20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Project Quadrium Riff/lyric Ideas, share our riff/lyric ideas here
quadrium
Jan 8 2011, 03:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2011, 02:27 AM) *
Hey guys smile.gif I'm back in the saddle after nearly going under with the Flu. Uggh. Glad to be back smile.gif Looks like things are skipping along! We do need to figure out a rough structure. Lets get a rough idea on which licks are going to be played in what order. Which one is best for intro, verse, bridge, chorus etc. Part of song writing is of course taking the cool bits and putting them together in a cogent structure.

Gitarerro, Quadrium, using Guitar pro, or just making a recording, try to play the licks in a sequence that would work in terms of a song and then we can all have a listen. Once get a general idea, we can lay down the drum bits and play over it so it syncs up.

One thing that would help is if we could all use the same software so that we could send project files back and forth and not have to rebuild everything each time. From what I gather, REAPER, is the best way to go as it's cross platform and free to download. I don't use it but I"ll go get a copy and start working with it if we can all agree on using it. If there is another option, I'm open to that too.

Part of working remotely like this, is also about working out the production process. Once it's in place, things can move really quickly. But converting guitar pro, to midi, to wave, not having a time/metronome set to work with etc, is gonna slow things down a bit. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's a curve worth taking. Also, can you guys give me a breakdown of how you are recording? This is also a good chance to work on your studio skills.

Todd

good idea Todd.i will download the REAPER to work on my riffs.i normally use m-audio fast track usb soundcard and guitar rig 3 or pod farm 2 while i am recording.since my soundcard is broke now i am recording my stuff directly from the mic input of my laptop.so things go messy if i am recording distortion guitar currently but recording clean guitar is not a problem for me.so i can record the riff sequance with clean sound.and i can work on the reaper for some mix and then i can send you later.is that ok?

Dogukan,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2011, 05:32 AM
GMC:er
Sounds like a plan smile.gif I"m all for guitar modeling. Record clean and then use your guitar rig 3 patch if possible and I'll see if I can open it. I'm using guitar rig 4 so I'd like to see if I can open the 3 version preset.

Also, I did a quick recording with scratch drums of QUADRIUM IDEA 4. Take a listen smile.gif

Attached File  Quadrium4todd.mp3 ( 856.04K ) Number of downloads: 223

QUOTE (quadrium @ Jan 7 2011, 09:44 PM) *
good idea Todd.i will download the REAPER to work on my riffs.i normally use m-audio fast track usb soundcard and guitar rig 3 or pod farm 2 while i am recording.since my soundcard is broke now i am recording my stuff directly from the mic input of my laptop.so things go messy if i am recording distortion guitar currently but recording clean guitar is not a problem for me.so i can record the riff sequance with clean sound.and i can work on the reaper for some mix and then i can send you later.is that ok?

Dogukan,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 8 2011, 06:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
wow! sounds great smile.gif i got a plan about song structure i will record it and upload by tomorrow and will send you my gr presets:)

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 8 2011, 06:35 AM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 8 2011, 11:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Todd here is my structure idea.I'm uploading it as reaper project file.i copied gitarreo's riff that you have recorded as mp3 file to the project directly(i didn't have time to record it clean smile.gif ) and i added clean recordings of my riffs 2 and 3.hope you like my idea.there are 1 intro part,4 verses and 2 choruses on the project file, i couldn't find a proper rhythm for solo,so i didn't do the rhyhtm part behind the solo and the outro part.if you like the structure we can work on it smile.gif

Dogukan,

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 9 2011, 03:08 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  project_quadrium.rar ( 2.5K ) Number of downloads: 160

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 9 2011, 03:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
The files i've used in the project are in here.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  pqriffs.rar ( 5.06MB ) Number of downloads: 183

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2011, 07:36 PM
Nicely done putting it all together in reaper smile.gif I was able to open the project and see the structure.

I think the riff 3 lick is quite a bit out of tune though. Check it and let me know if that's intentional or if you just didn't tune up first. If it's a tuning issue, try to record that one again and repost the reaper file. I'll Add a midi drum track so that we have something underlying the riffs.

