> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Mtp December Thread - Zion
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2009, 09:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 14 2009, 04:30 PM) *
glad to hear it.. smile.gif

It is actually my daughters 1st birthday today although we held it yesterday.. I think i am getting sick now.. Today have been just awful in regards to that.. Funny thing is, after playing a while i dont feel that sick.. maybe it's just because my mind is somewhere else..

anyways, i am still planning on doing the video on wednesday.. it just all depends on how sick i am getting..

edit: wow.. i can really feel my bending getting better or my fingers getting stronger.. whatever the case.. i like it a lot.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the report! I'm really glad to know that this MTP is really helping to develop your technique! I hope that you feel better soon.
Keep on working hard! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 16 2009, 07:35 PM
Learning Roadie
This weeks video

Made a couple of mistakes, but my fingers were getting numb and this was the best take.. Like mentioned earlier i can really feel my bending getting a lot better.. which is great..

hope you like it..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2009, 05:16 AM
Instructor
Hello Zion! I'm very proud of you! I really note that you are taking this seriously and that you are working hard on your assignments. Your bends are becoming better week by week. I note that you are improving your playing. You fingers look more relaxed when you bend now. However you still have intonation problems in some of the bends. I need to know if you note this... I mean if you can listen which ones are the correct and which ones are out of pitch. This would be the first step to work on it.
BTW you did a very good job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 17 2009, 03:16 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 17 2009, 05:16 AM) *
Hello Zion! I'm very proud of you! I really note that you are taking this seriously and that you are working hard on your assignments. Your bends are becoming better week by week. I note that you are improving your playing. You fingers look more relaxed when you bend now. However you still have intonation problems in some of the bends. I need to know if you note this... I mean if you can listen which ones are the correct and which ones are out of pitch. This would be the first step to work on it.
BTW you did a very good job! smile.gif

just had a listen through the video and these are the bends i find that are out of tune.. this is just by listening and i have no way to check if it's correct at the moment..

0:28 in the beginning
0:55 is a bit out
0:57 is going a bit high
0:59 is a bit off as well
and i guess all of the bends with the double strings in the end is a bit off.. I cant hear whether or not the single-step bends are off.. the first one i think is a bit off, the other i cant hear so good because i accidently hit another string..

other than that I am glad you liked the lesson, and yes.. i am taking it very seriously.. It's really awesome to have someone to deliver some "homework" to.. it's a good way for me to keep going..

Overall, I am very pleased with my progress this week.. It's been quite a while since I have been able to notice a difference in my playing, but this week I could really really feel it in my fingers.. It's great, and although I am not quite there yet, i am getting one step closer..

I will try and keep this lesson in my practice session, although not as intense as this week.. but i guess it all depends on what you throw at me next.. Looking forward to it.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all your help so far.. it's awesome.. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 17 2009, 03:17 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2009, 05:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 17 2009, 11:16 AM) *
just had a listen through the video and these are the bends i find that are out of tune.. this is just by listening and i have no way to check if it's correct at the moment..

0:28 in the beginning
0:55 is a bit out
0:57 is going a bit high
0:59 is a bit off as well
and i guess all of the bends with the double strings in the end is a bit off.. I cant hear whether or not the single-step bends are off.. the first one i think is a bit off, the other i cant hear so good because i accidently hit another string..

other than that I am glad you liked the lesson, and yes.. i am taking it very seriously.. It's really awesome to have someone to deliver some "homework" to.. it's a good way for me to keep going..

Overall, I am very pleased with my progress this week.. It's been quite a while since I have been able to notice a difference in my playing, but this week I could really really feel it in my fingers.. It's great, and although I am not quite there yet, i am getting one step closer..

I will try and keep this lesson in my practice session, although not as intense as this week.. but i guess it all depends on what you throw at me next.. Looking forward to it.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all your help so far.. it's awesome.. biggrin.gif

Perfect! You are really hearing the wrong bends! That's a very important thing because you don't hear it you can't fix it. I'll be back with the new assignment. ;)

Well Zion! This is Assignment 3. This time we will work on another aspect that you said that you wanted to improve. I'm talking about your picking speed. I my own experience I can say that the repetitive exercises and the scale patterns are the most effective ways to improve your speed.
For this assignment I'll give you two different alternate picking exercises. The first one combines two strings and must be played in every group of string. The second one is a pattern played over three notes per string positions. It combines 2, 4 and 6 strings and can be played in every position.
The idea of this exercise is to be played at the highest speed that you can without losing clarity and synchronization between both hands.

