10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
The Gmc Borderline Group Program
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 26 2015, 04:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jun 25 2015, 12:56 PM) *
Thanks, friend!

I will focus on these elements and try to polish everything to the best of my ability over these last few days biggrin.gif

Great! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 27 2015, 08:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, here is my take thus far. Hopefully I will have time to get some feedback and make some corrections, but if not, this may have to be my submission for the week. It's not perfect, but I feel pretty good about it. I have to say the deadline really pushed me. I didn't think it was possible to play this entire lesson in ten days. It's the highest difficulty (6) I've ever attempted, but here I am and for the most part think I've got it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 27 2015, 11:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Gab, what would you score this on the new REC grading scale? You can PM me if you want, it'd help me adjust in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2015, 02:03 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, it's great to know that the deadline is making you work hard and even surprising of how much you can achieve in 10 days. It's one of the main objective of this program.

On this program I'll be very strict and as I said before I'll put a lot of emphasis on details. This take is good, but I think that there is still more room to adjust bending (the pitch and speed of them) and vibrato (to make it more consistent). Your tone is good, but my subjective opinion is that it needs more presence and a clearer ambience (delay and reverb).

I won't be giving grades before the deadline of each assignment, I'm sorry but I want the best possible from you... yeah,, I can become that teacher that we hate at the university.... laugh.gif cool.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 28 2015, 10:58 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just checking as there still may be enough time for me to change what Im doing with this if I got it wrong....
Im not playing the lesson 100% note for note. There are a few licks that I have dropped completely and substituted for my own stuff which is quite different from the original. Im maybe playing about 70% - 80% of the original and the rest is different, is that okay?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 28 2015, 11:25 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 28 2015, 09:58 AM) *
Just checking as there still may be enough time for me to change what Im doing with this if I got it wrong....
Im not playing the lesson 100% note for note. There are a few licks that I have dropped completely and substituted for my own stuff which is quite different from the original. Im maybe playing about 70% - 80% of the original and the rest is different, is that okay?

That's what I've done too.

The last bit was a bit much to cram in so I've kinda improvised a bit.

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Jun 28 2015, 01:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys.
This is my final version. Tomorrow i have a long long work day and not time for playing guitar.
I know that my vibrato need more practice.

Assignment 1: Final Take

This post has been edited by Beat Zbinden: Jun 29 2015, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 28 2015, 01:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Beat, I tried to watch your video, but it's marked as Private.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jun 28 2015, 08:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I couldn't leave it at that. I'm glad I got a bit of feedback before the deadline. I re-worked the guitar tone and improved the bend pitches and vibrato.

Edit: Assignment 1: Final Take

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Jun 29 2015, 06:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jun 28 2015, 11:31 PM
Learning Roadie
All aboard the train wreck sad.gif

You guys did so awesome for ten days I feel kind of embarrassed to post this:

I couldn't quite get the last half down to where I was happy with it so I decided to improvise instead but that didn't turn out any better...

Hope I didn't let anyone down - I tried my best unsure.gif

Best of luck everyone biggrin.gif

EDIT: Assignment 1: Final Take

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jun 29 2015, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 29 2015, 05:14 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! Thanks for the takes! Remember that today is the last day to share your takes. Please include the phrase "Assignment 1: Final Take" to let me find them at any time.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 29 2015, 07:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Assignment 1: Final Take

Im starting to think I added too much of my own stuff. It seemed like the thing to do at the time mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 2 2015, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Ok guys!! Thanks everybody for your assignments. These are my comments on your final takes. Please take today to review the things that I marked and save the text for the end of the course. I'll share the Assignment II tomorrow....

ASSIGNMENT I - BLUES: The comments.

Bleez: link to the take: https://youtu.be/l8CvZ_hHeSE

Hi mate, congrats on your first assignment done!!

