Need The Very Basics, Basics
Dreamcatcher
Jan 2 2009, 04:50 PM
GMC:er
Ok heres my deal...I used to play alot..in a band etc this was back when I was 17 or so I'm now 37 most of the tunes I knew I have forgotten since I have't really been into the guitar much since way back then. I was self taugh...used ez tab and so never really hit any basics...chords or anything. I can play ok and learn songs no problem...my big fail is the fact when I sit back I realise I know nothing. I probably have 2,000 bad habits to break as well. I'm unable as of yet to understand some of the diagrams in which alot of the lessons are taught with. Ok so with that novel written here is what I'm thinking I need...
1. Some structure like start here do this lesson that lesson..so on and so forth.
2. learn how to read these diagrams so I can understand what all the colored circles mean and where they are pointing to.
3. learn the patterns in such a way I can visualize them (if Possible)

I know this is alot to put in here all at once...but from what I have seen so far ..this is exactly where I should be..you all have been so ready to help everyone with from the simplest problems to the hard problems ..I am hoping you can all help me out ...I will thank you all in Advance for your time and patience with me and my troubles smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 07:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dreamcatcher @ Jan 2 2009, 04:50 PM) *
1. Some structure like start here do this lesson that lesson..so on and so forth.
2. learn how to read these diagrams so I can understand what all the colored circles mean and where they are pointing to.
3. learn the patterns in such a way I can visualize them (if Possible)

These questions are too often asked here on the forums, so for all, I have made a small beginner program to follow, bare with me:

SESSION 1________________________________________________________________________________

Here are several simple lesson that you should definitely check out. It's Andrew's First Steps series. You may already know things from them, but it is definitely a good to watch them:

First Steps 1
First Steps 2
First two lessons above are IMO for people who are taking guitars for the first time in their hands, so be sure to check them out if you are just getting to play the guitar.

First Steps 3
First Steps 4
First Steps 5
First Steps 6
These 4 lessons are essential for every beginner player to watch, as they contain a lot of interesting and helpful information about things every player should know.

SESSION 2________________________________________________________________________________

If you don't know how to tune or restring the guitar, or use a metronome, definitely check out:
GUITAR TUNING TUTORIAL
GUITAR RESTRINGING TUTORIAL (no floyd rose tremolo covered yet)
USING A METRONOME

SESSION 3________________________________________________________________________________

When you finish with this basic learning you can warm up your hands with these lessons:

Warming Up With Marcus Siepen
Right hand Basics

SESSION 4 - THEORY___________________________________________________________________________

At this time every player should be aware that guitar playing should be definitely backed up with some knowledge, or else how can we know what we are doing! So in parallel with every video lesson, let's read some of great Andrew's theory lessons here on GMC.

For starters, let's read these 3 great articles to help you get to know theory basics and reading music and diagrams for guitar.
Theory Basics For Guitar
Reading Music - Tabs
Reading Scale Diagrams

SESSION 5
________________________________________________________________________________

After reading some theory, now it's time to learn the pentatonic scale. We have 2 assignments for this session - 1 article and 1 big series!

Theory Article 1 - Minor Pentatonic
Lesson 1 - Pentatonic Workshop Series - Video Lesson Series to help you master the pentatonics

SESSION 6________________________________________________________________________________

In this session, our assignment is to read 3 great theory articles and then tackle 2 basic power chord lessons:

Theory Article 1 - Degrees of the scale
Theory Article 2 - Intervals
Theory Article 3 - Power Chords

Lesson 1 - Beginner Power Chords
Lesson 2 - Smoke On The Water

SESSION 7________________________________________________________________________________

In session 7, we are slowly starting to cover the chords as well. We have one theory article and several basic chordal lessons:

Article 1 - Intervals, Chords, Triads and Harmonies
Lesson 1 - Chord Basics
Lesson 2 - Barre Triads
Lesson 3 - Open Chords Strumming
Lesson 4 - Pop Strumming

SESSION 8 - THEORY___________________________________________________________________________

In this session we will cover some more theory articles to prepare ourselves for the future assignments. I suggest you go through them as they are very essential!

Article 1 - Circle of Fifths
Article 2 - Chords For Scales
Article 3 - CAGED, Part 1
Article 4 - CAGED, Part 2

SESSION 9________________________________________________________________________________

In this session we will cover some basic modes knowledge, including one article about explaining modes and some lesson exercises:

Article 1 - Modes - Introduction
Article 2 - Modes - The Theory
Lesson 1 - Modes - 3 note per string patterns - Alternate Picking
Lesson 2 - Learning the modes
Lesson 3 - Seven Strings Modes 3-Notes
Lesson 4 - Modal Solo

That's it for now! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Dreamcatcher   Need The Very Basics   Jan 2 2009, 04:50 PM
- - lcsdds   QUOTE (Dreamcatcher @ Jan 2 2009, 04:50 P...   Jan 2 2009, 04:54 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Hello you are in the right place..Since you have t...   Jan 2 2009, 05:05 PM
- - Ramiro Delforte   1- Try to look up for the lessons that are classif...   Jan 2 2009, 05:06 PM
- - Dreamcatcher   I have thought about the MTP however I'm not s...   Jan 2 2009, 05:11 PM
- - lcsdds   You will basically be paired up with an intermedia...   Jan 2 2009, 05:29 PM
- - Carlos Carrillo   Hello friend!! Initially it was turning ou...   Jan 2 2009, 05:31 PM
- - Dreamcatcher   If I havent missed the deadline i should try to ge...   Jan 2 2009, 05:33 PM
- - enforcer   I seriously recommend you signing up to MTP Beginn...   Jan 2 2009, 05:35 PM
- - berko   There is a lot of helpful stuff on this site to cl...   Jan 2 2009, 05:51 PM
- - Dreamcatcher   wow thats a great structure!!! Thats t...   Jan 2 2009, 08:02 PM
- - Velvet Roger   I would also strongly suggest to go for the MTP pr...   Jan 2 2009, 11:42 PM
- - berko   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 2 2009, 07:4...   Jan 2 2009, 11:45 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   That's the idea mate Thanks   Jan 3 2009, 12:39 AM
- - Dreamcatcher   As far as the MTP I have created a quick vid ..if ...   Jan 3 2009, 12:48 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Thanks mate, I'm glad you like the lesson plan...   Jan 17 2009, 01:24 AM
- - Vasilije Vukmirovic   Don't worry about the big break you made. You...   Jan 17 2009, 12:45 PM
- - Azzaboi   Nice starting guidelines, thx   Mar 24 2009, 06:13 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   No prob, cheers!   Mar 24 2009, 05:25 PM
- - Rob Wilson   What an excellent post! This is really useful...   Jun 20 2009, 02:18 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   I'm glad to help man. Cheers   Jun 20 2009, 10:00 PM
- - WilliamWhite   Wow Ivan, You are a mindreader....or i am maybe n...   Sep 4 2011, 02:11 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:59 AM