Help With A Zz Top Lesson
waggers
Mar 12 2012, 08:52 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I wonder if someone can help me. I'm trying this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...p-style-lesson/

There's a bit I just can't get on video number 5. The tab is this bit (from the bend at the 8th fret on the B string) :

---------------------------|------------------------------------------------|
-----------------------8b--|--L--------------------------------------------|
--7--5--7-----5~-----------|-----8pbr--7-5-----7p-5--------5--x\----|
--7--5--7-----5~-----------|------------------7-----------7--------------|
---------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|

I can't work out how to bend the B string at the 8th fret, then pre-bend and release the G string and play the 7th then 5th fret on the G strings.

If I try to set the markers on the video to show just that part the sound is OK but the video slows down too much and it gets out of sync if you see what I mean, which makes it very hard to work out what's going on.

Can anyone please try to explain how to play this ?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by waggers: Mar 12 2012, 08:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 12 2012, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (waggers @ Mar 12 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Hi

I wonder if someone can help me. I'm trying this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...p-style-lesson/

There's a bit I just can't get on video number 5. The tab is this bit (from the bend at the 8th fret on the B string) :

---------------------------|------------------------------------------------|
-----------------------8b--|--L--------------------------------------------|
--7--5--7-----5~-----------|-----8pbr--7-5-----7p-5--------5--x\----|
--7--5--7-----5~-----------|------------------7-----------7--------------|

I can't work out how to bend the B string at the 8th fret, then pre-bend and release the G string and play the 7th then 5th fret on the G strings.

If I try to set the markers on the video to show just that part the sound is OK but the video slows down too much and it gets out of sync if you see what I mean, which makes it very hard to work out what's going on.

Can anyone please try to explain how to play this ?

Thanks

A few watches later I have an idea. I am no vibrato/bend player, I bend with my finger *hides from Ben*. laugh.gif

I think he is bending a full step up on the B rolling the finger tip onto the G in a half step and bending it back down then middle finger to the 7th and index finger to the 5th.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Mar 12 2012, 09:33 PM
Instructor
Ok ,here it is : bend that B string (8fret) with the ring finger, but also bend G string (7 fret) with the middle finger -at the same time !
In this way is possible to play that pre-bending.In a normal tempo is clearly heard that double stop sound. Slow part is actually different,and that confuses you. You hear only one bending (B string), and after that comes pre-bending on a G string, which is at higher speeds a bit harder . wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
waggers
Mar 12 2012, 10:12 PM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Mar 12 2012, 08:33 PM) *
Ok ,here it is : bend that B string (8fret) with the ring finger, but also bend G string (7 fret) with the middle finger -at the same time !
In this way is possible to play that pre-bending.In a normal tempo is clearly heard that double stop sound. Slow part is actually different,and that confuses you. You hear only one bending (B string), and after that comes pre-bending on a G string, which is at higher speeds a bit harder . wink.gif

Thanks for your answers guys. Sinisa - the pre bend on the G string is the 7th fret then, not the 8th as the tab says. That's a bit sneaky smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Mar 12 2012, 10:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (waggers @ Mar 12 2012, 10:12 PM) *
Thanks for your answers guys. Sinisa - the pre bend on the G string is the 7th fret then, not the 8th as the tab says. That's a bit sneaky smile.gif

Yep, seems so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 13 2012, 10:36 AM
Instructor
There was recently another question about this technique but I can't remember the topic title so I can't find you my answer but it was the same type of deal except this time the bend coming down is on a different fret..

This is a very popular technique used in rock, blues and even metal and if you can incoprorate it into your playing it will be great ! smile.gif

When you bend up a string, we have to remember that, by default, we're also pushing up the string above that.. so we take advantage of that by rolling a fingertip over onto the string that is above the one we were originally fretting and then we pluck that string and release it down.

In this case, play the 8th fret with the ring finger as Sinisa said, and when the string is bent to its pitch, the G string will already be in a bent position for you.. so you have to use your 2nd finger to fret it and bring it down !

It takes a while to 'feel' it but it's worth doing ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Mar 13 2012, 10:36 AM

+Quote Post
waggers
Mar 14 2012, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 13 2012, 09:36 AM) *
There was recently another question about this technique but I can't remember the topic title so I can't find you my answer but it was the same type of deal except this time the bend coming down is on a different fret..

This is a very popular technique used in rock, blues and even metal and if you can incoprorate it into your playing it will be great ! smile.gif

When you bend up a string, we have to remember that, by default, we're also pushing up the string above that.. so we take advantage of that by rolling a fingertip over onto the string that is above the one we were originally fretting and then we pluck that string and release it down.

In this case, play the 8th fret with the ring finger as Sinisa said, and when the string is bent to its pitch, the G string will already be in a bent position for you.. so you have to use your 2nd finger to fret it and bring it down !

It takes a while to 'feel' it but it's worth doing ! smile.gif

Cheers Ben - I can't see that taking more than about 6 months to get right huh.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 14 2012, 03:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is a technique I have never been able to do but LOVE how it sounds when done right.

I've always tried it the way Ben mentioned, rolling the fingertip from one string to another and coming back down. My problem has always been the original string pops back down very violently and loudly, oh and also that the whole act of doing it feels extremely awkward and out of control for me.

I am going to try doing what Sinisa and Ben recommended and see if I can't finally master this. Ben and Sinisa, I think I see a new lesson in your futures (or maybe a quick little chat topic?). smile.gif

This post has been edited by gregc1: Mar 14 2012, 03:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 14 2012, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Mar 14 2012, 02:36 PM) *
This is a technique I have never been able to do but LOVE how it sounds when done right.

I've always tried it the way Ben mentioned, rolling the fingertip from one string to another and coming back down. My problem has always been the original string pops back down very violently and loudly, oh and also that the whole act of doing it feels extremely awkward and out of control for me.

I am going to try doing what Sinisa and Ben recommended and see if I can't finally master this. Ben and Sinisa, I think I see a new lesson in your futures (or maybe a quick little chat topic?). smile.gif

The idea is that you still keep hold of your original note & string (the B string, for example) as well as playing the string above. That's how you get that effect of the 2 notes blending in with each other, producing that kind of tortured blues sound ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Mar 14 2012, 04:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
You know what Ben, I know what you guys are talking about now (the tortured blues sound comment gave it away). This is also something I've wanted to learn how to do. Reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I guess I don't really know the proper term for what I was talking about. Say at the 12th fret, you bend up the B string then grab the G string while bent and then only let that one back down. Maybe it's called reverse bend? It has a real smooth sound to it but I can never get it to work right. I have to bend up the B string, kill the note while it's bent up, pre bend the G string then let it down. I hope this makes sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 14 2012, 05:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Mar 14 2012, 03:37 PM) *
You know what Ben, I know what you guys are talking about now (the tortured blues sound comment gave it away). This is also something I've wanted to learn how to do. Reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I guess I don't really know the proper term for what I was talking about. Say at the 12th fret, you bend up the B string then grab the G string while bent and then only let that one back down. Maybe it's called reverse bend? It has a real smooth sound to it but I can never get it to work right. I have to bend up the B string, kill the note while it's bent up, pre bend the G string then let it down. I hope this makes sense.

Yes it does make sense. I don't really play them like that so can't really help.. although just looking at my fingers performing the motions I'd say that if you were grabbing the G string on a different fret with your second finger, you could use the underside of your finger to fret over the B string and deaden it when you release the B string with your 3rd finger for example.

If the notes you wanted were on the same fret though, not sure !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:37 AM