Scaloped Fretboard
Braer
May 14 2009, 04:45 PM
GMC:er
What does people mean with Scaloped fretboard?

ye, im noob. i know

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Braer: May 14 2009, 04:46 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 14 2009, 04:51 PM
Learning Tone Guru
A scalloped fretboard is a fretboard that have the frets curved out so your finger doesn't get any contact with the wood, only the string. This allows better grip on the string and gives you more control over your vibrato. Some like and some doesn't like it. I haven't tried one yet so I don't know how it feels laugh.gif Marcus Lavendell has a scalloped fretboard, check his lessons to see how it looks smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
May 14 2009, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 14 2009, 05:05 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Braer @ May 14 2009, 05:54 PM) *

No problem smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 14 2009, 05:17 PM
We have cool article in wiki about that, you may have a look. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...loped_fretboard

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 14 2009, 06:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Here you go!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 14 2009, 10:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Yeah, that wiki article is pretty good - it should answer your initial question quite comprehensively. Although I've not played on a scalloped fretboard I have heard that they possess both advantages and disadvantages over normal fretboards - depends on style. They're great for those that require the feather touch response for greased lightning speeds, but not so brill for large bends and sustain - dunno I may be wrong. I figures that bending the string out of tune is likely if you press too firmly so I'd imagine you'd have to possess quite a lot of control with your fretting hand

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 14 2009, 10:08 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Artemus @ May 14 2009, 11:00 PM) *
They're great for those that require the feather touch response for greased lightning speeds, but not so brill for large bends and sustain - dunno I may be wrong. I figures that bending the string out of tune is likely if you press too firmly so I'd imagine you'd have to possess quite a lot of control with your fretting hand

I've heard the opposite laugh.gif laugh.gif Guess it's up to the player if it allows slower or faster playing and if the vibrato and bend control is improved smile.gif I believe you have to get used to it like everything else and only then you can judge if it's better or worse for you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
May 14 2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor
In my experience it has nothing to do with playing fast. It's just about getting a better grip of the string, which some think is good for the vibrato and bends, since there's no (or very little) resistance smile.gif

Another option is to put XJ frets on the neck, and it will have pretty much the same effect... but it won't look as cool of course biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 15 2009, 10:40 AM
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ May 14 2009, 11:36 PM) *
but it won't look as cool of course biggrin.gif

It's ALL about teh COOL!!!!!!
cool.gif cool.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 15 2009, 01:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ May 15 2009, 10:40 AM) *
It's ALL about teh COOL!!!!!!
cool.gif cool.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif Ain't that the truth wink.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 16 2009, 06:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Braer @ May 14 2009, 05:45 PM) *
What does people mean with Scaloped fretboard?

ye, im noob. i know

On the top of this screen there is this sign called WIKI. That thing gives you acces to a great bag full of information. Just search "scallop" in there and you'll find what it is!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:25 PM