> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Rhida's Music Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2014, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Great! Please keep me updated. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 8 2014, 03:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey
Here's my work in progress for hopefully the current collab.
Been working on my bending a lot the last 48 hrs and I found that I was not really pushing with my middle finger all these years when I was bending with my ring finger.
I need a lot of concentration to change this bad habit but I can make my bends on pitch almost regularly and with less effort that way.
It's a big big breakthrough for me!
The recording is not perfect because the bad habit want to come back when I play in a live situation (but no more when I practice bending in isolation smile.gif ) but I wanted to know if I was practicing the right way.
I still tense a lot with my fretting hand although it's much better these last 2 weeks (been working on that too, slowly relaxed and in control).
All the vibratos are made with my left hand only.

Take care!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 10 2014, 08:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to know that you know this now. I'm sure that you'll feel more comfortable with some more days of practice.
I'm getting back from a short tour with Cirse. I'll check the audio as soon I arrive home.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2014, 01:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! I'm here again to give you feedback about your current take. There are very important improvements on this take and this means that you took my feedback and used it to polish your take. Timing is better in most of the parts, I just find some problems in the last 2 licks which seem to still be a bit tricky for you, but not impossible. Isolate them and practice as exercises, playing looped over a metronome. The first part sounds better now, it sounds cleaner and more connected with the backing. Then, the bends starts and let me say that this time most of them reach the correct pitch! I can note that you are not still comfortable, and I note it because the phrases don't sound smooth but you are definitely on the right track.

The good part of working on this solo is that you have composed a solo that is a killer etude for bending based on your own style. This is the best way to improve our playing and keeping creative at the same time. The next step, if you still want to keep on improving this one, would be to listen to your solo as if you were just a listener and mark those parts that are amazing and those parts that aren't. Delete the parts that "aren't" in your project and try to work on new ideas for this sections. If you repeat this process any times, your solo will slowly become better and better, and you will keep on finding your own style.

When I hear the solo, I feel that you could make the central phrases even more defined and catchy. It seems that the whole composition doesn't have a clear direction. One of my tricks to get more defined phrases and melodies is to create them with my voice and then transpose it to my guitar. Sometimes we are more limited with the guitar than with our mind (this happens when you don't have a good connection between mind and fret-board). Our playing has limits, our mind is limitless, so experiment with this possibility as a first exercise to train this important connection.

Ok mate, you are doing a very good job with this one. Please try this ideas, tell me what you think and share with me a new take if there is one.

Keep on rocking. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 21 2014, 05:59 PM
Hi Gabriel

Hope everything is fine at the moment for you.

Here are my videos for the blues rock collab. It's the best I can do for the moment and my final takes. I have already sent all the files to Cosmin.

Take care.

http://youtu.be/-1CV2g9fPLg

http://youtu.be/msjKoQSJVdo

This post has been edited by Rhida: Aug 21 2014, 06:10 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2014, 09:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! Great to see that you took my comments and worked on those things to improve your take. I can notice a big improvement comparing your first take and this final one. Thanks for taking the time to give the best from you for this collab. We will use it for the final mix and give you specific feedback based on your full take. smile.gif But to summarize, let me say that your bending technique is better as well as your vibrato. You still need to work on them diary but you are on the right track.

How is your current routine going? Do you think that it's time to renew it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 23 2014, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the comments!

I've been thinking a lot about my practice routine and what I can do to improve it.

I've learned a lot since joining here and I've been more aware of my weaknesses and my goals have changed quite a bit.

My long terms goals remain unchanged however.

I am back to basics lately because I have poor finger independance and I tense a lot when using any combination involving the third and fourth finger (fretting hand), even worse when these two are involved. Even playing power chords give me some kind of trouble!
This is where I am today : I am more of a level 1-2 student. I know that and it's a good thing actually!

My goals now.

I want to make one note sounding really good before tackling long speedy runs.
I want to bulid self-confidence in my playing abilities along with phrasing and technique.
Lately I 've been looking at some very good lessons from the beginner corner (13, 20, 21 and 22).
I want my fretting hand to be more relaxed (actually I developped more and more tension these past years because I wanted to improve so much I developped bad habits).
So for now, my goal is to play effortlessly what I can play at my true real level.

I want to make good music now and build on that, enjoying the journey and developping good technique at my space and not trying to rush it (I was guilty of this for so long now) , not compare myself to others (this can hurt! smile.gif ), and truly enjoying the guitar, playing it, living it and enjoying music.
At my age, I finally learned that playing guitar and making music is a gift I must embrace and taking joy from it.

Thanks GMC and you Gabriel you rule.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2014, 12:42 AM
Instructor
Hi Rhida, thanks for this post. I have to say that these are very wise words. Enjoying the journey is everything! Guitar and music are endless, if you love it, you will always be exploring and discovering new things. Also, "making music" must be our short and longs term goal, no matter if you are level 2 or level 10, your goals must be making music with the tools that you already now and with the things that you are working, if not, nothing makes sense.