Attached File  Assignment_3.gp5 ( 5.68K ) Number of downloads: 88

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 20 2009, 10:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry for the lack of updates..

I have been working on the assignment, but i am finding it a bit difficult to really get startet and notice any improvements.. maybe i need some sort of goal from you like "try hitting 4 notes per beat @ 100bpm" or something like that.. maybe it's because i really dont know how fast i am now vs. where i should go.. also i have been away this weekend, so i guess it's just difficult for me to get startet.. it seems when doing lessons i have a starting point and an endpoint all laid out for me.. i dont have that here..

when am i fast.. i think i can do around 80 or 90 bpm now, but when is it considered to be slow speed, regular speed, fast speed, lightning fast and shredding into the other dimension speed?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 21 2009, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Hello Zion! I understand perfectly what you mean. This kind of lessons have an endless nature and that's something that we don't find in lessons where you have a determined tempo and way to play it. The idea of this exercise is to train you for more difficult (and faster) lessons. I'm not interested in receiving a faster than light entry for this week. The idea is that you practice this every day for around 30 minutes for some time (I've played the guitar for 16 years and I still practice this stuff). For this assignment I only need a take from you the faster than you can but played perfectly. Every note must sound clear and both hands must be perfectly synchronized.
You have to take this exercise as a bridge from your current level to a new level and not as a lesson that you'll finish at any time. Does this make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 21 2009, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
ya.. it makes perfect sense..
its just very difficult.. i guess this is an exercise in discipline a little..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 21 2009, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 21 2009, 09:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 21 2009, 03:42 PM) *
ya.. it makes perfect sense..
its just very difficult.. i guess this is an exercise in discipline a little..

yeah, it's difficult but a much more effective than only playing musical ideas (However both things are very important).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 23 2009, 10:05 PM
Learning Roadie
So here is this weeks assignment..

Like already mentioned earlier this was a bit hard, and today i was having a difficult time concentrating on the lesson..
I wanted to do a 2 notes per beat @ 150 bpm, but ended up doing 1 note per beat @ 300bpm.. And still i thought my timing was a bit off.. i wonder if i have a bit of latency?

Also for a lack of metronome, i did it with drums instead..

oh well. i hope you like..

i have to set some speed goals i think.. perhaps 4 notes per beat @ 80 bpm to begin with..

oh... Merry Christmas.. I hope you have a great day.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 23 2009, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 26 2009, 07:14 AM
Instructor
Well Zion! We definitely need to continue working on this technique! You must continue praciticng this every day as a part of your diary routine.

For the 4th assignment I'll give you a cool Bach piece called Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (arranged by Dave Celentano). This is a very good exercise for warming up and also to develop your Alternate picking technique. You have to use strictly alternate picking technique in the whole exercise!

Attached File  December_MTP_Zion.gp5 ( 2.29K ) Number of downloads: 90

We are in the last week of our MTP so remember to post the REC take too! You could record a new version of the lessons that you working during this week! Let me know which one you will choose.

Merry Christmas!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 28 2009, 09:55 AM
Learning Roadie
really cool bach piece.. I know the melody quite well, and now i can also play it.. biggrin.gif

I think i will do the rec with the D minor bending, but if i get the time i will try and make a video of your Velvet Revolver lesson as well..
Could be cool to have two lessons to chose from, or just post both on the rec..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 28 2009, 05:55 AM) *
really cool bach piece.. I know the melody quite well, and now i can also play it.. biggrin.gif

I think i will do the rec with the D minor bending, but if i get the time i will try and make a video of your Velvet Revolver lesson as well..
Could be cool to have two lessons to chose from, or just post both on the rec..

Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 30 2009, 10:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Okay.. so here are the videos for this week.. It's been a looooong evening of recording and editing..

First the Bach lesson.. I think I took around 2 million takes before getting to the end, so i decided to keep this one, even though there's a mistake at the end.. I was very pleased with it, until i saw that there are 3 or 4 places where i am "cheating" and not using alternate picking.. I didn't even notice it before..

Second video is the D Minor Bending video.. I decided to do this standing up, as there is a big difference between sitting down and standing up.. I could definately feel the difference, but overall i think my bending has improved a lot, although I make a mistake on the second double bend in the end (did that make sense?? oh well, you'll hear it)

Last, but not least, is your Velvet Revolver Style Lesson.. Also did this standing up.. man it was difficult.. but i think it was a pretty decent job.. I accidentally made some changes to your original lesson (the chords part) where I am strumming a bit instead of holding it.. I thought it sounded pretty okay, but I dont know if you "approve" of it or not..

