> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

22 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 >  
Timmy B's Mentoring Thread
Timmy b
Aug 29 2014, 08:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
All sounds good!

I'll get the tool track done this weekend and move on.

The new lessons are tricky, but I find they are definetly worth doing. Like I said, the funk one is going well. your one needs a bit more practice and I hav'nt practiced it in a while and the break from it has made a noticable improvment. Smoothness and feel are still missing though. With the final one, I might leave it for now and work on the one you sugested. After I get it worked out it wil make the other one a breeze! biggrin.gif

Right, so back to it, Catch you soon

Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2014, 09:39 AM
Instructor
Hey again Tim!

Thank you for the update mate wink.gif I know you are a thorough kind of guy when it comes down to nailing something down to the very last detail, so I am sure you will do a very good job with these lessons as well. Looking forward to seeing the Tool lesson in the REC zone and if there are any questions on the others, I am here and waiting for your post smile.gif I think it's a good choice to tackle the bending based one among these, as it contains a lot of important details which will not only improve your technique but your vocabulary as well!

Let's rock!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Sep 3 2014, 08:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Cosmin

Its been a busy week so far. I've kept to my scheduele all week! No luck with the tool Rec, I just cant nail a good take! Soon!
Otherwise, Been working on the rest of the lessons and also the bending one. Its comming along nicely. Oh, and i've been putting my new headphones to the test and working again on the slash mix. It's also coming along nicely! Soon I'll have heaps of stuff put up on show!!

I Noticed something in my playing today. Its probably a common thing in others too! I noticed that for faster licks (The funk lesson) I subconiously tense up for the fast run. Bad old habit! I experimented a bit and found that if I really concentrate on staying relaxed, I can play the lick a lot better than normal. Its not rocket science I know, But its hard to deprogram these habits while your playing. They're just too deep! So something for me to work on too.

Anyway, till next time. Hope to have that Tool lesson up soon too! dry.gif

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2014, 07:26 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim wink.gif Take your time, buddy - I know that good things are not that easy to put into practice with amazing results, so I am a very patient man biggrin.gif

Now about the bad habits, yes Sir, I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why when I comment REC takes I am bugging people with keeping the same relaxed spirit when playing slow and when playing fast. It's not always - more often than not - easy to keep tension at bay, but if you focus on playing as relaxed and precise as possible at each tempo you are practicing, you will eventually nail it. There's another interesting thing here - de-tensing while you perform smile.gif There's this one point - maybe you have already tried this? - at which you are aware of tension and you are also aware of the way in which your body functions, so while playing you can effectively de-tense, or maybe spotting a little passage which is easier and you can de-tense there. There are all sorts of ways for this, but experimenting is clearly the way to do it and find out about how you feel. This one is very personal, because it's about feeling your body react to a stimulus - speed and complexity in a phrase - and that's something which happens differently for each one of us.

Looking forward to see your recordings, mate!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Sep 20 2014, 07:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
Cosmin!

Its been a while!
Its been busy busy here, but productive! Been working away slow and steady and getting results.

About tenseness. Thanks for the advice last time round, I think its just a matter of making a new habit. I do try to catch myself doing it while playing, Its interesting how my playing can go into "'auto pilot" when my mind wanders off. Naturally the tenseness and other bad habits kick in! I find that by consciously spotting it and correcting it as I go, it will lessen over time. Also as you mentioned, relaxed slow practice helps too!

So, a Rec! I think i finally got a good take on this one. Its been floating around for a bit too long, so i'll be happy to see it go!

With the current lessons, I find im at a point with them all where they need a little time to sink ín'. They are extremely close, but not quite. I find by leaving them a week or two i'll be able to nail them no problem when i come back to them. So im going to practice a few other lessons that have been put on the "'come back to'' pile and see if they have ripened! Unless you have other suggestions?

Oh, and im setting a deadline for the slash track for this weekend. Its nearly there, and its really been dragging on way too long. So I'll put the finishing touches on it and move on to something new!