Getting back to basics is always good. We tend to let some wholes in our learning progress and then this holes give us some problems. Reviewing the basic concepts is always good to fix this issues and to adjust details. Beginner's Corner series are a must, there are many important concepts covered there. Also we have a killer series with technique exercise that worked every day, can be very helpful: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...r-Independence/

So, how are you going to organize your diary practice time?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 25 2014, 08:46 PM
Hi Gab

Lot of thoughts lately of where I am today and where I want to be later in my guitar playing.
But after days of trials and errors I think that I found the "perfect practice" routine for now anyway.

Here it is

Warming up (10 minutes)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...independence-I/

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
mission 2 of Todd's bootcamp

Legato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...r-22-Hammer-On/
along with drills from Ben's Land Of Legato 1

Bending (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...String-Bending/
Hopefully I will submit a video of this in the REC section by the end of the week.

Edit : actually I posted a video from my morning practice session and I shared it to have feedbacks to know where I must put my efforts, timing issue and bending on pitch are far from perfect but I will get there in a few days I think. Here's the video :

Vibrato (10 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/
to perfect my technique when I add vibrato to other lessons.

Metal Rhythm (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-Power-Chords/ (because I'm not at ease when playing power chords with three fingers)

Scales (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/master...n_caged_method/
I know the pentatonics and the 3 nps patterns very well but not these ones can you believe it?

Creative Stuf f: IMPROVISATION COURSE FROM ZERO TO HERO (20 minutes)

I am a head school guitar teacher and I have an acoustic guitar at the office because we do some simple easy strumming songs with my pupils and I can easily add 30 minutes of practice so next week (I am back to work) I will practice these lessons
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn..._1_Open_Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...Picking-Chords/
because I want to improve in these areas too.

Because of you and the wonderful lessons and support you guys give us here I am more motivated than ever and I can devote at least 3hrs per day for my guitar playing.

This post has been edited by Rhida: Aug 27 2014, 05:47 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2014, 06:18 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida, I have to say that I'm so happy of finding this routine designed by yourself. It's excellent! You covered all the important aspects, including warming up/massages, a creative workout and also some acoustic stuff. It's a killer workout man, I'm proud of you. If you can keep a diary 3 hours practice, your guitar playing will improve drastically! smile.gif

About the bending lesson, I think that you are doing a good job because most of the bends reach the correct pitch, but you are not still comfortable with the technique. Your left hand needs more training to have enough strengh to make the bends more comfortable for you, in order to make everything sound more natural (both bending and vibrato). Please keep on playing this lesson every day, and add the fantastic exercise that Ben shared below your REC take post.

Ok mate, again, congrats on your energy and motivation. Keep on rocking. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 1 2014, 05:33 PM
Hi Gab!
Thanks for your comments here and your feedbacks at the REC section.
So what lesson do you suggest to work more closely on my string bending technique?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2014, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! Well, at first I would like to ask you, are you working on this exercise every day?

and besides that, I think that this lesson is a good idea: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 2 2014, 05:49 PM
Yes Gab I'm working everyday doing the exercise given by Ben on this video.
I use my ear and sometimes I check if I am right with my tuner.
Good one with the string bending lesson. I will definitely work on that.
I began my acoustic routine yesterday so these are the 2 lessons I decided to work on

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn..._1_Open_Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Goo-Goo-Dolls-Style/
Good work on this one friend. I love it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2014, 01:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! The plan looks great. Start working on those lessons and let me know how it feels.
Looking forward your videos. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 4 2014, 10:07 PM
Hey Gab!
Here's a little theme 15 seconds or so I recorded based on the first lesson of the IMPROVISATION COURSE FROM ZERO TO HERO.
Just let me know if I am on the right track.
Thanks.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2014, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida, nice to find this recording here. You are definitely on the right track with this workout. These melodies sound good over the progression so keep on experimenting with it.

In the last session I explained how you can use these workouts to work on techniques like alternate picking, legato, vibrato and bending so it would be good if you replay this week's video.

Also, based on your last recording for the collab, I think that it would be important to focus your practice on:

- Bending
- Vibrato
- Alternate Picking
- Improvisation Course

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 5 2014, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah!
I am definitely on it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2014, 03:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rhida @ Sep 5 2014, 11:01 AM) *
Oh yeah!
I am definitely on it!

Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 6 2014, 10:04 AM
Hi!
Just picked this lesson last sunday to help me with my alternate picking in a musical context.
So here's the video I just submitted at the REC sction.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 6 2014, 05:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! I have to say that it has been a great decision to work on this lesson. You definitely need to improve your Alternate picking lesson over a musical context. You tend to play a bit before the beat and this give you timing issues in the whole take. It's not something dramatic but you should adjust it. This lesson is based on 8th notes, this means that you play 2 notes per beat all the time. You have to focus on that figure and use your head of foot to mark the beat in order to feel the groove instead of thinking on it.

Once you master timing, the next step is mastering dynamics. When we play alternate picking we usually play the note over the beat with a little accent that helps to mark and define a bit more the rhythm. I recommend you to start experimenting with it.

Ok mate, please keep on practicing this lesson some more days and then share a new take.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:53 PM