2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Interface Advice Re-visited.
Phil66
Aug 7 2015, 08:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd, I think you may have cracked it smile.gif

Do you think that if I kept the VS 20 it would conflict with the GT001? Just trying to keep options open wink.gif

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 7 2015, 09:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2015, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
As long as you only used one of them for the interface it would be fine smile.gif You'd need to run out of the GT001 with two guitar cables for stereo in to the VS20. You can't use them both via usb as far as I know.

The little usb fader control would replace the VS20 for faders and the GT001 would be your interface in the method I'm describing. So in that setup, the vs20 is gone.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2015, 03:57 PM) *
Thanks Todd, I think you may have cracked it smile.gif

Do you think that if I kept the VS 20 it would conflict with the GT001? Just trying to keep options open wink.gif

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 8 2015, 07:29 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 8 2015, 07:05 PM) *
As long as you only used one of them for the interface it would be fine smile.gif You'd need to run out of the GT001 with two guitar cables for stereo in to the VS20. You can't use them both via usb as far as I know.

The little usb fader control would replace the VS20 for faders and the GT001 would be your interface in the method I'm describing. So in that setup, the vs20 is gone.

Thanks, I'm going for it. ME80 on eBay this weekend wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2015, 09:25 PM
Can anyone explain to me what he is doing here from the 2:00 mark please. I kind of get it but don't, if you know what I mean rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2015, 11:07 PM
Did you mean to embed a vid? I don't see anything?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 9 2015, 04:25 PM) *
Can anyone explain to me what he is doing here from the 2:00 mark please. I kind of get it but don't, if you know what I mean rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2015, 08:01 AM
Oooooops rolleyes.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2015, 08:13 AM
Hmm. What the heck software package is he using? Never seen any of it before. sad.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2015, 03:01 AM) *
Oooooops rolleyes.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2015, 08:18 AM
I don't know. It looks like he is recording track one to track two while he is tweaking the sound. I can't see why you would do it like that but I'm a newbie when it comes to DAWs.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 10 2015, 09:20 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2015, 07:18 AM) *
I don't know. It looks like he is recording track one to track two while he is tweaking the sound. I can't see why you would do it like that but I'm a newbie when it comes to DAWs.

Cheers

You're correct. If it was software, all you'd do is duplicate the track and plug-ins then change the settings on the new channel. Since this is hardware he has to record it through the processor again.

It's a popular approach to mix the same source of audio with 2 different sounds to get a new tone, some players use 2 amps on stage to do this live.

If the guitar player had 1 combo, I'd record him/her with multiple mic.s. Then start listening through the first mic., trying to find the sweetspot by decreasing the first mic.s level and increasing the second mic. etc...Helps not needing to use eq's etc. while mixing and get the most organic tone possible.

This blending can have no limit for hardware, different heads or cab.s can be used too. Not many artists use more then 2 amp heads though, different cab.s or mic.s are prefered for this tone approach.

PS; To have an even bigger sound, often we let the artist player over his previous recording again. Since he's not a machine and can't have perfect timing, the small differences in playing+tone combine help achieving a bigger sound to the song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 10 2015, 02:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
He's playing the dry signal track 1 back out through the processor and recording the wet processed signal on track 2. This is what I described doing before.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2015, 02:41 PM
Cheers Brian,

I'll look into that when I get my GT001 wink.gif

I couldn't see how he was doing it because when I use my ME80 the effected signal goes into the DAW and I don't get a dry signal.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 10 2015, 02:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 10 2015, 04:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 10 2015, 09:20 AM) *
PS; To have an even bigger sound, often we let the artist player over his previous recording again. Since he's not a machine and can't have perfect timing, the small differences in playing+tone combine help achieving a bigger sound to the song.

would you pan one of those tracks left and the other right or do they get mixed another way?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 10 2015, 06:12 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 10 2015, 03:18 PM) *
would you pan one of those tracks left and the other right or do they get mixed another way?