Stay tuned!

Tim

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Sep 20 2014, 07:35 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2014, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Glad to see you are working hard matey! biggrin.gif I think the Tool lesson is coming out great, but please check out the phrase between 0:11 and 0:18 as I think it's missing some notes there. Too bad as the rest is spotless! Please bring that phrase up to par as well and let's see this one in the REC.

As for the other lessons, I think that more lessons, aside from the ones you are practicing right now, would be a bit too much, so focus on what you have at hand and let's finish them, otherwise, there will always be more and more and you will never get to finish what you started wink.gif

Now that's something I'd like to try to avoid, so please tell me, what would be next in line from the 'comeback to' pile?

About relaxing wink.gif That has to become something natural to you - so please focus on it by simply being aware of your body's reactions and of what you are playing and all will be well!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Sep 23 2014, 06:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

This damn Lesson will be the death of me! But you are right about the notes. I looked into it yesterday and I tried to record just that bit on its own and I found that no matter how I muted those notes I just couldn't get them to sound out properly and sound good when recorded. Im starting to suspect that it may be something to do with the tone im using? What are your thoughts on this? have you had similar experiences or is just a case of how im playing them?

Again, you are right about sticking to the lessons. They do feel stuck, but I guess I already have way too many in progress. It just gets frustrating as I feel like I'm really close to a threshold and I just cant get over it. All of the things im working on seem to be just beyond it! I'll be diligent and keep at them.

Here's what I plan to tackle next,

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/German...Blind-Guardian/
The alternate picking part is still a problem though

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/
This one is pretty close i think

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Combin...ios-And-Scales/
This little ditty has become a lot easier since I finished the Intervals etude, so I think its time for it to get done too

Finally, some good news! Like I said, I wanted to have the Slash track done on the week end. Its far from perfect, But I just dont know how I would improve it further. My skills and knowledge just isnt that advanced yet. Also, It will never be perfect. I could work on it endlessly and take feedback from everyone but when would it end?? Plus I find that my playing lacks sometimes. I could totally play the song much better now day! Its time to move on, Its been a huge learning experience, and its dragged on for about a year now! But Im happy with the outcome! Onto something new mow. Maybe some originals material

So, let me know your thoughts on all this, and Ill get back to that damn Lesson!!

Tim

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/168968459&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Sep 23 2014, 06:59 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 23 2014, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Hehe! Sorry I had to burst the bubble dude smile.gif Well, the tone is very nice - it's just a matter of perception. I mean, sometimes, somethings stay hidden to us until a moment when we learn how to listen first and then play smile.gif It may sound esoterical, but this is what I experienced. Until someone pulled my sleeve on something, I was deaf to it and after that I started hearing that thing and understood it so that I could also play it.

About the mix - I am listening on my laptop as I am in Scotland right now and things sound good to me - I think the bass could be a little more upfront, but you are right, it was a step in your evolution and I think it sounds very good for a mix done at home. The guitars are very natural and warm, which matters A LOT. If you want some other opinions on the matter, you can post it in the Practice room as well. I am sure Tony or Gabi, who have substantially a lot more knowledge than myself, can throw in an important opinion as well.

As for the lessons - sticking to them until you get them done is always a good choice - maybe starting with 75 % speed recordings for each, making sure they are in good timing, groove and articulation/feel. What do you think?

QUOTE (Timmy b @ Sep 23 2014, 05:57 AM) *
Hi Cosmin

This damn Lesson will be the death of me! But you are right about the notes. I looked into it yesterday and I tried to record just that bit on its own and I found that no matter how I muted those notes I just couldn't get them to sound out properly and sound good when recorded. Im starting to suspect that it may be something to do with the tone im using? What are your thoughts on this? have you had similar experiences or is just a case of how im playing them?

Again, you are right about sticking to the lessons. They do feel stuck, but I guess I already have way too many in progress. It just gets frustrating as I feel like I'm really close to a threshold and I just cant get over it. All of the things im working on seem to be just beyond it! I'll be diligent and keep at them.