QUOTE (quadrium @ Jan 8 2011, 09:07 PM) *
The files i've used in the project are in here.

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 9 2011, 10:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 9 2011, 06:36 PM) *
Nicely done putting it all together in reaper smile.gif I was able to open the project and see the structure.

I think the riff 3 lick is quite a bit out of tune though. Check it and let me know if that's intentional or if you just didn't tune up first. If it's a tuning issue, try to record that one again and repost the reaper file. I'll Add a midi drum track so that we have something underlying the riffs.

Its not intentional sorry for that didn't check it before recording:)i will record and upload the project again:)By the way did you like the structure so far?

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 9 2011, 11:54 PM

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 10 2011, 03:53 AM
Yeah! I'm digging the structure smile.gif I think we have a cool tune in the works!

Todd
QUOTE (quadrium @ Jan 9 2011, 04:49 PM) *
Its not intentional sorry for that didn't check it before recording:)i will record and upload the project again:)By the way did you like the structure so far?

I got your note about having some gear issues in terms of recording. What is your recording setup again? Forgive me if we have been through this, I ask this so much it from various students it's hard to keep it straight. Do you not have a an audio interface of some type? If not, you really need one. The good news is they are not expensive. There is one called the POD STUDIO GX from line 6 that is a little box with a guitar jack and that goes USB to your computer. It will allow you to record direct without all the problems associated with going in to the Mic input. It comes with POD FARM so you can have emulations of great sounding gear. Here is a link.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mp;src=3LL6WXX1

You really do need some type of audio interface to convert your signal to digital and have it sound good. Without a functioning audio interface, everything will be something of problem/challenge in terms of recording so try to do whatever you can to get one asap. It's crucial to the success of the project. Eventually, you will want to be able to record actual tone from an amp, using a nice microphone. Your audio interface will help with that too. For now, just getting your guitar in to the computer is the first step.

Todd

I'll do a pass of the lick in the mean time as a stop gap. I would iike to see you guys playing the licks even if you have to stretch and grow a bit to make it happen. That's sorta the point smile.gif Write stuff that pushes your ability and you can't help but get better. So far it sounds great! So let's keep it.
QUOTE (quadrium @ Jan 9 2011, 04:49 PM) *

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 10 2011, 05:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
I have got a m-audio fast track usb soundcard but its broken for a while and i think its not fixable sad.gif i am thinking about getting a new equipment and i will definitely take a look at the link you've supplied.As far as i know there are no shipments to Turkey from those sites,so i have to find it in Turkey sad.gif And as for my laptop while i were trying to record my stuff via mic input i think it burned or something because of the guitar-mic empedance difference.Now its not working at all sad.gif Tomorrow i ll take my laptop to a electronics store as i said before.And i ll buy a new equipment for recording as soon as possible smile.gif

Dogukan,

Good news Todd smile.gif i ve found the Line 6 POD Studio GX while checking some websites in Turkey and i've ordered it smile.gif In 3 days i ll have it smile.gif

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 10 2011, 10:36 AM

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2011, 02:42 PM

Sweet! I just saw this point that you found a new sound card! Sorry for the long winded post about the two others. I'm thrilled to hear it smile.gif The Pod Studio GX is a fine unit and I think you will love it. It will be of great help in our project as well!

Todd

QUOTE (quadrium @ Jan 9 2011, 11:04 PM) *
Dogukan,

Good news Todd smile.gif i ve found the Line 6 POD Studio GX while checking some websites in Turkey and i've ordered it smile.gif In 3 days i ll have it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 11 2011, 02:42 PM

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 11 2011, 09:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 9 2011, 06:36 PM) *

Will you upload the project with drums added Todd?

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 12 2011, 12:42 AM
I"ll do you one better. I'll upload all the riffs, and the drum track as separate "stems". What I want you guys to do, is put them together in reaper to build a rough of the song. The Reaper file that Dukogan put up is quite nice. smile.gif Well done! Using these audio files you guys should be able to build/mix something cool. I'd like to see each of you give it a shot in reaper to see what you come up with. There is a bit of a learning curve, but learning is perpetual, it never ends so get used to it now so that it just becomes part of you.

