Powertabs.net Archive Shut Down Again!?
N4085B
May 6 2008, 11:14 PM
GMC:er
I searched but did not find it posted before, forgive me if its a duplicate post.
It looks like the MPA has shut down the Powertabs.net archive again last month due to copyright infringement.
I still have a hard time understanding when a person transcribes a tune it is harming an artist or record/publishing company...especially if they do not sell it. I've found many tabs that simply do not exist in music book form. I seem to remember a few years ago when the music industry went after midi and lyric sites on the same argument. We all learned by imitating our favorite artists whether by ourselves or by an instructor tabbing out a part for us. So am I to understand that showing a student a piece of music from a recent popular tune is now illegal?!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 6 2008, 11:18 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Well- if they think that it in any way affects their record sales- they'll close it down (if they can)

Maybe learning from the tabs stops the kids from buying the CD and trying by ear?

Either way- i think its silly.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 6 2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
i think it's the same as downloading programs and songs with emule, it's illegal, but everybody does it .. right ?

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 02:33 AM
I dont use powertabs.net anymore anyway, everything on powertabs.net is available at ultimate-guitar.com. I use that to search and normally if the powertab isnt on there then a normal tab is and I can use my ear to pick up mistakes/change what I need to....... I don't use EMule either, I use uTorrent and download the full albums tongue.gif

This post has been edited by iainsteward: May 7 2008, 02:33 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 7 2008, 12:53 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Guys, we don't condone illegal downloads on these boards, please stop discussing it!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 7 2008, 01:32 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (N4085B @ May 6 2008, 10:14 PM) *
I searched but did not find it posted before, forgive me if its a duplicate post.
It looks like the MPA has shut down the Powertabs.net archive again last month due to copyright infringement.
I still have a hard time understanding when a person transcribes a tune it is harming an artist or record/publishing company...especially if they do not sell it. I've found many tabs that simply do not exist in music book form. I seem to remember a few years ago when the music industry went after midi and lyric sites on the same argument. We all learned by imitating our favorite artists whether by ourselves or by an instructor tabbing out a part for us. So am I to understand that showing a student a piece of music from a recent popular tune is now illegal?!!!

I think the issue is that someone owns the rights to the music in any published form - score, lyrics, midi sysops and so on. It's that copyright that is infringed by publishing and distributing the tab - whether or not the owner has published it, or even if it is out of print. So I don't think it's a case of stopping people from learning a piece by ear but one of publication and distribution. As for teaching someone else- not sure but I'd guess you'd run into difficulties if you provide a printed, or other hard copy, format.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 7 2008, 01:35 PM
Any material to do with a song is copyright. All tabs of other peoples songs are copyrighted and therefore the only tab sites around are within countries that don't care a less about copyright infringement. I think everybody uses tabs at certain times but they are actually illegal just as downloading music is.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 7 2008, 12:53 PM) *
Guys, we don't condone illegal downloads on these boards, please stop discussing it!

I think it is a useful thread because many people don't know that tabs are actually infringing copyright.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 7 2008, 02:32 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 7 2008, 12:35 PM) *

I think it is a useful thread because many people don't know that tabs are actually infringing copyright.

Spot on OC though I think Andrew's point was aimed at those who were starting to discuss and name which p2p download sites they use and how.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 7 2008, 02:35 PM
Oh yes. I missed them. Sorry about that. I was just talking about initial question. The other people are just naughty lol biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 7 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
I understand the copyright problems offcourse, but.. I am having some problems too grasping why they target tabsites like powertabs.net.

Most tabs on powertabs arent 100% correct. Most of them are way off, and its more like interpretations of the song and they arent always of the entire song. Plus, they dont sell it.
It would be similiar as discussing on a forum on how (for example) the intro to Enter Sandman is played, and showing the basic tab of the 2 first bars. That same little tab would be just as viewable as something on powertabs.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 7 2008, 03:02 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Tsarpf
May 7 2008, 03:08 PM
Could the same happen to Ultimate-guitar?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 7 2008, 03:09 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 7 2008, 09:32 AM) *
Spot on OC though I think Andrew's point was aimed at those who were starting to discuss and name which p2p download sites they use and how.

Cheers,
Tony

Exactly Tony! Lets carry on discussing the pros and cons of tab sites, but we need to stay away from discussions of illegal music downloads.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 7 2008, 03:14 PM
QUOTE (Tsarpf @ May 7 2008, 03:08 PM) *
Could the same happen to Ultimate-guitar?

No. Ultimate-Guitar is hosted in a country that couldn't care a less about what it is doing but you never know. Maybe it will disappear one day. I don't personally know why lots of tab sites are closing. I can understand when the tabs can be found as sheet music on the shelves but for tabs that aren't then as long as you aren't making money from them they should be fine. But unfortunately they have decided that tab sites shouldn't exist. Seems strange that they haven't given them a problem until recently though.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
N4085B
May 7 2008, 05:23 PM
Im still trying to get my head around this "new" concept....if i go to a club and there is a cover band playing other people's tunes for compensation is that now copyright infringement? How about if the cover band is playing a small venue like a private party/wedding/prom/talent show for free, etc. It just seems that the whole argument is very shakey at best when applied to music (or art) that is someone's interpretation of another's work (or in the case of powertabs, used to study someone's work)...as long as the original artist is credited with it?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:18 AM