Here's what I plan to tackle next,

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/German...Blind-Guardian/
The alternate picking part is still a problem though

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/
This one is pretty close i think

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Combin...ios-And-Scales/
This little ditty has become a lot easier since I finished the Intervals etude, so I think its time for it to get done too

Finally, some good news! Like I said, I wanted to have the Slash track done on the week end. Its far from perfect, But I just dont know how I would improve it further. My skills and knowledge just isnt that advanced yet. Also, It will never be perfect. I could work on it endlessly and take feedback from everyone but when would it end?? Plus I find that my playing lacks sometimes. I could totally play the song much better now day! Its time to move on, Its been a huge learning experience, and its dragged on for about a year now! But Im happy with the outcome! Onto something new mow. Maybe some originals material

So, let me know your thoughts on all this, and Ill get back to that damn Lesson!!

Tim

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/168968459&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Sep 23 2014, 08:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 23 2014, 12:33 PM) *
Hehe! Sorry I had to burst the bubble dude smile.gif Well, the tone is very nice - it's just a matter of perception. I mean, sometimes, somethings stay hidden to us until a moment when we learn how to listen first and then play smile.gif It may sound esoterical, but this is what I experienced. Until someone pulled my sleeve on something, I was deaf to it and after that I started hearing that thing and understood it so that I could also play it.

About the mix - I am listening on my laptop as I am in Scotland right now and things sound good to me - I think the bass could be a little more upfront, but you are right, it was a step in your evolution and I think it sounds very good for a mix done at home. The guitars are very natural and warm, which matters A LOT. If you want some other opinions on the matter, you can post it in the Practice room as well. I am sure Tony or Gabi, who have substantially a lot more knowledge than myself, can throw in an important opinion as well.

As for the lessons - sticking to them until you get them done is always a good choice - maybe starting with 75 % speed recordings for each, making sure they are in good timing, groove and articulation/feel. What do you think?

Thats ok, I got tough skin! But that makes sence. I find that if I practice something to long, it starts to loose meaning and I sometimes start practising it the wrong way. I slowed this bit down again and I think I may have found the problem. I'll practice it slow for a little while and then try again.

About the mix, Like I said im happy with it, except for the drums. Im a little disappointed there. But otherwise the guitars sound great! Your right about the bass on a laptop, but I found it was at a good level on other sound systems. I will post it up again in the practice room along side the 1st mix.

Deal, Ill get some slower versions done and put up a mix vid for you soon.

Tim

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Sep 23 2014, 08:13 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 24 2014, 06:25 PM
Instructor
I know what you are talking about man - it's all about losing motivation. Usually, when you have deadlines imposed by other external factors - gigs, recording sessions or so, motivation is usually not such a big requirement, especially if you like what you are doing.

It's when you stop enjoying doing something because of the many deadlines, that things become problematic.

Maybe you should start your own Youtube channel which should become a nice deadline provider smile.gif That means - posting a video at a certain period of time and keeping your fans informed and updated with your activity. Have you thought about that?

Looking forward to the slowed down versions smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 24 2014, 06:26 PM

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 2 2014, 09:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

Interesting points there.
I find that motivation to play is not usually an issue I have lately. having so many started lessons that I cant seem to get finished is another thing. It can get a bit frustrating and monotonous. As for deadlines, I find that I don't really need deadlines to be productive. I am able to study things without really needing the time pressure. As for youtube, I dont think thats really something I would like to do at this stage. Maybe in the future It will be more my thing.

Anyway, Ive been working on these 3 lessons and learning some new songs/stuff on the side. I made an interesting discovery while doing these vids. Firstly, getting the timing right at these lower tempos was a bit of a challenge, so sometimes its not quite spot on. Secondly, I found that these vids came together extremely quickly. Not having the pressure of having "perfect takes" maybe made me relax more and get them done with less major screw ups. Sure, they're not perfect but they were done ina couple takes, much better than what it usually takes!