Overall though, i definately feel that I have improved over the last month, and I want to thank you for guiding me in the right direction.. Thanks Champ.. It means a lot..

There is still some way to go, but I can definately feel and notice the differences that has happened the past month.. its great.. laugh.gif
Please let me know if any of the REC can be used in the REC or if i should do some new takes..

If i dont hear from you before, then Happy New Year.. May you come safely into the new year and lets keep on rocking into the next decade.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 31 2009, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Hi Zion! Thanks for your takes! Let's start with the comments! smile.gif

4th Assignment:
I like this take! smile.gif I also notice that you used sweep picking in some arpeggios. This is not a problem in a REAL music situation. There are different points of view about this. There are players (Steve Morse, John Petrucci) that prefer to play everything (or most of the times) with Alternate Picking while there are other players (Like Frank Gambale) that always cross strings with Sweep Picking. This last technique is also called Economy Picking (We'll work this later in our MTP).
However if you want to use this lesson as an AP training you should try to play everything with this technique. About your playing I will also like to add that you should try to move your right hand a bit less. This will allow you to play faster AP licks and ideas. I also think that you should try to play stronger with your pick.

Rec Takes:
It's very interesting to check these two takes and compare them to the previous takes. The main difference is in the Velvet Revolver take 2. There I can note that learning the Bending lesson has been very productive for your playing! The bending lesson is more like an etude and I think that you still need to work on it but it's amazing how your playing, mainly your bending and vibrato, has improved this month! smile.gif I would post the Velvet Revolver take for the REC program and when you do it we can finish our December MTP Program.

So thank you very much for taking this with compromise and for working hard on every assignment. smile.gif

Happy New Year!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 1 2010, 03:33 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 31 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Hi Zion! Thanks for your takes! Let's start with the comments! smile.gif

4th Assignment:
I like this take! smile.gif I also notice that you used sweep picking in some arpeggios. This is not a problem in a REAL music situation. There are different points of view about this. There are players (Steve Morse, John Petrucci) that prefer to play everything (or most of the times) with Alternate Picking while there are other players (Like Frank Gambale) that always cross strings with Sweep Picking. This last technique is also called Economy Picking (We'll work this later in our MTP).
However if you want to use this lesson as an AP training you should try to play everything with this technique. About your playing I will also like to add that you should try to move your right hand a bit less. This will allow you to play faster AP licks and ideas. I also think that you should try to play stronger with your pick.

I will continue to work on this one as a warm-up exercise, and try to focus on my right hand.. Have any ideas on how to do it?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 31 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Rec Takes:
It's very interesting to check these two takes and compare them to the previous takes. The main difference is in the Velvet Revolver take 2. There I can note that learning the Bending lesson has been very productive for your playing! The bending lesson is more like an etude and I think that you still need to work on it but it's amazing how your playing, mainly your bending and vibrato, has improved this month! smile.gif I would post the Velvet Revolver take for the REC program and when you do it we can finish our December MTP Program.

I am glad that you have noticed a difference just as i have.. it's really great.. I still feel i need some work, but it has definately improved.. I must say that I had my focus primarily on the bending lesson, so I hadn't really practiced the Velvet lesson that much.. Glad it turned out alright in this take..

I must also say that the velvet style has improved my playing as well.. You may not notice it, but i can definately feel the fast picking is getting easier and not so hard anymore.. I am not so tense anymore doing really fast down-picking.. which is great..

So thank you very much for taking this with compromise and for working hard on every assignment. smile.gif
Happy New Year!

No, Thank YOU very much.. It's been a REALLY great and productive month for me, and it's been quite a while since I noticed any improvements in my own playing.. This month I did, and it sure feels great.. Thanks for taking the time to guide me in the right direction..
it's awesome, and much appreciated..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 1 2010, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 1 2010, 11:33 AM) *
No, Thank YOU very much.. It's been a REALLY great and productive month for me, and it's been quite a while since I noticed any improvements in my own playing.. This month I did, and it sure feels great.. Thanks for taking the time to guide me in the right direction..
it's awesome, and much appreciated..

I'm really glad to read this and very proud of you! smile.gif

Regarding you right hand... Try to mode it the less possible when you are picking.

Check this video to see what I mean. However I don't mean that you have to play like him. All his technique is based on playing faster than light. But I think that this will let you visualize the idea. Pay attention to the faster licks.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 1 2010, 11:53 PM
Instructor
MTP DECEMBER FINISHED

4 weekly assinments complete
REC PROGRAM TAKE: HERE

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:00 PM