4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
The Best Guitar Tones Ever! (in Your Opinion)
Strungout180
Jul 6 2008, 07:23 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (chast @ Jul 6 2008, 02:21 PM) *
Oh, how could I forget Knopfler ? ohmy.gif

Probably the best ever imo, both his rhythm and lead tones are flawless and piercing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 6 2008, 07:34 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
How could i forget Marcus Lavendell. His tone is great. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 6 2008, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 6 2008, 07:34 PM) *

Yeah Marcus' tones are definitaly an inspiration when i come to make my own.

I've heard of Knopfler but haven't actually heard any of his stuff. Any notable tracks that should be checked out?

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 6 2008, 07:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Best Heavy Tones (riffing, shredding)

Morello
Jerry Cantrell
Andy Timmons (best "nice" rock-shred tone in my opinion, I always thought it was thomas blug or eric johnson, but in a side by side comparison timmon's tone comes out way ahead for me)
Iommi (how can you say its not amazing?! Iommi's tone is CRUSHING!)
Marty Friedman
Alex Skolnick

Best Clean to Crunch Tones

John Mayer
Gilmour
Ted Nugent
Dan Auerbach
Danny Gatton (possibly the best live tone ever. I heard one live record of his where the tone was just so fat, glassy, bright and smooth all at the same time, plus his playing is just superb... it was great)
George Benson
John Fogerty
Neil Young
John Frusciante
Knopfler

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 6 2008, 07:56 PM
Great list, JVM! biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 6 2008, 08:16 PM
Instructor
OMG this is a difficult one really, I love all the tones from famous guitar players, Hendrix, SRV, BB KIng, Moore, Santana, lots of other. I seem to like vintage natural sound more than synthetic rack sound.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 6 2008, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (chast @ Jul 6 2008, 08:21 PM) *
Oh, how could I forget Knopfler ? ohmy.gif

Knopfler is nice, but imo his tone isn't that unique? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by kjutte: Jul 6 2008, 08:18 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 6 2008, 08:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 6 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Knopfler is nice, but imo his tone isn't that unique?

I'd say it is through his style, the fact that he fingerpicks gives him a nice warmer strat sound, plus he makes good use of swells, etc.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 6 2008, 08:21 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 6 2008, 08:34 PM) *

Cool thing is that he just uses a PODxt.

QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 6 2008, 09:19 PM) *
I'd say it is through his style, the fact that he fingerpicks gives him a nice warmer strat sound, plus he makes good use of swells, etc.

Well, the way I'm thinking, tone is tone, not style tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 6 2008, 10:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 6 2008, 03:21 PM) *

True, but I'd say a pick is a gear choice. By not using a pick, another gear choice. Also making use of the volume knob or a volume pedal is another gear choice. IMO of course smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 6 2008, 10:17 PM
I agree with that to a certain extent however isn't that more how you choose to play the instrument?

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 7 2008, 01:33 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jul 6 2008, 05:17 PM) *
I agree with that to a certain extent however isn't that more how you choose to play the instrument?

Different picks result in different tones, without a doubt. Just in this case, substitute your fingers for the pick. I'd say fingers qualify as gear. Cheap gear biggrin.gif

I mean, without trying to write a scientific thesis on it, I'd say anything that you do outside of note and rhythm choice should qualify as gear, which then relates to tone. Using his volume knob is an effect, for sure. He also gets some fairly unique sounds other ways, such as the money for nothing riff tone, more going on there than simple tube overdrive. But in general I'd just say he has a nice crystal clear strat sound. Which may not be that unique but I think he's easily one of the best strat players tone wise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jul 7 2008, 04:30 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Jul 6 2008, 08:21 PM) *

Well if you don't like fusion and love metal.. You can't say that the metal guy has a better tone than the fusion guy. It all comes down to what they play really.. and what kind of playing you like better.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jul 7 2008, 04:30 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Jul 7 2008, 04:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
a couple super under rated tones , Andy Summers (the Police), Robert Fripp (King Crimson) and not so much under rated but worth a mention Jeff Beck and Jimmy Paige

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jul 7 2008, 08:13 AM
Theres too many..
Muris, lavendell, scott henderson, srv, mikael from opeth, david gilmoure, satriani, daniel from pain of salvation, daniel gottardo, but the most beautiful guitar tone in my opinion was produced by mark knopfler.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jul 7 2008, 12:19 PM
Hands down.. bar none.. ac/dc tone is the best... !!!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
steve25
Jul 7 2008, 05:29 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jul 7 2008, 12:19 PM) *
Hands down.. bar none.. ac/dc tone is the best... !!!

Hell no!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 7 2008, 06:02 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 6 2008, 02:34 PM) *

Marcus' tone is pretty badass. Noticed that recently myself.

I like tone a little wrecked. Stuff like what NIN does to their guitars. Ministry. Nirvana. Steve Albini.

Probably because I'll never have the kind of gear to get Jimmy Page's tone from Heartbreaker.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
peixe
Jul 7 2008, 06:41 PM
I think it's a crime not to mention Steve Morse, Mike Stern, Frank Gambale in this list biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
Jul 7 2008, 06:53 PM
John Petrucci live... The sound/tone of his... It was something so great I'm unable to describe it ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:27 PM