Elton John - Rocket Man Solo Tour, St. John's, NL Canada @ Mile One Centre
rokchik
Oct 7 2008, 01:37 AM
The Dark Canuck
Ok, so to say the least, this isn't a concert for everyone here at GMC tongue.gif laugh.gif

However even if you don't like the "Rocket Man" you at least have to admit he's one talented songwritter and a very powerful figure in the music world. This concert, to me, was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see Elton as he should be seen, with just him and a piano. Thats right, no glits, no glamour just a brilliant musician and his instrument singing some of the most greatest and memorable songs written. And for him to come to Atlantic Canada and play in such small venues like, Halifax's Metro Center, Harbour Station in Moncton, NB and in of all places St. John's, NL where capacity for all these places is just around the 10,000 person mark was just amazing in itself. So I wasn't passing up the opportunity. OK on to the review....

Attached Image

Date: October 3, 2008
Set List (I can't remember the exact order for all, but these are the songs played):

Your Song, Sixty Years On, The Greatest Discovery, Ticking, Border Song, The Boy in the Red Shoes, Daniel, Honky Cat, Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, Nikita, I Need You to Turn To, Philadelphia Freedom, Rocket Man, Tiny Dancer, Roy Rogers, Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word, Candle in the Wind, I Guess that's Why they Call it the Blues, Carla/Etude, Take Me to the Pilot. Levon, Bennie and the Jets, Someone Saved my Life Tonight, Sacrifice, Crocodile Rock

Encore: I'm Still Standing, Don't let the Sun go Down on Me
Duration: 2 h 45 mins

Ok well there was a bit of glitz, I mean it was Elton John smile.gif However it wasn't flamnouant or over the top by any means. There was no opening act, there was just a small stage with a black grand piano (Yamaha if anyone is interested) He entered to an orchestra track with a simple white spotlight. No crazy outfit, but his jacket had a really wild design reading "Music Power" and even his glasses were subdued except for the E.J. encrested with diamonds on the lenses. And he didn't waste anytime at all before jumping into "Your Song" and let me say it was just amazing to hear that sung live. I was seated in row JJ on the floor (36 rows back) but I had a great view and with the screens you got some great close ups of Mr. John and they even had a "Key Cam" so you could see him play. But by the end of the show I was right up front... just not close enough for an autograph unfortunatly.

As you can see by the set list he played a lot of favourites as well as some lesser known tracks. However he kept things interesting by doing extended versions of some songs with elaborate solos like his opening to "Take Me to the Pilot" I so didn't know what song he was going to play, as he started with an instrumental that could have led into any one of his many hits. It lasted about 5 mins before going into the song and was just brilliant. He makes playing the piano look so effortless. But my favourite of the night was most definitely "Rocket Man" from the opening note I bawled my eyes out. To hear that song live was just unbelievable. It's my favourite by him and means a lot to me. Candle in the Wind was another that pretty much brought the house down. It was the original version, which I don't like as much as Diana's but he doesn't play that version anymore. No lighters, but 10,000 cell phones give off a lot of light... pics didn't turn out of that but it was amazing to see. And well I've never heard a reaction for ONE single note like when he played the "dun" to start Bennie and the Jets... simply fantastic. I dance with some guy from my row to that one... no idea who he was but he was a good dancer smile.gif Concerts just bring folks together don't they tongue.gif

All in all 25 songs were played and 25 standing ovations were given... for me I stood for most of the concert singing, at the top of my lungs, annoying the folks behind me probably but hey I payed just like them and I was gonna enjoy myself biggrin.gif . He "ended" the show with a brilliant version of "Crocodile Rock". (not my video... I was up front by this time and dancing so video was not on my mind LOL!!!) When he stopped playing and got up from the piano in the middle so the audience could have the "stage" it was so perfectly timed... just awesome and very fun. He signed autographs for about 15 mins and then left but came back for an encore. Both songs brought the house down and well it was two more standing ovations.

Attached Image

This was a most enjoyable concert and even though it was a bit more mellow then most would like, just to hear the piano played so masterfully was worth the price. He played none stop, only breaking to take bows and and a drink of water. There was very little chit chat, only brief explainations to some of the more obscure songs. The sound was so crisp and clear. Elton may not have the falseto range he once did but he sounded brilliant. I actually think he sounds much better with the deeper range. Elton is certainly a master and his fingers worked a whole lot of magic on those keys Friday night. At times I could just feel the bass keys in my chest. I never thought I'd leave with my ears ringing from just a lonley ole piano. Only disappointmet was he never played Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting... but I got over that pretty darn quick smile.gif

Overall Rating: 10... I still can't believe I saw him.