Anyway, Like I said, they're not perfect and there's still more work to be done. I've made a few notes for myself, but im curious if you pick up on anything else that I missed.

Look forward to your feedback.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I think that you only need to keep working then, otherwise, I thought you had a problem with getting the right motivation. With the Youtube thing - if it's not something you really want, then it's obvious that you shouldn't do it. For me, it worked because knowing that I had to post videos often, kept me working at a certain level. I kind of became a slacker biggrin.gif I'm lucky that I have to come up with a few reviews from time to time for PRS or lately for Elixir, that keep me in the loop.

Anyway - the first piece is a very dear one to me, as it was written in the memory of a person who cared a lot about our music at that time - you did a very fine job here! Aside that missed chord at 01:53, I think it sounds lovely - thank you for the interpretation smile.gif It's incredible to hear it played by someone else...

The second one - in the beginning, the groove is not that solid wink.gif Just a matter of playing it more, most likely and then around 03:24 and 03:27 - the vibrato could be stronger.

For the third one - the vibrato in general should be stronger and more in pitch - I know it's difficult to adapt it to the slower tempo biggrin.gif Trust me, but you'll get there with the right control - otherwise, when the pieces goes lower, it sounds like an uber stoner metal groove - great! Also, around 04:59 that vibrato should be more controlled.

I think you are clearly on the right path and as you said, it's a lot easier for the psyche to interpret them at a slower tempo, technique aside and speed and everything. It's pure psychological comfort! wink.gif Keep it up and please do keep me in the loop!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 6 2014, 10:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

Glad you liked the 1st one. Its a very interesting piece and quite difficult to get the technique and feel right! keeping the volume levels with the finger picking stuff even. that last chord is still a bit tricky to get every time.

The vibrato on full bend notes is still an issue. There is still a lack of control and confidence I fell its getting better lately. but there's still more to work on there.

Ill, keep working on them and i'll keep you updated.

EDIT
Also here's a sample from the tool lesson for you to scrutinise. I think its slowly going into the right direction.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/170918219&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Tim

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Oct 6 2014, 08:10 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 7 2014, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy! smile.gif Vibrato while bending is a thing that has to do a lot with attitude - put some soul into it and it'll work even better wink.gif I want you to take some time and read Victor Wooten's 'The music lesson' - you will see things a bit differently after that, as it talks about all the important elements that make music up. I noticed that you usually know what you have to do in respect to bettering up your takes, so let's see the changes implemented, deal? Slow tempo, for control and if we're on the good track, we'll speed up wink.gif

About the Tool sections - I think this is good - it will be even more nicely cut and defined, after syncing in with the drums smile.gif Looking forward for the next vids, mate!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 17 2014, 09:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Cosmin!
A quick update for you. Working on the lessons slowly but surely they're getting there. the vibrato is getting much stronger, and the groove in the funk is getting there wink.gif getting all the details sorted out. Im hoping to get some new takes done next week for you,I feel like they are getting close.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 7 2014, 04:38 PM) *
I noticed that you usually know what you have to do in respect to bettering up your takes, so let's see the changes implemented, deal? Slow tempo, for control and if we're on the good track, we'll speed up wink.gif

Did you mean that i should do them at a slower speed again? or should I try them up to speed? I didn't understand what you meant here?

The tool lesson. Great to hear that its sounding right! I'll try to knock that one off too. I'd love to see that one go wink.gif

Victor wooten is a very interesting guy! I've watched a few videos about him and he has a very interesting approach and philosophy to music. Ill but the book on my to read list!

Otherwise, All is good here, Busy working, busy playing. I have noticed that in improvement in my playing lately. Its always improving but we dont always notice it, do we. But im noticing that things that not long ago were beyond my abilities, are now becoming doable and natural. pretty cool feeling!

