2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Drop C Tuning
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2014, 05:23 AM
GMC:er
I"ve tuned my Neck Through Body Ibanez RGT42 to DROP C and it's pretty darn spiff! I left the heavy gauge strings on it and it sounds meaaaaaaaannnn!!!! Drop C didn't work well on my RG560 with 9 gauge strings and a bolt on neck. But on this one with the neck through and the heavy strings, it's nice!!!!

ANYONE ELSE HAVE AN AXE DEDICATED TO DROP C?

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Aug 14 2014, 05:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'be got my mockingbird Pro X in drop C. thats my go to Rhythem guitar. My main lead guitar is in D standard with 9 gauge (Oh the craziness) its great for legato work and bending and stuff but you really have to be spot on with ur picking otherwise it gets caught up in the strings. Going to setup my new build guitar in D standard with 10's on there for more of a allround guitar.

In summery, Drop C is the bomb yo

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Aug 14 2014, 08:06 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Going off topic here but man, that is a beautiful finish on that guitar Todd! Red is my color. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 14 2014, 08:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've got my Wolf dedicated to Drop C and have put 12 gauge strings on there. Works wonderful!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2014, 05:10 AM
EGAD!!!! I cleaned the frets with my fret "eraser" and added some dunlop neck juice/polish, and then added a set of slink 8 Gauge strings and OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! This thing plays better than my RG560!!! I can't believe it. I'm taking it OFF ebay. I may never sell it. I'll be using it THIS WEEKEND during our Vid Chat!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mith
Aug 15 2014, 06:17 AM
how does that neck eraser go?
beat steel wool?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Yeah - me biggrin.gif My main axe, a PRS Tremonti is always tuned to Drop C, in order to serve my beloved band - Days of Confusion. Here's a pic from last weekend's gig:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2014, 08:38 AM
YUP!! Cleaned up the frets like new! No scratches, no mess, nice!! The metal guide keeps it from rubbing the fretboard. Used some dunlop neck juice and bam, good as new smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Aug 15 2014, 01:17 AM) *
how does that neck eraser go?
beat steel wool?

Cool!! Nice pic too!!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 16 2014, 03:18 AM) *
Yeah - me biggrin.gif My main axe, a PRS Tremonti is always tuned to Drop C, in order to serve my beloved band - Days of Confusion. Here's a pic from last weekend's gig:

+Quote Post
Mith
Aug 16 2014, 08:40 AM
Drop C gets the ladies

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Aug 16 2014, 09:32 AM
Can drop C work on a bolt on neck guitar? I was hoping to do that with my PRS Custom 22.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2014, 07:57 PM
Sure smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ Aug 16 2014, 04:32 AM) *
Can drop C work on a bolt on neck guitar? I was hoping to do that with my PRS Custom 22.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 17 2014, 11:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Aug 16 2014, 08:32 AM) *

Go ahead and try it man! It' will sound amazing biggrin.gif I have played a C22 downtuned to drop C and it totally rocks! Speaking of bolt on axes - I have also tried a Telecaster downtuned to drop C and that one is amazing as well - this one, belonging to my band mate:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 17 2014, 11:19 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Aug 17 2014, 11:49 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 17 2014, 06:17 AM) *
Go ahead and try it man! It' will sound amazing biggrin.gif I have played a C22 downtuned to drop C and it totally rocks! Speaking of bolt on axes - I have also tried a Telecaster downtuned to drop C and that one is amazing as well - this one, belonging to my band mate:

That is a SWEET looking Tele. If I ever acquire one I'd want it to have a natural finish like that.

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Aug 17 2014, 10:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
great tuning
i use a 7 string now tuned in A flat but thinking maybe it "too much" and "too low"
and remember the days when i created Drop C metal hehe

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 18 2014, 07:19 AM
Instructor
About 3/4 of our songs are written in drop C and the rest in drop A or a combo of standard B with the thickest string downtuned to G - that's the one we used for Bloodstream.

On the new album, we will most likely have a few songs in drop E - so that's why we'll probably get some extra baritone guitars that we'll tune like that. I wonder what sort of strings would go best with this sort of tuning on a baritone? 12-68s are way too flabby for this, so I was thinking that maybe some 14 - 74?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 18 2014, 10:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 18 2014, 08:19 AM) *
About 3/4 of our songs are written in drop C and the rest in drop A or a combo of standard B with the thickest string downtuned to G - that's the one we used for Bloodstream.

On the new album, we will most likely have a few songs in drop E - so that's why we'll probably get some extra baritone guitars that we'll tune like that. I wonder what sort of strings would go best with this sort of tuning on a baritone? 12-68s are way too flabby for this, so I was thinking that maybe some 14 - 74?

I tried 13-74 on my 7 string (though not baritone) and it was okay, though not something I'm probably gonna do again. Might work better for you though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2014, 05:26 AM
I changed my DROP C guitar to a pair of SLINKY 8 gauge strings and WOW!!!!!!

I tried the Yngwie 8 gauge string set and HATED THEM!!! So I swore of 8 gauge sets. But the SLINKY 8 gauge are BRILLIANT!!!! Turns the guitar in to a much more expressive instrument. Bends are more controllable and subtle, playability is increased, tone is improved, just WOW!!!!!

I love it so much that I'm going to try Slinky 8s on my other guitars!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 18 2014, 05:59 AM) *
I tried 13-74 on my 7 string (though not baritone) and it was okay, though not something I'm probably gonna do again. Might work better for you though.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2014, 07:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 18 2014, 09:59 AM) *

Most certainly, I will try this. We have a new luthier in the city, which is slowly but surely rising to be the best among them. He's young and skilled and he has a sturdy relationship with a lot of instrument dealers, so he knows a lot about a lot of things.

I am taking my baritone tomorrow at his shop to have it set up properly smile.gif I'll let you know what happens afterwards! Thank you for the tip, man!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 20 2014, 01:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 19 2014, 08:31 AM) *
Most certainly, I will try this. We have a new luthier in the city, which is slowly but surely rising to be the best among them. He's young and skilled and he has a sturdy relationship with a lot of instrument dealers, so he knows a lot about a lot of things.

I am taking my baritone tomorrow at his shop to have it set up properly smile.gif I'll let you know what happens afterwards! Thank you for the tip, man!

That reminds me that I need to set up and intonate my 6 string in drop C properly. I never got around to it actually.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2014, 07:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 20 2014, 12:01 PM) *
That reminds me that I need to set up and intonate my 6 string in drop C properly. I never got around to it actually.

Uh oh - I took my baritone to that luthier I told you about in the previous post and I am picking the axe up on Friday - he is twice as expensive as the rest of the guys, but I think he's worth the investment. In respect to how my baritone will feel after this visit, I will take the Allender and Tremonti there and I will also let him take care of my old acoustic.

I have inherited a Gibson songwriter copy, made in Romania sometime around 1976 smile.gif It was kept in mint conditions and I want to re-fret it, install new keys and a Fishman preamp. It will sound amazing and I will most likely keep it in standard, as my Yamaha acoustic sits in C# standard, because apparently, that's a tuning suitable for my voice smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:41 PM