I"ve recorded riff 1, 2, and 3 separately and I'm adding a long loop of the backing drums. Put each on it's own track in reaper and move the bits around to create song structure. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Don't dissapoint me! You can do it!

Attached File  Riff1todd.mp3 ( 1.04MB ) Number of downloads: 198

Attached File  Riff2Todd.mp3 ( 496.86K ) Number of downloads: 194

Attached File  riff3Todd.mp3 ( 496.86K ) Number of downloads: 203

Attached File  Drums.mp3 ( 2.06MB ) Number of downloads: 203

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 12 2011, 01:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
Here is my idea.Its almost like my last idea.But in this one,i used riff 3 before verse 1 and after the second chorus i did an outro from riff3.Hope you like it.In the first attachment you can find the pattern as 4 seperate tracks that Todd sent and in the second attachment you can find the pattern as 1 track.

Dogukan,

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 12 2011, 05:07 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  project_quadrium2.rar ( 2.84K ) Number of downloads: 167
Attached File  project_quadrium4.rar ( 2.6K ) Number of downloads: 171

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2011, 09:07 AM
Very well done! It looks like you getting the hang of reaper! I took your reaper file and extended the drum tracks out (just copied and pasted the drum track the length of the tune) so that the whole song has drums behind it. Copy and paste is your friend when working in non-linear audio editing. If you play a passage once the way you want it, you can use it repeatedly by just pasting it in. This is great when building a song. If its a song that you plan on releasing or putting on a CD, eventually you should record the entire track over as the slight variances in the way you play a riff over time gives a track life.

That being said, I"ve been in the studio and worked on projects with bands that sometimes keep the copy/paste method all the way through for budget reasons (studio time is pricey) or personel reasons (the guy that was playing is out of town or quit the band) etc.

Learning how to produce tracks using software is a critical step in ones growth as a musician. Having an ear for entire tracks, not just guitar parts is important.

I adjusted the levels a bit (pre-mixing) and adjusted the riffs so that they match the beat, there is some riff overlap that will need to be trimmed or re-recorded but one step at a time.

Download this reaper file and give it a listen. You already have the riffs from the previous post. Remember, the reaper file is just a project file, it doesn't contain any audio files. It just points to them. So put the project file and the riff audio files in one folder and reaper will put the pieces together.

Now we need a bass line. Anybody up for that?

Attached File  project_quadrium2a.zip ( 3.05K ) Number of downloads: 183

Todd
QUOTE (quadrium @ Jan 11 2011, 07:52 PM) *
Here is my idea.Its almost like my last idea.But in this one,i used riff 3 before verse 1 and after the second chorus i did an outro from riff3.Hope you like it.In the first attachment you can find the pattern as 4 seperate tracks that Todd sent and in the second attachment you can find the pattern as 1 track.

Dogukan,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2011, 03:21 PM
I"m going to put a call out for a bass player to join us smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 13 2011, 04:20 PM

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 13 2011, 05:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Todd smile.gif And about basses Gitarreo can do bass lines smile.gif

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 13 2011, 07:33 PM

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2011, 09:10 PM
Great! I can do them as well in a pinch, but thought I'd ask around. Did you get a chance to listen to the reaper file with the drums all the way through it? One thing you may notice is that since the drums never change, after a while it can start sounding like a drum machine. This is one of the challenges of home recording. Non-drummers are putting together the drums. So eventually, what you have to do is use different drum parts for different parts of the song and add drum fills in to break it up.

I've got several CD's of drum samples that I have used at various points to construct drum kits, fills etc. I"d be happy to send these cd libraries to you if you are interested in this aspect of production.

Just let me know smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 13 2011, 09:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah i listened ,you did really great smile.gif and i noticed the drums.I'd give it a shot about making drum parts but i've never done this before smile.gif

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 13 2011, 10:10 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey guys,
just had the time to check this thread again. I'll download the reaper files tomorrow and record a bass line, so we got that covered wink.gif

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2011, 03:02 PM
Great news! Can't wait to hear it smile.gif

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:49 AM