3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Pedalboard => Hum Problem, Voodoo Lab PP2+ & Patchcable & Looper => Hum
Frankster
Nov 16 2014, 01:39 PM
GMC:er
Hi!

I feel like I'm starting to go crazy wink.gif

I have a noise problem with my new pedalboard and I think I found the guilty one.

My test objects are
- Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
- Moen GEC8 Jr
- 2 x 0,6m Cordial cable
- OCD Pedal

The patchcable isn´t very close to the power supply but I get a hum sad.gif

Here is the Video:

In YouTube there are people who put a pedal directly beneath or above the power supply, but I even have a chance to place the pedal near the PP2+

The problem isn´t a pedal, the problem is that the power supply beam like hell and the cable is an antenna.
If the pedal is directly connected to the amp => no hum
If the pedal is connected to the looper => hum

I´ve tested two loopers
- JOYO
- Moen GEC8 Jr

I´ve tested different cables
I´ve tested different pedals

Is this normal ?

I have no plan what I could do sad.gif

Many Thanks
Frankster

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Frankster: Nov 16 2014, 03:45 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 16 2014, 03:45 PM
Cables crossing over each other at right angles 'can' cause hum.

Put a battery in the pedal and try it.

Does it hum on the floor away from your amp?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 16 2014, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 16 2014, 03:45 PM) *
Put a battery in the pedal and try it.

No difference

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 16 2014, 03:45 PM) *
Does it hum on the floor away from your amp?

Yes

Another test:
Just connect the Return and Sender Input of the looper with one patchcable to close the Loop Nr 1. No pedal between.
Also this noise sad.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 16 2014, 04:04 PM
Maybe the looper or the pwr sply has a problem?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 16 2014, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 16 2014, 04:07 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 16 2014, 04:04 PM) *
Maybe the looper has a problem?

I´ve tested it with the JOYO and MOEN looper. Both have the same problem. But both are no high priced tools;)
I dont have another one sad.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 16 2014, 08:03 PM
Is the hum there without going through the loop?
Guitar > cable > pedal w/pwr sply > cable > amp

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 16 2014, 08:25 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 16 2014, 08:03 PM) *
Is the hum there without going through the loop?
Guitar > cable > pedal w/pwr sply > cable > amp

No ......
Without the looper, I can put the pedal and/or cable directly beside or above the power supply => no hum

I also tried to use an external power supply for the looper . Not the same one as for the pedals => No difference

I dont understand this whole Thing sad.gif
Creates the looper with the PP2+ an electromagnetic field ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2014, 08:46 PM
Sounds like you've isolated it to the looper? Maybe get a differnt looper box?

QUOTE (Frankster @ Nov 16 2014, 03:25 PM) *
No ......
Without the looper, I can put the pedal and/or cable directly beside or above the power supply => no hum

I also tried to use an external power supply for the looper . Not the same one as for the pedals => No difference

I dont understand this whole Thing sad.gif
Creates the looper with the PP2+ an electromagnetic field ?

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 16 2014, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 16 2014, 08:46 PM) *
Sounds like you've isolated it to the looper? Maybe get a differnt looper box?

I tried 3 different loopers
- Moen GEC8 Jr
- Harley Benton
- Joyo

This three loopers aren´t high priced tools, so maybe this is the reason why all of them have the same problem.
Next week I will get the Moen GEC9

And how can I isolated it to the looper ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2014, 06:06 PM
Plugin ONLY the looper smile.gif If the looper is the problem you'll get HUM!

QUOTE (Frankster @ Nov 16 2014, 04:11 PM) *
I tried 3 different loopers
- Moen GEC8 Jr
- Harley Benton
- Joyo

This three loopers aren´t high priced tools, so maybe this is the reason why all of them have the same problem.
Next week I will get the Moen GEC9

And how can I isolated it to the looper ?

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 17 2014, 06:33 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2014, 06:06 PM) *
Plugin ONLY the looper smile.gif If the looper is the problem you'll get HUM!

huh.gif

The looper alone without any cable is ok.

One patchcable connected with the looper from SEND to RETURN, without a pedal -> Big antenna wink.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 17 2014, 08:53 PM
Take it all to somebody else's house and try it.

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 17 2014, 09:04 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 17 2014, 08:53 PM) *
Take it all to somebody else's house and try it.

