3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Does Technique Limit Expression?, what does everybody think?
Noangels
Dec 2 2008, 03:15 PM
GMC:er
I think you have to be an all rounded player these days,and back from my early days with no teacher for many years i naturaly worked alternate,economy,sweeping and legato into my playing without devoting a lot of time to each style.There not realy that hard to do,to be honest!So theres no excuse to not adding those sounds/styles to your playing.
The hard part comes in note choice and timing

one thing I am very weak on is tapping as I havnt realy learnt a great deal in the past with that style as I kind of done the same sounding stuff with out it-but its a cool sound,another colour to use so when I get the time I will have to dig out the lessons here from the dudes who slip it into their playing from time to time with great results

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Dec 2 2008, 07:42 PM
Instructor
I kind of think that limitation can sometimes be the catalyst for creating your own sound or style.

Take a player for example like Reb Beach, he has stated on numerous occasion that he had trouble with position shifting for fast ascending runs. He wanted to do them but his index finger always wanted to be anchored to the fretboard. Instead of banging his head on a wall to fix the problem he found a way around it and created his own style to do it, thats why he has a unique tapping style when soloing because he couldnt do it the other way.

Do i think that Satriani or Holdsworth or Gambale have limitations? I sure do...everyone is human there are things that are just beyond someone no matter if its mental or physical. I am not so sure that Satriani is limited in alternate picking though. If you listen to alot of his early work there is alot of alternate picking style stuff. I just think as time went by he felt that his fretboard touch was more important than his picking.

I also think that certain skills can limit you in expressing yourself. Yngwie comes to mind, i think he has been playing fast for so many years his muscle memory is addicted to it. I think he can play slow if he really really concentrates on it but his hands always want to move to lightning speed. Its like an addiction.

On the other hand you look at someone like Andy Timmons, he can do it all. But i think this stems from the fact that for years and years before his playing in a band or solo career he was a session player. When your a studio musician your skills have to run the gambit if you want to be in demand. Even to this day Andy Timmons is the most sought after and one of the highest paid studio musicians.

Or all of this could just come down to who influenced them, Eric Johnson said that he feels that someones style is the absorbtion and reguritation of all the people who are your biggest influences. You may start out playing someone note for note but after awhile it changes into something new because of your own ideas.

I can definately see this in my own playing and hear all the influences when i listen for them, but you the listener don't hear them all.

Daniel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:54 PM