8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Virtual Band - Moaning Lisa, Band number 5
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 03:46 AM
Learning Roadie
I thought maybe my problem was this one as I do get this error (only if I open tuxguitar first then try to open the file, which works but when I try to play it I get the error), but I did as it said, even reinstalled java and nothing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 21 2007, 10:05 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 21 2007, 02:46 AM) *
I thought maybe my problem was this one as I do get this error (only if I open tuxguitar first then try to open the file, which works but when I try to play it I get the error), but I did as it said, even reinstalled java and nothing.

I`ll have another look when I get in from work tonight m8 smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 10:07 AM
Learning Roadie
you could just get the GP5 demo from their site. it has some restrictions but atleast youll be able to look at the files.

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
AudunESP
Dec 21 2007, 04:03 PM
GMC:er
Ok, i have a question about where we're goin. are we just suposed to make a cover of gabes lesson as a start, and now brainstorm for next song, or are we aranging gabes lesson into a song or use it as a basic? huh.gif
If we're brainstorming for next song, i have to say i have made some heavily muse-inspired licks, which i think we might be able to use wink.gif

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 06:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Well I'm still thinking we can turn the lesson into a full song, a "cover" if you will, but since the lesson is only so long it'll be an "inspired/expanded cover" and theres lots of stuff we can add smile.gif

But keep those ideas around, who knows when we may want them smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 07:32 PM
Learning Roadie
any idea on a timescale? its good to set goals.

or are we just going to go with the flow and take it easy?

eithers good tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 08:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Well I was originally planning to have us all start recording after christmas (and I think some of us are still waiting on recording equipment) but that turned out not to be the case tongue.gif So eh, not at the moment for a timetable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joey
Dec 21 2007, 08:27 PM
GMC:er
hey JVM I'd definitely be interested in this for the future! biggrin.gif
and i can definitely say i fall in the beginner/intermediate alternate rock lover category haha

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Good to hear Joey, even though we have enough people it's always good to have interested people like you and fretdancer smile.gif

Okay guys, what I have here is a slightly updated drum track. I'm going to add some bass, but right now I can't really get a good recording tone for bass (quite a different beast than tone for guitar) so until I get something that sounds decent and, well.. bassy, I'll hold off.

So I guess, does anyone have any tips for bass recording tone?

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 09:47 PM
Learning Roadie
you have Line 6 software right? im sure theres bass presets for most things.
good place to start.

as for muse bass, id say a little fuzz or distortion (dont listen to muse alot so just guessing from what i have heard)

ooooor, you could just use midi bass. theres VST plugins (a bit like EZDrummer) for bass to (forgot the name)

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 10:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Eh, it all sounds really muted and bad to my ears. Here's the drum track, I'll experiment with bass some more when you have layed down the guitar and see if it sounds any better in the mix.

The way I have the drums set up is kind of meant for you to play through the lesson twice, at the silent part do what you did last time, but when the drums kick back in after the fill play the lesson one riff again and it should work out fine.. I think that'll be our verse, and then I want to experiment a little with some powerchords for a chorus (common muse thing), if not we can use the lesson four riff for the chorus.

So I think it'll be intro -> silent part -> verse -> chorus -> verse -> solo -> chorus -> big ending or something like that.

At least lets see how that sounds, but for now lets lay this down and I'll let you guys hear whatever I come up with for a chorus then we can decide.

Oh and audun, I think I'll use your riff for the acoustic on the solo part, but perhaps bass too, it's cool.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  musedrums3.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 163

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 10:39 PM
Learning Roadie
ok, just a quick clarification. you want me to play the lesson through twice?

and that drum track is the same as the old drum track from what i can tell :S

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 10:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, it's slightly different in the changes and a couple of rhythms, not in structure, I'd just like you to record again in the structure above. Sorry if I am being confusing in any way, I'm still getting used to this songmaking thing tongue.gif

But anyway yeah, you kind of are playing the lesson "twice" in that you'll end up playing through videos one and two again, but not exactly because I think that will be our verse riff. Also, lets hear it dry with no extra effects this time around.

I may end up having you record the thing three times and pan one left, one right and then phaser in the middle or something (as marcus seems to do, with the panning) cause I do think the phaser sounds pretty cool, but thats certainly not a requirement, and if we do it'll be after everything else is done (structure, solos etc) just to add a slight "polish" as a finishing touch if you know what I mean.

This post has been edited by JVM: Dec 21 2007, 10:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 11:03 PM
Learning Roadie
you mean like this?

(i used a different guitar for this recording so i can get used to the neck.)Attached File  munta_dry_2.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 197

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 11:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, perfect! Though now that I think about it, the drum change after the drum-in (where its beating kind of hard then changes back to a more laid back beat) might not sit perfectly well with the vocals, but It'll more than do for now.

So now what I'll do is see about adding a chorus, I'll just throw some stuff in there and put some drums to it, then we can see if we like it. If we do, the only thing left to decide for the drum/guitar part is the solo section, where I think I'll use one of audun's riffs on an acoustic. then if we like that we have ourselves a structure and we can move on to beginning to record vocals, lead stuff etc.

Good job wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 11:13 PM
Learning Roadie
sounds god to me, if you want to me to record/rerecord any guitars gimme a shout. ive got plenty of free time for the next few weeks tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 21 2007, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Take a listen to this song, this is kind of what I intend for a chorus, it goes from the riff into a powerchord thing, simple stuff but sounds pretty good IMO (unless you don't like muse biggrin.gif). Not that I'm trying to model our song after this one, but it's kind of similar.

[edit] Oh, by the way, can I get just the guitar for that? If you saved it that is, it'll just make my editing job a little easier but it's not necessary for you to record it again if not, since my little chorus experiment thing isn't going to be the final draft or anything so it can sound a little choppy.

This post has been edited by JVM: Dec 21 2007, 11:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 21 2007, 11:19 PM
Learning Roadie
that verses remind me of "like a stone - audioslave"
infact... the lyrics are pretty close to it too... and the post-chorus... hmmmm

if thats the kind of chorus your after i could do some good backing vocals for that. but only if the house is empty, im a loud singer tongue.gif

EDIT

i knew i forgot something!!! sorry, i didnt save it either.
ill remind myself next time.

This post has been edited by muntahunta: Dec 21 2007, 11:21 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 22 2007, 12:17 AM
Learning Roadie
ohmy.gif I just had the thought that some keyboards would go GREAT in the chorus, do you have any melodies in your head? I've been listening to some nirvana stuff also as related to the chorus, simple but good stuff.

Often times for a chorus (being the "sing-along" part) the vocal melodies take over the guitar part, so also another thought would be that since the chorus is kind of comparable to a vocalists "solo section" perhaps you guys should handle that melody? Just a thought. I can upload yet another drum track (kind of sloppily extended though) that continues onto the chorus which is just a very simple beat if you guys wanna mess around with it. Or I could upload a track without the sloppy edit, but it wouldn't have guitars.

This post has been edited by JVM: Dec 22 2007, 12:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 22 2007, 12:22 AM
Learning Roadie
i usually like to add keyboard last as most the time keyboards following the vocal like and blending with the guitar fills out the mix alot more and sounds awesome harmonizing tongue.gif

as for vocal melodies, we should wait for whatever guitar/bass parts are going in the chorus to be recorded and close to being finalized to get the right harmonies down.
but i think AudenESP should have the first say in vocal melody since he's gonna be doing lead vocals (or atleast thats the impression i got tongue.gif)
then we can have our opinions/changes afterwards tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:21 PM