Attached Image

Note: for those who have me on Facebook, I have more photos and a great video of "rocket man" on my profile. For some reason I couldn't upload here but I'll try again later.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Oct 7 2008, 01:40 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 7 2008, 01:45 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Wow, sounds amazing! I love Elton, he has such a sense of melody and delivery, can't imagine what it must have been like to see just he and his piano!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Oct 7 2008, 11:55 AM
Singing Instructor
Amazing review.I think that "Sorry seems to be the hardest word' is one of the most beautiful ballads ever.For shore one of the greatest composers and piano players ever.
Thanks.smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nemanja Filipovic: Oct 7 2008, 11:55 AM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 7 2008, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Wou! It seams to have been an awesome concert! I also think that he is a very talented musician and composer.
Thank you for the great review.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 9 2008, 09:25 PM
Instructor
Awesome review man, I enjoyed very much reading it. Thanks man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 9 2008, 09:45 PM
GMC:er
For the most part, everyone has his day, and after that, I have no interest.

Elton was great, up to and including Honky Chateau. It was down hill from there. Even though his highest popularity followed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsC3g3N_qUQ

Here is one from a nice old series, he really was a talent. Also Bernie was key, the lyrics were very important. People used to assume they were lovers, but I heard an interview with Bernie, and someone asked him if Elton was ever romantically interested him him, and he said "No thank God!".

edit: here is another, someone has that whole concert on youtube. At the time of "Madman Across the Water", my personal favorite of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWv4So7mYw...feature=related

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 9 2008, 09:53 PM

+Quote Post
rokchik
Oct 9 2008, 10:08 PM
The Dark Canuck
That '71 BBC show was great. I've watched most of it leading up to the concert. I agree with you whole heartedly about Bernie. His lyrics are amzing and the two of them are arguably one of the best song writing duos ever.

Elton is certainly a different performer now. His Falseto range is gone (I think it's from throat surgery back in the late 80's early part of the nineties) so the older stuff certainly sounds different. His career has been interesting, many ups and downs for sure, but I think threw it all he's held up pretty well, and he still knows how to entertain. He may be a bit more subdued but you still see flashes of the old Elton in that smile.

One thing that stood out to me, which I failed to mention in my review, is that even though he's been singing some of these songs for over 30 yrs he still has a smile on his face when he plays them. He cried after The Boy in the Red Shoes, and when he was doing his instrumentals you could see how much he still enjoyed playing. That made it all worth it as there is nothing worse then seeing someone just go through the motions on stage.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 9 2008, 10:27 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (rokchik @ Oct 9 2008, 04:08 PM) *
That '71 BBC show was great. I've watched most of it leading up to the concert. I agree with you whole heartedly about Bernie. His lyrics are amzing and the two of them are arguably one of the best song writing duos ever.

Elton is certainly a different performer now. His Falseto range is gone (I think it's from throat surgery back in the late 80's early part of the nineties) so the older stuff certainly sounds different. His career has been interesting, many ups and downs for sure, but I think threw it all he's held up pretty well, and he still knows how to entertain. He may be a bit more subdued but you still see flashes of the old Elton in that smile.

One thing that stood out to me, which I failed to mention in my review, is that even though he's been singing some of these songs for over 30 yrs he still has a smile on his face when he plays them. He cried after The Boy in the Red Shoes, and when he was doing his instrumentals you could see how much he still enjoyed playing. That made it all worth it as there is nothing worse then seeing someone just go through the motions on stage.

Some people like that. Many. Nothing wrong with it. Myself, well for example, I am very careful never to look at a body at a wake, don't want my older memories interfered with. But others want that. People are different.

He was my favorite performer when I was young. But like others, well for example I like some 80's female singers, but I don't want to see them now, or even think of them now. I want to think of them and remember them as I knew them. I mean, I liked some Eddie Money songs, and that image I had has been altered forever now because I saw a recent video of him. I really like some Female 80's singers such as Cyndi Lauper and Patty Smyth, but I sure avoid clicking on any recent video. To me it would be like looking at a dead body of someone I loved after the embalming fluid and makeup. I realize that may not sound nice, but as they have all made more money than I can ever dream of having, I will not feel sorry for them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:09 PM