Pop Chord Progressions
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2011, 05:46 AM
Instructor
Hi guys! I found a really cool article where the author did a deep analysis of the chords progressions most used in Pop music. I find it really cool because I analyse music and songs in this same way...

This is the article: http://fromthewoodshed.com/2011/05/26/pop-...d-progressions/

This video is also included in the article:

What do you think? Would you do this analysis based on your favourite style?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 16 2011, 12:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I really like this concept and I have thought a lot about it. It really makes you wonder and stop for a second when thinking about composing? I think it pretty easy to get in the trap of avoiding "common stuff" and trying to be original "no matter what".
I don't actually think originality means using uncommon chord progressions or really weird effects or something. It goes way beyond that. We are all "original" and different as human beings by default. If people recognize your work, you will be considered original in the end. When I'm composing, my number one priority is to make a beautiful song that is pleasing to my ears. It doesn't matter to me if I use the same chords as James Blunt and tons of others - it's not the chords that matter in the end rather the song. Overall experience, lyrics, melody, arrangement. In the video above you can find 40 songs that share same chords, but they are all huge hit songs and they are actually very different in comparison. Using those chords will not provide you with a hit song either.
I always liked "simple the better" approach to music. As long as the songs sounds beautiful to my ears it doesn't matter if it shares something common with other songs I guess...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2011, 02:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 16 2011, 08:08 AM) *
I really like this concept and I have thought a lot about it. It really makes you wonder and stop for a second when thinking about composing? I think it pretty easy to get in the trap of avoiding "common stuff" and trying to be original "no matter what".
I don't actually think originality means using uncommon chord progressions or really weird effects or something. It goes way beyond that. We are all "original" and different as human beings by default. If people recognize your work, you will be considered original in the end. When I'm composing, my number one priority is to make a beautiful song that is pleasing to my ears. It doesn't matter to me if I use the same chords as James Blunt and tons of others - it's not the chords that matter in the end rather the song. Overall experience, lyrics, melody, arrangement. In the video above you can find 40 songs that share same chords, but they are all huge hit songs and they are actually very different in comparison. Using those chords will not provide you with a hit song either.
I always liked "simple the better" approach to music. As long as the songs sounds beautiful to my ears it doesn't matter if it shares something common with other songs I guess...

I agree! These progressions can be used as a start point for composing, then you can make some little changes (or not). As you said here this doesn't mean that you are not original or that you are stealing a song... and this neither mean that you will always get a hit song.
Don't miss this page where the author wrote all the progressions that he found! it's amazing!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet...;hl=en_US#gid=0

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:36 PM