2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Advanced Task 7
Ben Higgins
Mar 29 2012, 10:59 AM
Instructor
Attention to the Advanced group ! Your time for Tasks has now resumed. So, no more hiding in the corner of the Temple... time to get those hands working again !

Task 7 : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato-3/

As you've seen from the other groups, it's legato time ! Now, you've got all the info in the lesson itself but I'm here if you need any help. this is all about increasing the agility and stamina of your fretting hand so it will take work and won't happen over night.

Now the nice bit is over...

You're the advanced group so I won't expect to hear any complaining that it's too hard. If it's too hard then there's always the intermediate group.. that's why I made 3 groups !

If you're thinking the Sensei is harsher than usual it's because he hasn't been getting enough donuts... ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

Now, make me proud and remind me why you are the advanced group !!

Deadline is next Thursday 5th April

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 30 2012, 02:30 PM
GMC:er
Just about got the notes down, now to injure myself wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 30 2012, 03:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Mar 30 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Just about got the notes down, now to injure myself wink.gif

That won't be necessary sir, I don't want no injuries !!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 30 2012, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 30 2012, 03:21 PM) *
That won't be necessary sir, I don't want no injuries !!! wink.gif

"I had to stop punching things"

Yeah, not so sure about that laugh.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 31 2012, 03:43 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Wow, this is a pretty darn stamina sucking lesson. Tried first part and I can't even do that part fully. smile.gif

Thanks for making this relive. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Cem
Mar 31 2012, 12:49 PM
Learning Tone Master

+Quote Post
dark dude
Mar 31 2012, 03:03 PM
laugh.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 3 2012, 05:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have exams right now so I won't have much time for guitar, but I am practicing these lessons. I don't think I'll make it to the full speed until the deadline, but when I do I'll post a video response. smile.gif

Damn... I thought legato was my greatest guitar strength and now I see it isn't much of a strength really sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 4 2012, 08:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Apr 3 2012, 04:46 PM) *
I have exams right now so I won't have much time for guitar, but I am practicing these lessons. I don't think I'll make it to the full speed until the deadline, but when I do I'll post a video response. smile.gif

Damn... I thought legato was my greatest guitar strength and now I see it isn't much of a strength really sad.gif

No worries Dinaga, it will be good to have your take whenever you can do it smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 4 2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I have been doing it. Yep, this one really takes everything. I am trying it at 100bpm and when I reach the end, my left arm dies. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 5 2012, 01:50 PM
Instructor
Hail, disciples of The Temple of Guitar Bushido.... how are thee ??

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 5 2012, 02:11 PM
Will be posting what I can muster later today smile.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 5 2012, 08:31 PM
My 7 days work, there are still improvements to be made:

No update on the Modal Madness task, I haven't had enough time to make progress on it this week.

This post has been edited by dark dude: Apr 5 2012, 08:33 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 6 2012, 03:27 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am nearly there. I am noticing that my pull offs are ok but hammer ons are little fast so theres inconsistency. Trying to slow down and learn.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 6 2012, 09:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Apr 5 2012, 08:31 PM) *
My 7 days work, there are still improvements to be made:

No update on the Modal Madness task, I haven't had enough time to make progress on it this week.

Hey, you're actually living up to your name on this video and looking very dark... ph34r.gif

That's a damn good show of stamina and dexterity right there.. I can tell you one main place where you're going slightly wrong though which will help you transform it. You're cutting the first note too short so it makes the second note of each sequence sound as if it's falling on the 1st beat each time, throwing the rest of the lick out and making it complete too early, do you hear what I mean by that ?

You've nailed the shapes.. just that pesky timing. Seriously, for a week's work - nice one wink.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Apr 6 2012, 03:27 AM) *
I am nearly there. I am noticing that my pull offs are ok but hammer ons are little fast so theres inconsistency. Trying to slow down and learn.

That's cool, Chandra, I hope it's going well. As always I look forward to your takes smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 6 2012, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 6 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Hey, you're actually living up to your name on this video and looking very dark... ph34r.gif

laugh.gif Here's a little fact, the darker the video is on these tasks, the more takes I've done, the more stressed I am tongue.gif
That's a damn good show of stamina and dexterity right there.. I can tell you one main place where you're going slightly wrong though which will help you transform it. You're cutting the first note too short so it makes the second note of each sequence sound as if it's falling on the 1st beat each time, throwing the rest of the lick out and making it complete too early, do you hear what I mean by that ?

First note is relatively too short, okay, will work on that, cheers.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 13 2012, 12:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Dark dude, that was a blastin' take! Congrats mate! smile.gif

I'm returning to this one as my exams will be over tomorrow, can't wait to finish this lesson. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 14 2012, 09:39 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am at this point where no matter how much you practice it never seems to improve. Heres a sloppy take:

I really need some tricks to really improve and be able to play it smoothly. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 14 2012, 10:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Apr 14 2012, 09:39 AM) *
I am at this point where no matter how much you practice it never seems to improve. Heres a sloppy take:

I really need some tricks to really improve and be able to play it smoothly. sad.gif

Hi Chandra ! Ok.. when I'm feeling overwhelmed by a technique I will break it down to just a couple of things I can practise in isolation. If you're hitting a wall then there will always be a reason why. With this Task, it has to be because of your left hand articulation so we know where to focus on.. I would pick just a couple of shapes (or all of them if you wish) and just cycle them in one location without changing strings. Just focus on the timing of the fingers and the cleanliness of the notes.

I would either set yourself a number of reps for each shape and have 3 sets of reps with a rest in between. Or set up your metronome and do the shape constantly for 30 seconds or 60 seconds, rest then do 3 of that.

Whichever helps you to focus on quality repetition of these shapes. I would spend as long as I needed to until I felt I had the motion comfortable before trying the whole thing again. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 14 2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I have done that for 2 weeks. smile.gif The thing is when I do it as a whole, the fingers get numb and doesn't move.. I am sitting and practicing just one position time and often so I can't really say I haven't practiced much. When I slow it down, I can hear the notes clean and when I do it at speed, it sucks. I was thinking of recording 3-4 days ago but gave enough time so I could do a better take but as you can see, it hasn't improved much which gets frustrating.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:32 AM