This take shows that you’ve been working hard on the details that I suggested for this first stage of the program. Your vibrato is going very natural with the backing, your bending is precise and there is some interesting dynamics work, mostly on the last phrases.

I think that your tone is not going really well with the backing on this one. I feel that it’s a bit trebly and counteracts the great feel of your playing. Maybe using the bridge pick up or tweaking a bit your EQ could help. The ambience effect isn’t helping because it’s not clear enough, it sounds like a poor reverb effect. I would try with another setting or maybe using some delay to give an ambience feel.

Let me mark some details:
00:04 – There is an unwanted noise sounding when you repeat the bend.
00:11 - The bends here doesn’t sound natural.
00:14 – That nice Hendrix lick could sound nicer and groovy.
00:17 – This phrase is a bit sloppy and again could go better with the track’s rhythm.
00:27 – This vibrato could be even wider! And this whole lick could be played with more intensity.
00:47 - This trill’s rhythm is not natural.

About the elements that I wanted you to work, I think that you are on the right track with them, except with the one that was most related to add your own playing to this one. I’d like to see more of you on future assignments. Sometimes your vibrato could be more defined and your bending more natural but this is on the right track. You’ll have to continue working on them, as well as on groove and dynamics that are two elements that have more room on this one.

Chris S.: Link to the take: https://youtu.be/OQ7xiy5LKhs

Hi Chris! Congratulations on your first final take for this program!

The first thing that I note on this take is that you added your personal touch to this piece and that’s very valuable on this course! You play your own stuff and the licks from the lesson with the same confidence which is very important. You did a very good job with the elements that I wanted you to work on this first assignment.

There are only two moments in which I think that your timing is not going really well with the backing, the first one is at 00:20 and the second one is at 00:48. Both licks are similar so be careful with them.

I like how you managed vibrato and bending on this take. There is a lot happening on your bending technique, I notice that you put attention on how and when you reach the notes as I suggested previously. There is a bend at 00:06 in which the vibrato is a bit weak, it’s the only part there I noted that your vibrato is not consistent. On the other sections your vibrato is fantastic, it goes natural but it adds a lot of feeling to your phrasing.

Your tone sounds very nice with the backing and it’s enhanced by a clever use of dynamics.

In other words, you did a killer job with this one. Thanks mate!

Yoncopin: Link to the take: https://youtu.be/DQMTlXjNVM4

Hi Brian! Congratulations on your first assignment completed!

It’s awesome how much you improved this one compared with the previous one that you shared here. This shows how much you’ve been working. The first thing that I want to remark of your playing is how groovy you can play, your rhythm is amazing mate, it makes your overall playing sound very smooth, and it can let us forget about your weak points while you play.

However, as we are here to improve, I paid extra attention to your phrasing to see how you managed the elements that I suggested. Your vibrato sounds natural on the whole take, but I feel that it could be wider in some moments to add more intensity to your playing. I also noted that you don’t add vibrato on your bends, which would add something too.

Your bending is much more natural on this new take compared with the previous one. You reach the notes with more precision and your fingers seem to be more comfortable with the strength required. However, there is now a new target with your bends and it’s to add that extra feel that can be achieved by managing how and when you reach the notes. This is related to dynamics but also to the speed of your bends. Sometimes some retard in the reach of the notes can add extra feeling that is totally welcome on this style.

Your tone is more defined on this one and it makes it quite perfect to my ears. There is only some little room to add more “body” to the sound, which could appear by increasing some bass frequencies. Try it.

That’s all for this one, you did a very good job, congrats and thanks!

Beat: Link to the take: https://youtu.be/UAf0hhTVnw0

Hey mate! Congrats on your first submit for the course!

The first thing that I note on this take is that you put a big effort in working on the two technique elements suggested: bending and vibrato.

The winner is vibrato on this one, it’s cool to see that you are starting to find different kind of them which Is a good step to develop your own style of playing. However you just have to be careful and avoid playing vibrato always too soon. It’s better to let the note sound and then add it, in order to avoid your phrasing sound a bit nervous, which is what the first feel that I get from the overall thing. This is surely related to the fact that you were most focusing on the techniques than on how the overall thing sounds and feel.

