Vibrato
timrobwall
Feb 23 2013, 12:07 AM
GMC:er
Ben -- help me on vibrato technique -- especially w/ the index finger. Do you grab the string with the side of the index? How do you control pitch? Any exercises? Do you have lessons on this? Thanks. Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 23 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (timrobwall @ Feb 22 2013, 11:07 PM) *
Ben -- help me on vibrato technique -- especially w/ the index finger. Do you grab the string with the side of the index? How do you control pitch? Any exercises? Do you have lessons on this? Thanks. Tim

Hi Tim. When doing vibrato with the index finger I revert to the regular sidweays up/down type vibrato. So, regardless of the angle your finger is at when you fret the note, you can still change the angle for vibrato.

Not sure if you've seen this vid but (I'm quite sure if my memory serves me correctly) I explain these points in the video, including how to treat vibrato like a series of string bends so you can practise pitch control :

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Feb 23 2013, 11:48 PM
QUOTE (timrobwall @ Feb 22 2013, 11:07 PM) *

Thanks Ben. One quick last question: for some reason i typically bend up, not down - and tend to play vibrato that way. Most players, like you, seem to bend down. Does it make a difference?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2013, 10:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (timrobwall @ Feb 23 2013, 10:48 PM) *
Thanks Ben. One quick last question: for some reason i typically bend up, not down - and tend to play vibrato that way. Most players, like you, seem to bend down. Does it make a difference?

I prefer bending down on all strings except B and high E because I believe it gives greater control and stability. The B & high E strings don't allow such flexability which is why guitarists tend to use an upward motion for those strings. Hope that clarifies it smile.gif

+Quote Post
timrobwall
Feb 24 2013, 09:33 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 24 2013, 09:18 AM) *
I prefer bending down on all strings except B and high E because I believe it gives greater control and stability. The B & high E strings don't allow such flexability which is why guitarists tend to use an upward motion for those strings. Hope that clarifies it smile.gif

Yes it does. I'll experiment. Thanks again. Best of luck with your music!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:25 PM