Ben Higgins
Feb 1 2012, 11:07 AM
Instructor
Task 2 : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killer...kk-Wylde-Style/

Record and upload your version of this lesson by Wednesday 8th Feb or I'll come round your house and burn one of your guitars. smile.gif

You're getting a break from stretchy chord shapes (because I'm so nice) and you're diving into pentatonic shred world. These shapes are very useful and can be moved all over the neck, as you can see from the video.

Now, because you're in the lonely, cold group of advanced I am expecting you to get somewhere close to the tempo of 170bpm. By close I mean 150 and over. If you can manage 170 then that's great but it's not necessary. (150 is not really mandatory but it gives you something to aim at, and aim over..) smile.gif

If you're good at picking 3 note per strings shapes then you'll notice that these types of licks feel totally different. They make use of 'outside picking' and the 2 note per string shapes mean you are crossing strings more often, which burns more energy...

So, drink plenty of water. Avoid the coffee (during guitar time). Eat well. Take breaks.

But first, join the rest of the disciples for morning exercise in the main hall of the Temple.....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 1 2012, 11:22 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Damn Sifu... Panda can be dragon warrior only in 3D movies. This is torture.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 1 2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 1 2012, 10:22 AM) *
Damn Sifu... Panda can be dragon warrior only in 3D movies. This is torture.

biggrin.gif

The iron ore feels itself needlessly tortured as it goes through the furnace. The tempered blade looks back and knows better.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 1 2012, 03:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
At first I was AWW YEAH PENTATONICS!

Now I am just...

But I'll not disapopint you Master, I will get this done! mad.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 1 2012, 03:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 1 2012, 11:10 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 1 2012, 05:26 AM) *
At first I was AWW YEAH PENTATONICS!

Now I am just...

But I'll not disapopint you Master, I will get this done! mad.gif

Hahahhaa +1 !!! I am pretty good at penta's but this is pretty wild alternate picked , I have to say If I was learning this as part of a song I would cut the picking in half and do alot of pulloffs tongue.gif call me lazy I guess but I am always looking for an easier way.My legato basically came to be what its is from cheating like that biggrin.gif
PS: It is kind of hard to hear what this guy is doing on this lesson because he is kind of burried in the mix so I'll rely on the tab and the breakdowns of all the parts I guess.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 2 2012, 02:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
forgive ,please sen-say, am still struggling with pentatonic s back from your chat a few weeks back
and have been so focused there, that now my three nps have slowed
I have no video, but will see if I can try an audio
am prepared for tungue push ups for lack of video

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 2 2012, 10:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 1 2012, 10:10 PM) *
PS: It is kind of hard to hear what this guy is doing on this lesson because he is kind of burried in the mix so I'll rely on the tab and the breakdowns of all the parts I guess.

Yes, very true.. you'll manage the lesson though, I have every faith ! ph34r.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 2 2012, 01:04 AM) *
forgive ,please sen-say, am still struggling with pentatonic s back from your chat a few weeks back
and have been so focused there, that now my three nps have slowed
I have no video, but will see if I can try an audio
am prepared for tungue push ups for lack of video

I'm almost thinking you actually want to do tongue pushups...... it will be on ice, don't forget. We may encounter a 'Dumb & Dumber' situation.. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 2 2012, 11:13 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Yeah after giving this a go for a while I have come to the conclusion that this is a very good excersize. Ivan's video chat lessons have been doing some excersizes very similar to this. Unfortunately for me I miss most of them because I dont always get up early enough on a sunday morning.But yeah I digest laugh.gif I kind of like the way this excersize is put together using all the patterns on sets of 2 strings going down then up then back down the neck again each time on a diff string set. Pretty cool Task Master Higgins! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 2 2012, 11:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 2 2012, 10:13 AM) *
Yeah after giving this a go for a while I have come to the conclusion that this is a very good excersize. Ivan's video chat lessons have been doing some excersizes very similar to this. Unfortunately for me I miss most of them because I dont always get up early enough on a sunday morning.But yeah I digest laugh.gif I kind of like the way this excersize is put together using all the patterns on sets of 2 strings going down then up then back down the neck again each time on a diff string set. Pretty cool Task Master Higgins! smile.gif

The Sensei knows what you need before you even know it yourself, warrior-in-training. Your increased guitar prowess is my mission here at The Temple ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 2 2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I can now do it in 120bpm. This is tough, very tough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 3 2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
My problem master: This takes too much stamina. As I play along when I reach the hight fret, my pick moves in and I can no longer pick properly. I used to change it whenever there was a "stop" in a solo. This is uniform and I can't do that (relax my right hand for a bit). What should I do to overcome this? I suffer with this even at 120bpm, can't even imagine to higher ones. I had this problem before as well and its back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 3 2012, 05:15 AM) *
My problem master: This takes too much stamina. As I play along when I reach the hight fret, my pick moves in and I can no longer pick properly. I used to change it whenever there was a "stop" in a solo. This is uniform and I can't do that (relax my right hand for a bit). What should I do to overcome this? I suffer with this even at 120bpm, can't even imagine to higher ones. I had this problem before as well and its back.

