> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Bending from Outside Notes: Marty Friedman Style, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

warrioroflight
Nov 11 2014, 02:04 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Bending from Outside Notes: Marty Friedman Style by Ben Higgins

Hey Guys, Here´s my tanke of this beautiful lesson... hope you like it! I know, i messed up at 0:54.. but i think the rest should be fine...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my band: IN LEGEND

And our YouTube Channel

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2014, 02:32 AM
Instructor
Hi friend!

At first I would like to say that it has been a great decision to post the take at REC in order to receive feedback from the different instructors here. I would also like to say that it's great to see you back sharing your progress here and at gab's army.

This take shows that you have been working really hard. This is not an easy lesson, it requires to have a good control of bending and vibrato and what's even more important a well trained ear to reach the correct pitches from outside notes.

You are close at both techniques but it's clear that you still need to practice this lesson and some other ones to make your bending and vibrato more consistent. I could say that most of the bends are very close but aren't exactly on pitch, you tend to bend it a bit less than you should to reach the note required. The best way to train this, is to pay more attention to the pitches but also to play the lesson along with the original take by Ben to be sure that you are reaching the correct notes.

The second thing to improve is vibrato. Your vibrato is not bad, but Ben's vibrato is killer, so this is a great opportunity to make your vibrato more aggressive in some moments, and a bit less in others, in other words, have more control of the technique. Once again, the way to go here is playing along with the original lesson.

So, you are doing a good job, I can note that your playing is getting better, and you are working on advanced stuff, just keep going!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2014, 09:01 AM
Instructor
Hey mate!

I am with Gabi on this one - he pointed out the most important aspects:

- bending
- vibrato

Both of them can be improved by playing alongside the original recording and trying to get as close to Ben's playing as possible - this is all actually a big ear training test and I think it's very important to treat it that way. In term of pitch reaching, don't think of how much you should move your fingers, but let your ears guide you towards that. As I said and I will underline its importance once again - playing against the original recording and trying to match it as close as possible, will definitely improve your skills.

All the best!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 14 2014, 07:03 PM
Instructor
Hi man, it's great to see somebody else tackle this lesson - it's not an easy one !

Ok, as the guys said, you've got some improvements you can make on bending. Even though vibrato could also be improved it's actually good anyway. I quite like your feel along with your tone. When your pitch is on and you're generally phrasing you've got a good touch.

Firstly, let's have a look at bending. You've understood the concept of bending from outside notes well enough. The pitch of the bends are not always where you want them. In many cases they're slightly flat but in some cases you go too sharp, like at 0:28. So try to spend some time on getting the pitch more accurate. One thing you can do is play along with the lesson as C & G have said or also to use that common trick where we first fret the note we want to achieve and then try bending to it, comparing the fretted and and bent note for accuracy.

I think a wrong note is being fretted at 0:19, it's just a semitone out by the sound of it.

As you've already mentioned, the fast run around 0:54 needs work.

On the 2nd and 3rd notes of the lesson, at 0:05, you play them very 'straight' without that staccato pick attack that I, and Marty, use. Try to see if you can work that into your playing as well because these kind of pick dynamics will add interest and contrast to your playing smile.gif

The 2nd half of this lesson is very challenging and even I had a few hiccups when trying to record it... so keep up the good work !

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 17 2014, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:04 PM