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 18 2014, 01:00 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim! Glad to hear you are being busy and up to no good with your guitar biggrin.gif

About your question - what I meant, is that you have good senses and in general you nail your mistakes by yourself, so all you need to do is slow down and isolate the passages which still pose trouble, work on them in order to gain control and confidence and then re-implement them into the context. You don't need to send me slowed down vids, as we have both agreed on what you need to do - that changes only if you consider that you have something that you want to discuss together in the takes and you think that a slow recording might help wink.gif

Progress, from a certain point on, is not that easily visible biggrin.gif It's like working legs at the gym - it's the one group that you never see progress with, but the body feels it and it thanks you for... not skipping leg day laugh.gif Feeling things and natural reaction, are some of the most improtant aspects in pretty much anything we do and sometimes, we tend to overlook when these aspects start occuring, as we kind of take them for granted. But hey, it's never enough usually and we strive for more, as any serious guy/gal aims for when it comes down to playing and developing oneself wink.gif

I will see Victor perform this Thursday live in Bucharest in one of the nicest sounding music venues smile.gif I am really thrilled and I do hope I will get to talk to him about the book. I have so many questions...

Please do keep me updated on the lessons, deal?

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 26 2014, 09:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
Cosmin!

Hey there! hows it going?
Thanks for the clarification on the Rec stuff, makes sense. The Lessons are coming along, getting closer but not quite there, still afew small aspects that need slow work. The Vibrato is getting a lot better, I should be able to get that lesson done soon. The Funk groove is starting to happen! Just the fast lick near the end is giving me trouble, old playing habits still holding that back. And your lesson is quite good too. Messing with the tone a bit right now. I've found that slight changes can really alter the feel and the ease of playing it. Oh, and I nearly got a perfect take on the tool lesson today! Next time I should nail it! biggrin.gif
So, all coming allong well!

Your right about the progress stuff too. I find it also in other aspects of life too, like learning a language. While I've been learning German i've had a few times when It felt like i wasn't getting better, but then suddenly it all just clicks and works again.
I've talked about it in the past that I felt like I was at a threshold/barrier with my playing, but now i'm feeling that i've gotten past it. Certain things are more natural to play now.

And how was the Victor wooten concert?

Anyway, Ill keep you posted on how the lessons are coming along.

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 27 2014, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Glad to hear that everything is coming along well, mate wink.gif You know, us humans - out of what I have noticed, have the following learning curve:

new concept -> understanding -> asimilating ->implementing -> perfecting

I think that each of the steps is very different from a person to another, but the last one can be very deceiving because it sometimes takes A LOT more than expected and some folks just tend to give up. But as you said, you MAY have the sensation that things are stalling, but your brain and senses are continuously working wink.gif

Wooten's gig was simply breathtaking - so much sensibility and expression! Amazing playing and musicianship PLUS an uber stage show in just 4 guys biggrin.gif

Here's a pic and a recording (from Montreal tho) of a song he did in Bucharest as well:

Let's see some recordings then and we'll discuss on them wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 6 2014, 01:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Mate,

Interesting thoughts on progress and the way skills develop. It can be frustrating at times though, as you've probably exerienced too.

The concert footage was great! Must have been a great experience mate! I'm more and more intrigued by this guy! wink.gif

But now to business,

Lessons are coming along great! Should be able to post a Rec of them very soon! In the mean time though, I think I have a good take of the Tool lesson. Thought I'd get your opinion on it to see if its a go-ahead. Im having trouble evaluating it objectivly tongue.gif
Its just audio for now, but if its a go, i'll put the video to it and post it.

https://soundcloud.com/user464214836/tool-lesson-take-3

See what you think

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2014, 08:44 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim smile.gif Well, it was indeed a great experience and this guy knows a lot about music - If I haven't already told you this, I will tell it to you now: Get his book - 'The music lesson' smile.gif It opened up my eyes on practicing, understanding and making music in general.

Anyway, I have listened to the recording and if you nail it like this in the video, you are good to go if you ask me biggrin.gif I think that all that practice payed up and you have a take that has great timing, definition, groove and articulation wink.gif How are the rest faring?

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:01 AM