Hey Chandra, I think I know what you mean. You mean that the pick is moving between your fingers ? I used to get this too when picking for longer periods of time. What helped me was this:

I would forget about the left hand and just pick one note so I could concentrate only on speed picking. I noticed that as I tried higher speeds, my pick would start with just the tip hitting the strings but then as I tried to go faster it would slip down and more of the pick would hit the strings, slowing me down and making the front of the pick move outwards so I was almost playing with the side of the pick - very annoying. mad.gif

So I concentrated all my attention on keeping the tip of the pick on the string and not letting it dig in too much. As you go faster, the harder it gets and it will try to make you take bigger pick strokes but you have to resist it and keep concentrating on the tip of the pick being on the string. So you've got to imagine that even though the speed is increasing, the movements are still staying small and not moving out in a bigger picking motion. This will take time to develop, but even a few days will bring great results if you try this. If you can make this improvement on just basic up/down alternating speed and maintain your picking position, then this will help you with picking anything.

As you do it, look at the pick as well because it will make it easier to keep the tip of the pick where you want it. As soon as I started doing this, I noticed massive improvements. Find a tempo that is challenging enough for you to play it and see how long you can maintain the picking for.. do it in bursts (for a couple of bars for example or until you lose the flow) and gradually try to add more pick strokes to it. If you do this every day in your practice routine, soon you'll increase your picking speed.

I've always believed this and I always will: If you can pick constantly on one string with good technique at high speeds, then you've got everything you'll ever need. You've done the hardest part. Synching it up with licks is the fun part but you've got the speed sorted. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 3 2012, 10:53 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Ben.

I seem to keep my right hand relaxed so my grip is kinda little loose. As there is a long picking going on, in each hit to the string, the pick seems to go inside a bit and as I am into half of the lesson, a very small tip is left, at around the end, My thumb and index finger is picking.. lol. biggrin.gif

I am holding it tight but if I do that, my right hand becomes pretty rigid unable to pick at higher speeds. I will try one note trick and see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 3 2012, 09:53 AM) *
Thanks Ben.

I seem to keep my right hand relaxed so my grip is kinda little loose. As there is a long picking going on, in each hit to the string, the pick seems to go inside a bit and as I am into half of the lesson, a very small tip is left, at around the end, My thumb and index finger is picking.. lol. biggrin.gif

I am holding it tight but if I do that, my right hand becomes pretty rigid unable to pick at higher speeds. I will try one note trick and see.

Yeah that's very similar to what happened to me. I held it very loose and the pick moved. By concentrating on the tip and the string, my grip automatically tightens a bit when I speed up but the pick stays where it is which is great. I think it's ok to grip it a bit tighter as long as our overall picking action doesn't change and start coming from the elbow or something like that.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 3 2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Cool, will practice. This is a very tough lesson and although might not be doable this early, it has at least figured out my age old problem of speed picking. Hopefully by the end of the week, I can pick better and longer. smile.gif Thanks Ben.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 12:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 3 2012, 10:47 AM) *
Cool, will practice. This is a very tough lesson and although might not be doable this early, it has at least figured out my age old problem of speed picking. Hopefully by the end of the week, I can pick better and longer. smile.gif Thanks Ben.

Don't worry too much about the tempo either. Even if you only make a 5bpm improvement during a week, that's a great result ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Feb 3 2012, 11:37 PM
GMC:er
My problem is also right hand stamina. At first I can pick normally, but with time my hand tenses up and I start missing notes. I've noticed that my arm gradually detaches itself from guitar body and the wrist angle changes. Then the wrist locks up and elbow performs most of the picking. This has to do with lots of string changing, as this problem is much less pronounced in 3nps picking. I'm going to learn this piece to the end and see at what tempo I can play it cleanly smile.gif.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 4 2012, 05:25 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi Nimrandir,

I was searching about picking issues I had in YouTube. I didn't find any videos that explained exactly but I found an interesting video. I did watch this before too but never cared about the up/down motion on the whole arm. It might help you if you are pivoting the pinky or wrist on the guitar. He shows how to move up and down so the pick angle is always same and you can pick efficiently. I also seem to pivot my wrist and I tried this and it feels uneasy. I am learning that. Just posting so it might help you too. Jump to minute 4 or around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 5 2012, 04:50 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Progress: More or less able to do at 130bpm. Picking hand is better. smile.gif Theres just one part on the lower strings where I am trying both ring/index and pinky/index and not feeling that comfortable. Need to practice more. Will update soon, hopefully I can do 150. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 5 2012, 09:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 5 2012, 03:50 AM) *
Progress: More or less able to do at 130bpm. Picking hand is better. smile.gif Theres just one part on the lower strings where I am trying both ring/index and pinky/index and not feeling that comfortable. Need to practice more. Will update soon, hopefully I can do 150. smile.gif

That's good to hear Chandra smile.gif

With licks that these, it's surprising how much our fretting hand can hold us back. It's quite easy to get a lot of speed with licks that use 3 notes per string, but when you're doing 2 notes per string and changing strings every 2 notes, the fingers get really tired don't they ?

It may also hep you to do a few speed bursts at higher speeds. Maybe put the metro' at about 140bpm and see if you can put 2 reps together then stop. Then try it again and stop. This will be good for the fretting hand as well as the picking hand. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:46 PM