Your bending is reaching the right pitches in most of the parts and your fingers look comfortable with the strength required. There is still room to get more from the original lesson on how the instructor reaches the notes, and how sometimes he retards the bend to give and extra feel.

There are some little moments in which your timing is not precise, and it’s once again related to playing too soon. Check out the Hendrix lick at 00:12.

Some other details:

- 00:28: This two bends are not reaching the pitch tight.
- 00:35: Great vibrato here!!
- There are some notes that don’t sound clean in some little moments. You’ll surely note it if you pay attention to it.

Ok mate, I know that this lesson has been very demanding but I feel that this take is a good step forward into this kind of playing and that more work on this kind of stuff will have a great impact on your playing.

Some of the things that I marked here are related to the fact that you need to relax while playing, breathe and make the things happen more natural… you’ll say, yeah it’s easy to say it. But well, with more practice, you’ll feel more comfortable with this kind of phrases, and it’ll be easier to do it. Keep on the hard work!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 2 2015, 04:16 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 3 2015, 03:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Gab, that is a very complimentary take on my playing. The groovy rhythm line has me smiling every time I read it. I think making two videos was really helpful in getting close to the mark. If possible I'll definitely try to do that again. Ready for the next assignment!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2015, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Assignment 2 – Ballad

The second assignment is based on rock ballad. I find ballad backings really cool to improvise for long hours and also very helpful to train my expressive techniques and phrasing. The first time I've heard this lesson I was impressed by Darius composition but even more for his amazing and inspiring interpretation inspired on fantastic players like Andy Timmons and Jeff Beck. So pay special attention to how he uses expressive elements on this one, every little details makes the whole thing epic.

The specific elements that we will focus on this one are:

- Dynamics
- Tone
- Phrasing with Ionian Mode

Lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/

Deadline: July 13th

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 4 2015, 05:59 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 3 2015, 09:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 3 2015, 04:23 PM) *
Deadline: July 3th

Waaahh - it's due today?! wink.gif

Guessing the 13th right? tongue.gif

I'm on vacation until the 5th so I'll have to practice extra hard when I come back - I won't let you down! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 4 2015, 06:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 3 2015, 05:12 PM) *
Waaahh - it's due today?! wink.gif

Guessing the 13th right? tongue.gif

I'm on vacation until the 5th so I'll have to practice extra hard when I come back - I won't let you down! biggrin.gif

hehehe yeah, it's 13th! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 4 2015, 01:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just wanted to say great work on your first assignment, guys smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 4 2015, 08:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I was trying to make a new tone for single-coil Strat for this lesson, and it's basically unusable when rolling in the volume swells because it brings the pickup hum right into the forefront. No matter, I tried a different guitar and it'll work fine.

But... in my reading about it I came across this guide MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide which was REALLY helpful in learning more about my Pod HD500X. bleez, you have one too right? Check it out, maybe it'll be as useful to you as it was to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 4 2015, 08:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 4 2015, 08:11 PM) *
I was trying to make a new tone for single-coil Strat for this lesson, and it's basically unusable when rolling in the volume swells because it brings the pickup hum right into the forefront. No matter, I tried a different guitar and it'll work fine.

But... in my reading about it I came across this guide MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide which was REALLY helpful in learning more about my Pod HD500X. bleez, you have one too right? Check it out, maybe it'll be as useful to you as it was to me.

Ah Yes smile.gif Thanks dude. Todd linked a page from that site about EQs, it was very interesting, cant say that I have EQ figured out though!
I didnt realise how massive that site is ohmy.gif I'll definitely read through it.
Ive got no chance of matching the tone on this lesson. I dont have a single coil guitar or the knowledge on how to make an LP sound like one.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:11 PM