Vibrator Question For Ben Higgins
maharzan
Jun 6 2010, 05:36 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi Ben,

I saw your new lesson (and welcome to GMC again). This lesson is fantastic mainly because this horizontal vibrato technique is something I never knew. smile.gif I have seen few other guitarists do it but I thought it was more like trilling or something. I tried to move my fingers horizontally, even tried without resting my thumb on the neck. While I can get the movement, the sound doesn't change a pitch.. Its just like one note is ringing and no vibrato. I have seen the videos and it looks like you are just moving your finger horizontally.. now whats the secret here? smile.gif

Can we go into more detail on how the actual fingers should be moved? Please help me understand this technique.

Thanks,
Chandra

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 6 2010, 09:14 AM
GMC:er
I can't tell you what I first thought when I read the subject of this post. I'm eager to see if the moderators change it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2010, 09:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 6 2010, 09:14 AM) *
I can't tell you what I first thought when I read the subject of this post. I'm eager to see if the moderators change it smile.gif

Me too, it certainly made me raise my eyebrow and wonder what sort of message I was giving off ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Jun 6 2010, 09:20 AM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 6 2010, 11:14 AM) *

At first I didnt think of that ohmy.gif I see you guys are familiar with this stuff laugh.gif Just kidding smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
zen
Jun 6 2010, 09:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
laugh.gif laugh.gif ... thats how we welcome new instructors to gmc

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2010, 09:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 6 2010, 05:36 AM) *
Hi Ben,

I saw your new lesson (and welcome to GMC again). This lesson is fantastic mainly because this horizontal vibrato technique is something I never knew. smile.gif I have seen few other guitarists do it but I thought it was more like trilling or something. I tried to move my fingers horizontally, even tried without resting my thumb on the neck. While I can get the movement, the sound doesn't change a pitch.. Its just like one note is ringing and no vibrato. I have seen the videos and it looks like you are just moving your finger horizontally.. now whats the secret here? smile.gif

Can we go into more detail on how the actual fingers should be moved? Please help me understand this technique.

Thanks,
Chandra

Hi Chandra,

First of all, thank you for your kind welcome and I'm really happy that you've shown an interest in this lesson.

Ok... I remember that I had the same sort of problem with this vibrato when I first tried it. The key here is pressure. To get the vibrato, you have to apply quite a lot of pressure.. more than you may first think.

When I do it, the force comes all the way from my elbow, through my forearm and hand... and then to the fingers. If you try moving the fingers on their own, then it probably won't do much. Also, the other important thing is to use your idle fingers (the ones that are not playing the note) to push against the finger that is on the note... this adds more strength and allows you to add more pressure.

Which fingers have you tried using to play the vibrato ? Try using your 3rd finger to play the note. Then use your 1st and 2nd finger to push against your 3rd finger. This means that your 3rd finger is not 'on its own'. You can combine the strength of more than one finger.

Ok.. so to recap... allow the force to come all the way through your arm and to your hand. Almost imagine that your arm is applying the vibrato.. and your fingers are just holding the string in place, and stopping it from escaping smile.gif

Don't worry if you have a little difficulty at first. It took me a while to be able to use this type of vibrato... so just experiment with adding more pressure and using the strength of your whole arm. Think of it as a combination of arm & fingers.. rather than wrist. The wrist doesn't really do much with classical vibrato. All the wrist needs to do is be a steady point between arm and fingers.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask again though if you'd like more help smile.gif

Take care and good luck

Ben

QUOTE (zen @ Jun 6 2010, 09:22 AM) *

Excellent... thank you wink.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 6 2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
OOOPs sorry guys.. that wasn't intentional.. I just saw it now LoL!...

Thanks Ben.. I have tried with all fingers (as you mentioned / pushing together with idle fingers). I will experiment with adding pressure and see how it comes out.. I guess thats the only thing I haven't tried. It does tend to cut the fingers (feeling) though.. like sliding your finger on a knife (at least the pinky finger on the 1st string. OUCH! )

Thanks again all.. I hope if someone searches for vibrator now on google, GMC is gonna get some traffic.. biggrin.gif

EDIT: OH YEA!! I hear it now.. cool.. that is quite an intensive pressure we need to apply.. hmm!! nice!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jun 6 2010, 09:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 6 2010, 10:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 6 2010, 10:01 AM) *
OOOPs sorry guys.. that wasn't intentional.. I just saw it now LoL!...

Thanks Ben.. I have tried with all fingers (as you mentioned / pushing together with idle fingers). I will experiment with adding pressure and see how it comes out.. I guess thats the only thing I haven't tried. It does tend to cut the fingers (feeling) though.. like sliding your finger on a knife (at least the pinky finger on the 1st string. OUCH! )

Thanks again all.. I hope if someone searches for vibrator now on google, GMC is gonna get some traffic.. biggrin.gif

EDIT: OH YEA!! I hear it now.. cool.. that is quite an intensive pressure we need to apply.. hmm!! nice!

Hi Chandra,

Haha... yes, regarding the accidental traffic.. maybe we should put that idea to Kris ? wink.gif

That's brilliant.. I'm really glad you've noticed a result. Yes, your fingertips are just not used to doing it yet.. but the skin will harden and you'll be a vibrato wizard in no time !! You'll really notice how it opens the door to adding more expression, especially on those higher notes on the 1st string which are difficult to add vibrato to.

Let me know how you progress... I'm always glad to help in any way !

Take care

Ben

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 6 2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Ben,

I will keep testing it and your lesson, lets see if I can get all that perfect. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 6 2010, 03:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 6 2010, 03:14 AM) *

+1 I hate to say I thought the same thing.

QUOTE (zen @ Jun 6 2010, 03:22 AM) *

laugh.gif hahaha

I think "Vibrato Question for Ben Higgins" would've been a better title! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 6 2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
haha.. the secret here is you must own one to give that lesson a try.. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 7 2010, 05:56 AM
in addition to pressure, I'd suggest another note: remove any of that RIDICULOUS fastfret stuff if you want this classical vibrato.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 7 2010, 05:58 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jun 7 2010, 08:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
I dont get this, was it a woman who started this thread???? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 8 2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
LoL Staffay! I bet you are jealous wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:30 PM