Please, Enough With The Drawn Out Song Intros
Mudbone
Feb 15 2011, 06:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
When I'm at the gym, nothing gets my panties in bigger bunch than these long, drawn out song intros playing on my MP3 player ... well maybe someone not wiping their swamp *ss stain off the equipment would bother me more, but song intros come in a close second. I put some White Zombie on my player and the song "Electric Head Pt.1" started playing, and for those of you unfamiliar with that song, the actual music doesn't kick in until 1:20. And for one minute and twenty seconds my pump and intensity is put on hold. Its actually kick ass song to pump iron to - heavy tones and driving beats... good stuff.

Anyways, how do you guys feel about song intros? Do you feel like they should be on a separate track, so easily agitated people such as myself don't have to bear with it? Or do you think its an essential part of the song and can't be separated?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 15 2011, 10:49 AM
Learning Roadie
I certainly think intro's are an essential part of songs. I really love a good intro in a sense that it gives the band the opportunity to present something, you can start out sensitive and let the song get rougher as it continues or the other way around. There are really lots of things one can do with an intro, I think it can be used to make a statement that shouldn't be left out of songs...

About intro's that are 1:20 long....I don't think I'd like those either smile.gif So: "Use thy intro's wisely!" tongue.gif

I think it's the same with the bridge and the outro in a song, an opportunity to do something different. BUT: a good intro can't mask a bad song, I've had that experience with a song of John Norum, great intro, but didn't like the rest of it unfortunately.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 15 2011, 10:57 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I like song intros, if they are actually good. What I dislike is hearing the typical sepparate track intro or bridge in an album, which is usually a 1 minute track that makes no sense when listening to it with the ipod in "random" mode laugh.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Febren
Feb 15 2011, 11:11 AM
GMC:er
Well, after having listened to link he posted, I gotta stick with Mudbone.
Even though some intro's can be nice (the ones sound like they belong to the song) in my opinion, these are just plain annoying.
Twisted Transistor by Korn has the same problem, it doesn't start until about 0:48, and everytime my ipod shuffles that thing in my face, I'm inclined to speed up until there.

And different track... hmm, maybe if they have a certain musical quality that would be good to listen to.. I think that the White Zombie intro would fail as a seperate track though.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 15 2011, 07:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Mr. Crowley's intro is over 1 minute and I can't imagine that song not having that intro

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 15 2011, 10:48 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I actually think the opposite. When I see a 00:50 or 01:30 song before an actual song that is basically an Intro, I would much rather it just be part of a song.

I can listen to Dream Theater's "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" and that intro is almost 7 minutes laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 15 2011, 11:54 PM
Instructor
Intros are part of the overall music by definition,

But I see what you are saying, in some cases I would rather not have it, but on others is essential

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 16 2011, 12:36 AM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Feb 15 2011, 05:54 PM) *
Intros are part of the overall music by definition,

But I see what you are saying, in some cases I would rather not have it, but on others is essential

Let me just clarify something, its really just a certain type of intro that I think should be on a separate track. Like you said, some intros are essential to a song, an example would be the song "Am I Evil?" by Diamond Head (made popular by Metallica).

Heres another example of an intro that I think should be on its own separate track, hopefully you'll see where I'm going with this biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 15 2011, 04:57 AM) *
I like song intros, if they are actually good. What I dislike is hearing the typical sepparate track intro or bridge in an album, which is usually a 1 minute track that makes no sense when listening to it with the ipod in "random" mode laugh.gif smile.gif

Thats why you can never put an entire Tool album on your ipod and play it in shuffle mode wink.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2011, 08:23 AM
GMC:er
It would be handy if all intros were considered a separate track and you could skip them if you are at the gym smile.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Feb 17 2011, 03:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I love slow, long intros. It just builds and builds...makes the music hit much harder.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
Feb 17 2011, 03:38 PM
GMC Administrator
I have to agree with Mudbone. Some intro's are way to long. I'm not sure about you guys but when I'm listening to my iphone on shuffle, and a song comes on with an extremely long intro, at first I think I've lost connection and that the Iphone isn't working. Then after having to take it out and check it, I realize that it's an intro that's lasted for more 60 seconds. Annoying!

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 17 2011, 03:50 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I think intros can be essential for a song when they create a certain tension and anticipation, especially when the song kicks in really hard after the intro...but I'm with mudbone here, imagining my third set on the benchpress trying to get the last three reps won't work if a heavy song stops and a drawn out intro begins laugh.gif
Since some of you guys mentioned it: What's the deal wuth the random/shuffle mode? I never use that. I think a good album (even if it's not a concept album) should be listened to from beginning to end...because the tracks are arranged on the album in a certain way for a reason. Even the latest Linkin Park album is good when you listen to it from beggining to end (according to the band...didn't work for me).
Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 18 2011, 04:55 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Feb 17 2011, 09:12 AM) *
I love slow, long intros. It just builds and builds...makes the music hit much harder.

You do make a great point, and in that way I think the drawn out intros work perfectly. But what I'm really getting at is the intros composed mostly of sound effects and samples and what not biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 18 2011, 07:46 PM
Instructor
I love this intro

But it comes as a separate track as it should be smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:51 AM