Tempo Subdivision/track Editing In Garageband
Phil666
Nov 21 2009, 05:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi,

I use garageband and I met the following problem. When I'm using a backing track, most of the time, it doesn't fit with garage band tempo and time subdivision.

For instance, the backing track tempo is "120.05", and after a few measures, there's a shift between garage band time subdivision and the backing track. Or, sometimes, the tempo match, but the back track first beat doesn't correspond exactly to the beginning of the song.

It's not a problem if I just want to record over the BT, but it becomes a problem if I want to do some track editing, or use the metronome over the track (it can be useful sometimes).

Anyway, I'm sure others have encountered this problem. Is there a way to solve this in GB, or in similar software?

Thanks,
Philippe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 21 2009, 06:00 PM
GMC:er
Sometimes I'll receive a track that is perfectly in tempo, but contains a few ms of extra time in front of the first click's peak. If GB is snapping tracks to the beat, that will throw everything off by that amount of time. This kind of problem is even worse if there are no leading clicks to the track.

If the tempo is also in question then this gets even more difficult to fix. The best fix for this is to look for peaks that you can match up to your workstation's grid (if it displays one at all) and see if the track fits at all in the expected tempo. If it doesn't, and if there's also the problem of extra time in front of a click track, or there simply is no leading click track, any two of these problems will make it much much more challenging to get the thing synchronized.

At that point you're looking at using the editor on the wave file. That seems like the last resort to me, but perhaps the real audio engineers around here can suggest more.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:24 PM