I already did it wink.gif
I tried it in the rehearsal room and in my house

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 18 2014, 11:53 AM
Instructor
Maybe there's a bad cable - have you tried the setup with all new cables? Borrow soome from a friend to see if the problem still persists!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 18 2014, 02:19 PM
Instructor
I had some problems even considering I've done all possible to avoid ground loops etc. I have even made my FCB1010 get an external power supply to place the transformer far away from wah wah coil. When I've added small lopper I had this problem but There was a magic switch (not called that way) like ground lift and it did the job. Try to search Your loopper for additional switches.

Also...DC power supply usually have separated outputs but it's worth trying to use one output with doubled plug to connect both devices to one power supply out. Ofcourse...If a summary of both devices current consumption doesn't not cross the limit for this particular output

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2014, 03:08 PM
It's starting to sound like you have some bad patch cables!! I'd say try to get some new/better patch cables maybe?

QUOTE (Frankster @ Nov 17 2014, 01:33 PM) *
huh.gif

The looper alone without any cable is ok.

One patchcable connected with the looper from SEND to RETURN, without a pedal -> Big antenna wink.gif

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 18 2014, 07:35 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 18 2014, 11:53 AM) *
Maybe there's a bad cable - have you tried the setup with all new cables? Borrow soome from a friend to see if the problem still persists!

I using this cables:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfi_06_rr.htm
I have 20 cables from this brand wink.gif
0,15m 0,3m 0,6m

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 18 2014, 02:19 PM) *
I had some problems even considering I've done all possible to avoid ground loops etc. I have even made my FCB1010 get an external power supply to place the transformer far away from wah wah coil. When I've added small lopper I had this problem but There was a magic switch (not called that way) like ground lift and it did the job. Try to search Your loopper for additional switches.

Also...DC power supply usually have separated outputs but it's worth trying to use one output with doubled plug to connect both devices to one power supply out. Ofcourse...If a summary of both devices current consumption doesn't not cross the limit for this particular output

It is not a ground loop problem. It looks like a shield problem from the cables sad.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 18 2014, 03:08 PM) *
It's starting to sound like you have some bad patch cables!! I'd say try to get some new/better patch cables maybe?

sad.gif
I dont wanna pay 10 EUR for one cable blink.gif

And here you can see a video without the looper

And this is something I dont understand. Without the looper I can put the pedal directly beside or above the power supply

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 18 2014, 09:17 PM
10 Euros for a cable - any length - is cheap.
The wire, the connectors and workmanship (soldering) will make a HUGE difference in the results.

1 to 3 meters of normal and decent quality guitar cable here in the states will run you a minimum of $20.00 US (16 euros).
Decent (no radio shack crap) fx patch cables (3" - 6") will run you no less than about $5.00 a piece and can be considerably more expensive.

Cheap cables can be a killer.
Start with some Spectraflex ... http://www.proguitar.de/ProGuitar.de/Spectraflex.html

+Quote Post
Frankster
Nov 18 2014, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 18 2014, 09:17 PM) *
10 Euros for a cable - any length - is cheap.
The wire, the connectors and workmanship (soldering) will make a HUGE difference in the results.

1 to 3 meters of normal and decent quality guitar cable here in the states will run you a minimum of $20.00 US (16 euros).
Decent (no radio shack crap) fx patch cables (3" - 6") will run you no less than about $5.00 a piece and can be considerably more expensive.

Cheap cables can be a killer.
Start with some Spectraflex ... http://www.proguitar.de/ProGuitar.de/Spectraflex.html

40 EUR für 30 cm ohmy.gif
Sorry, but no.........
I need 20 patchcables. I will not pay 800 EUR just for cables

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2014, 11:06 PM
Sadly, it may be that your cables are NOT properly shielded. You may just need to upgrade your cables. As KLAISAINE mentioned, SPECTRAFLEX makes great cables and thats about as "cheap" as I'd suggest. Anything less and guess what you get, HUM!!!!!!!!!

I know you don't wanna go broke buying cables. I'd start with a few patch cables. JUst to see if that fixes things. If in fact, it's your cheapy cables causing the problem, then there's nothing anyone can do about your hum problem sad.gif

Spectraflex cables are very reasonable considering they quality. On the "high end" are things like HESU cables which I just bought a couple of HESU patch cables and they are CRAZY PRICEY!!! But they are very nice cables! But you don't need to go that far I'd say smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 18 2014, 11:22 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:02 AM