Circular Vibrato(r) Question For Ben
Bluesberry
Sep 27 2010, 01:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Ben,

firstly: you have an awesome vibrato. Made me realize how bad my vibrato is and also that vibrato is actually more important (for me) than being able to play fast - since vibrato gives the soul to anyone's playing.

I've been trying your Vibrato Odyssey 1 and 2 lessons. I'm ok with the classical vibrato, just need to train it for like a million years, but I don't quite understand the circular vibrato technique. Do you play the vibrato up AND down or up OR down? I think it's something like this: as I push the string "forward" (towards the "horns" in a guitar that has them), I make a large motion downwards, thus bending the string. And as I return and push the string towards the headstock, I make a motion upwards (but not NEARLY as big as the motion downwards), bending the string slightly. Am I right?

Although I've been analyzing it like this, I actually don't think about it that much. This question popped into my mind, but mostly I just try to "feel" the vibrato and train it as much as possible. I think the "feel" and the "touch" are the most important things when training vibrato...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 27 2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
LoL! - the topic!!! Ben is getting famous here.. wink.gif

I thought somebody updated my topic.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

From what I have learnt, you are just pulling the string down and up but while you are using circular motion, you will also be sliding the finger sideways. It was pretty hard for me but after doing it all the time, I guess, I only do this vibrato now. Its not perfect though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Sep 27 2010, 04:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I actually did know that much. smile.gif The question was actually about the situation where I reach the original height of the string, do I pull it upwards (thus bending it again) as I reach for the headstock?

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 27 2010, 05:00 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Its a circle I guess.. so its like go down.. towards headstock, go up .. and then go towards body.. repeat.. lol!

and you have to go equally as it would in simple vibrato. otherwise pitch will be different making it unpleasant.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 27 2010, 05:42 PM
GMC:er
If you go towards the headstock first, then you're raising the pitch first. That's the same as standard vibrato. If you press towards the bridge first, you're lowering the tension in the string between your finger and the bridge, thus lowering the pitch, and that gives you a different result which is the only real purpose behind circular vibrato.

You can get the same thing from classical vibrato if you press towards the bridge first (going neither down nor up, just bridge/nut/bridge/nut).

It's easiest to test on string 1 and without any fastfret or other viscous crap on your fingers.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2010, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristian Hyvarinen @ Sep 27 2010, 01:44 PM) *
Hi Ben,

firstly: you have an awesome vibrato. Made me realize how bad my vibrato is and also that vibrato is actually more important (for me) than being able to play fast - since vibrato gives the soul to anyone's playing.

I've been trying your Vibrato Odyssey 1 and 2 lessons. I'm ok with the classical vibrato, just need to train it for like a million years, but I don't quite understand the circular vibrato technique. Do you play the vibrato up AND down or up OR down? I think it's something like this: as I push the string "forward" (towards the "horns" in a guitar that has them), I make a large motion downwards, thus bending the string. And as I return and push the string towards the headstock, I make a motion upwards (but not NEARLY as big as the motion downwards), bending the string slightly. Am I right?

Although I've been analyzing it like this, I actually don't think about it that much. This question popped into my mind, but mostly I just try to "feel" the vibrato and train it as much as possible. I think the "feel" and the "touch" are the most important things when training vibrato...

Hi Kristian !

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments and sorry I missed this yesterday. You will be pleased to know that is EXACTLY how I do it. I don't consciously push the string up towards the headstock anymore.. I'm only aware of my fingers making a circular motion.

The main reason I identified the key movements is to get people started on the circular motion. After a while of practising it and getting better.. you will notice that the movements become less deliberate and more normal. Basically like learning any new technique. When you start something new -your movements are exaggerated. However, the better you get - the less effort and movement you seem to put into it. So I would say that you seem to be doing it perfectly... that is EXACTLY how I developed it. Good work !!

The most difficult place to use this technique is definitely on the high E string, as you can only direct your fingers upwards, otherwise you'd fall off the fretboard tongue.gif So that will take a bit more practice dedicated to that, which I could also do with myself !!

So yes, to summarise. At the start, your movements will be more exaggerated.. but after a while your fingers will settle into their natural groove of performing this technique. You are absolutely on track with your approach and it is the best way to allow your feel to guide you !

QUOTE (maharzan @ Sep 27 2010, 02:33 PM) *
LoL! - the topic!!! Ben is getting famous here.. wink.gif

I thought somebody updated my topic.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

From what I have learnt, you are just pulling the string down and up but while you are using circular motion, you will also be sliding the finger sideways. It was pretty hard for me but after doing it all the time, I guess, I only do this vibrato now. Its not perfect though.

Hahaha.. I didn't see that at first !! biggrin.gif Glad that the legend of the Vibrator Question is still providing humour ! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 28 2010, 09:07 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:08 AM