There are no hard rules in mixing but pan both left, duplicate tracks then pan those new tracks right can work.

Almost all vocal tracks on hit pop songs are doubled like this and stay right at the center of mix, it feels like there is only one track of vocal but when listened critically one might notice the details.

Best you can do is place a track you want to explore on a DAW, then open this plug-in; http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

When focusing on certain areas (with the help of such plug-in), one can discover a lot of what mixing technique's are used if he/she's familiar with the process.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2015, 07:45 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 6 2015, 06:15 PM) *
To use the ME-80 as your interface, just plug the USB jack in to your computer and BAM instant interface smile.gif No other gear required.

[attachment=42623:me_80_back_gal.jpg]

How do I do this? I have just tried but can't get any sound. Someone is asking on Ebay how to get sound if he plugs it into his laptop. I've just tried with Reaper but couldn't get any sound, changed audio devices in Reaper and Windows but nothing.

Cheers

IGNORE THIS. Lead wasn't plugged into guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 10 2015, 08:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 10 2015, 09:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 10 2015, 06:12 PM) *
There are no hard rules in mixing but pan both left, duplicate tracks then pan those new tracks right can work.

Almost all vocal tracks on hit pop songs are doubled like this and stay right at the center of mix, it feels like there is only one track of vocal but when listened critically one might notice the details.

Best you can do is place a track you want to explore on a DAW, then open this plug-in; http://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/

When focusing on certain areas (with the help of such plug-in), one can discover a lot of what mixing technique's are used if he/she's familiar with the process.

thanks dude, Im gonna try panning that guitar tracks like that and I'll check out the plugin smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2015, 07:45 PM) *
IGNORE THIS. Lead wasn't plugged into guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif That is awesome! LOL

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 11 2015, 05:06 AM
The Eleven Rack outputs 4 tracks via usb. One of them is entirely Dry. It's very handy for reamping with plugins later one. It will record a stereo effected track on a separate track at the same time. It's very handy to have a dry track to work with with. I think the GT001 will do this? if so, when you record with it, always have a dry track as part of your basic project template in your daw. That way you can always put whatever plugin you like on it and/or leave it dry and mix it in to your overall mix. This is an old trick that Yngwie used to do in order to keep very click pick strike sounds.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 10 2015, 02:45 PM) *
How do I do this? I have just tried but can't get any sound. Someone is asking on Ebay how to get sound if he plugs it into his laptop. I've just tried with Reaper but couldn't get any sound, changed audio devices in Reaper and Windows but nothing.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2015, 07:35 PM
WOW!

My ME-80 has just sold on Ebay for £191, they are only £215 new, ok I sold it with a mains PSU that doesn't come standard but that only cost me £5.

GT001 is now ordered. smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 16 2015, 08:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2015, 09:37 PM
Super congrats smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2015, 02:35 PM) *
WOW!

My ME-80 has just sold on Ebay for £191, they are only £215 new, ok I sold it with a mains PSU that doesn't come standard but that only cost me £5.

GT001 is now ordered. smile.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2015, 08:06 PM
Don't know if any of this is any good but this is what you get free with the Korg Nano Kontrol 2.

Any ideas????

I have to say, with the Mackie Control Kline it works seamlessly with Reaper. I haven't had to remap anything, at the moment it's to my liking. Now just to learn how to use Reaper and the GT-001 smile.gif

Thanks for all of your help everyone cool.gif I am one happy bunny with this setup. I don't care if people say the amp sims are no good, I just care if I like the sound or not. I mean to me I don't mind if they aren't authentic so long as they are sweet to my ears. Unfortunately I think I will be wasting many hours for a couple of days playing with my new toys laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 19 2015, 08:31 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2015, 05:32 PM
I've been impressed with the KORG products and I'm always impressed with anything FREE smile.gif I don't have personal experience with these software bits but for free it's worth a try : )

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:22 AM