Training The Mind
Ben Higgins
Apr 13 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
I've just been reading a great book by Arnold Schwarzenegger. In it, he talks a lot about his mental approach to his training and success. Here's a small section from Arnold himself

'..Because the mind motivates you to train the body, you have to train the mind first. If the mind doesn't want to lift weights, the body won't lift them....... The secret is to make your mind work for you, not against you. This means constantly setting up challenges you can meet - either today, next week, or next month. " I can't " should be permanently stricken from your vocabulary, especially the vocabulary of your thoughts.'

Elsewhere in the book, he also talked about power lifters who would mentally psyche themselves up to lift a massive weight. They would prepare constantly by lifting the weight in their minds so they were able to lift it for real. Arnold stressed how important it was to successfully do something in your mind before being able to do it physically. If you faltered, or had doubt, you wouldn't be able to lift the weight. The mind has to achieve something before the body does.

I guess it makes sense when we look at it like that. It's like a continuation. If the mind is correctly aligned then the body can follow. A good word I discovered a few months back that could describe the ideal relationship between mind and body is congruent. When we are congruent in our thoughts and actions, we achieve whatever we want to.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
bleez
Apr 16 2012, 07:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ive tried a few times to get into that mindset.
Because I train with weights a lot and have done for many years, Ive read a lot and watched a lot of Arnold, Frank Zane and Tom Platz ( another dude heavily into this kind of mindset ). I even went through a spell of learning to meditate but Ive never been able to make it work. Im either too negative, too sceptical or just not intelligent enough!

Ive often thought that self doubt is a good thing to have. it can be debilitating on one hand but it can keep you sharp, at least that's what I tell myself.
I used to do some MMA and would frequently fight guys half my age who were just full of confidence..... I did enjoy the moment they realised that their confidence may be a little misplaced wink.gif

But that said, I really did envy them their self confidence. I dont know where they got it from but I wished I had some of it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bleez: Apr 16 2012, 07:37 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 16 2012, 08:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 16 2012, 07:35 PM) *
Ive tried a few times to get into that mindset.
Because I train with weights a lot and have done for many years, Ive read a lot and watched a lot of Arnold, Frank Zane and Tom Platz ( another dude heavily into this kind of mindset ). I even went through a spell of learning to meditate but Ive never been able to make it work. Im either too negative, too sceptical or just not intelligent enough!

Ive often thought that self doubt is a good thing to have. it can be debilitating on one hand but it can keep you sharp, at least that's what I tell myself.
I used to do some MMA and would frequently fight guys half my age who were just full of confidence..... I did enjoy the moment they realised that their confidence may be a little misplaced wink.gif

But that said, I really did envy them their self confidence. I dont know where they got it from but I wished I had some of it!

A cool revelation I had a few years ago was that confidence isn't a real thing that we own.. it's an attitude, state of mind. Any of us can access it and use it but it's not an assett that people just possess naturally, which is a good thing smile.gif It means it's accessable to all, anytime. Easier said than done, sometimes.. but it is there !

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 16 2012, 07:35 PM) *

I know what you're getting at but I would say it's not self doubt you want, it's an ability to be critical of yourself to make sure you're not getting complacent. It's something that not many of the famous rock or metal bands seem to possess once they get past a certain level of success wink.gif

Stay hungry !

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Ben Higgins   Training The Mind   Apr 13 2012, 08:55 AM
- - Dinaga   Yes, I love Arnold's quotes! He has a lot ...   Apr 13 2012, 10:15 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Dinaga @ Apr 13 2012, 10:15 AM) Ye...   Apr 13 2012, 11:21 AM
nnn
- - JaxN4   Great Thread.... It's a subject that would be...   Apr 13 2012, 11:56 AM
- - HungryForHeaven   A quote up the same avenue, that I once (or twice)...   Apr 13 2012, 01:11 PM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Apr 13 2012, 01...   Apr 13 2012, 04:14 PM
nnn
- - Nihilist1   This is still the best video of Arnold ever. Wa...   Apr 13 2012, 01:44 PM
- - Gitarrero   QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Apr 13 2012, 02...   Apr 13 2012, 01:49 PM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 13 2012, 07:49 AM)...   Apr 14 2012, 02:26 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 14 2012, 02:2...   Apr 14 2012, 10:27 AM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 14 2012, 04:27 A...   Apr 16 2012, 08:03 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - dark dude   Years ago, I was very sceptical about this, but in...   Apr 13 2012, 04:02 PM
- - PosterBoy   Arnie has some great insights. I always found les...   Apr 13 2012, 05:21 PM
- - SirJamsalot   Great thoughts Ben! I'll have to get the b...   Apr 13 2012, 06:02 PM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 13 2012, 06:02 P...   Apr 13 2012, 09:20 PM
nnn
- - Gabriel Leopardi   I'm discovering an Arnold's side that I di...   Apr 13 2012, 06:42 PM
- - DevilsWolf   It is the holistic view of the human body. Psych...   Apr 14 2012, 12:21 AM
- - Todd Simpson   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 13 2012, 03:55 A...   Apr 14 2012, 03:08 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:04 AM